An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Our New Members

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
:) so hi. can you explain to me what certain things mean?

swt?
hadith?
halal?
ameen? is that like amen just spelled differently?
pbuh - i've seen it in connection to Jesus.
dawah?
what is the whole thing about directing to a sister/brother? is that just terms that you use for male/female?
saws?
hadith?
hayaa?
what is the 'lowering your gaze' thing about?
haram?

please - no arguments. just seeking a clarification of terms. i know i have others but can't think of them as of yet.

+J.M.J.+
inshallah
Wallahu Alim
sabr

i ask all this because in reading your threads and forums, it is difficult to understand context when i don't understand all the words. thanks in advance.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='10 December 2009 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1260507155' post='2018181']
+J.M.J.+

swt?
hadith?
halal?
dawah?
what is the whole thing about directing to a sister/brother? is that just terms that you use for male/female?
saws?
hadith?
hayaa?
haram?

please - no arguments. just seeking a clarification of terms. i know i have others but can't think of them as of yet.
[/quote]

pbuh= peace be upon him, halal=permissable, dawah=spreading the islamic faith, hadih=collections of muhammad's sayings, saws=arabic version of pbuh, haram=forbidden, swt= subhanawataalah=exalted is allah

Yes ameen is amen.
and strictly dawah means inviting people to the truth
What do you mean by "what is the whole thing about directing to a sister/brother? is that just terms that you use for male/female?"
We call our brothers in faith as "brother" and like wise for sisters. Is that what you meant?
hayaa or hayat is modesty
lowering one's gaze is basically a command to lower one's gaze when talking to a member of the opposite sex.

[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 01:30 AM' timestamp='1260513001' post='2018247']
lowering one's gaze is basically a command to lower one's gaze when talking to a member of the opposite sex.
[/quote]
I'm curious about this.
Does this mean that you should avoid eye contact?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='11 December 2009 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1260513270' post='2018249']
I'm curious about this.
Does this mean that you should avoid eye contact?
[/quote]
Depends, some conservative people interpret it that way. Basically at the prophet's saws time there were people who walked around bare chested. (women included) and this was said in the context of not 'being distracted' while talking to those people. But of course most people understand this concept in social context. Meaning that if someone who you are talking to will be offended if you do not keep eye contact then you should keep eye contact.

[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1260513600' post='2018252']
Depends, some conservative people interpret it that way. Basically at the prophet's saws time there were people who walked around bare chested. (women included) and this was said in the context of not 'being distracted' while talking to those people. But of course most people understand this concept in social context. Meaning that if someone who you are talking to will be offended if you do not keep eye contact then you should keep eye contact.
[/quote]
I see. Thanks. :)

[quote name='Lil Red' date='10 December 2009 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1260507155' post='2018181']
+J.M.J.+

swt?
hadith?
halal?
dawah?
saws?
hadith?
hayaa?
haram?

[/quote]
Subhanahu wa ta'ala
like Glory to God, said after mentioning God's name a lot
Hadith are the collections of sayings and practices of Muhammad
Halal means like an Islamically good thing...sort of. Like permitted is ususally, but there is another term for things just allowed.
brother/sister-like brother or sister in Islam, or brother and sister in humanity. It comes from an old Sufi tradition I think
PBUH-Peace be upon him. You say it for respect after a prophet's name

The Qur'an commands believers to "lower their gaze", like not to lust after another. You don't gawk you "lower your gaze".

[quote name='Hassan' date='11 December 2009 - 02:53 AM' timestamp='1260514380' post='2018259']
Subhanahu wa ta'ala
like Glory to God, said after mentioning God's name a lot
Hadith are the collections of sayings and practices of Muhammad
Halal means like an Islamically good thing...sort of. Like permitted is ususally, but there is another term for things just allowed.
brother/sister-like brother or sister in Islam, or brother and sister in humanity. [b] It comes from an old Sufi tradition I think[/b]
PBUH-Peace be upon him. You say it for respect after a prophet's name

The Qur'an commands believers to "lower their gaze", like not to lust after another. You don't gawk you "lower your gaze".
[/quote]

Actually comes from Hadith.

[quote name='Hussain' date='11 December 2009 - 02:43 AM' timestamp='1260517384' post='2018273']
Actually comes from Hadith.
[/quote]

The calling non-Muslims a 'brother/sister in humanity'?

We believe we are all children of Addam (as) and therefore we are brothers and sisters in humanity.

However, Islam takes it to a whole new level of brothers and sisters in Islam.
This is one of the greatest relationships and truly a blessing. The bonds of brotherhood and sisterhood in Islam are just amazing. Time and again we are reminded about holding onto the relationships.

There are some Islamic scholars who addressed their teachers as "ya ikhwaan"
or oh brothers/oh brotherhood.

As for the Prophets Muhammad (s) we either say (s), (saw) or (pbuh)
arabic short, arabic longer, english peace be upon him.