An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope St. Gregory On The Muslims

Resurrexi

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='12 December 2009 - 04:15 AM' timestamp='1260551729' post='2018442']
Beautiful sentiments, but a papal diplomatic letter to the King of Mauritania has no dogmatic value.
[/quote]

It has sentiment and food for the soul, which is more important than dogmatic value! :saint:

I would contend that he didn't, and it really doesn't matter. There is a long list of statements made by Christian leaders until about the 18th century which show a basic misunderstanding of Islam and its doctrines and beliefs. But having said that, the one possible way this pope might of been able to find a latin copy of the quran would of been via the Sicily conquest(the 1st christian ruler was a major fan of arab/north africa culture)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Islam_in_southern_Italy#Decline_.281037.E2.80.931061.29_and_Norman_conquest_of_Muslim_Sicily_.281061.E2.80.931091.29

It was about the same time so its not totally implausible. But I'd put it more to the particular pope's personality/character then any knowledge of arabic. Pitty it didn't carry over after his death.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='14 December 2009 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1260829348' post='2020623']
It has sentiment and food for the soul, which is more important than dogmatic value! :saint:
[/quote]
We will have to agree to disagree. The dogmas of Orthodoxy bring salvation.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='14 December 2009 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1260826989' post='2020585']
YOU HAVE NO PROOF. End of story.
[/quote]

Nor did I state it was a fact, but my guess.

Jim

Edited by JimR-OCDS

It's a liberal thing, don't sweat it. Feelings have gotten us wonderful things like progressive(ly difficult) taxation. And handouts, which have elevated the poor out of their problems. Now they live in squalor and filth and lawlessness, but they have cable!

[quote name='Winchester' date='15 December 2009 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1260889675' post='2020920']
It's a liberal thing, don't sweat it. Feelings have gotten us wonderful things like progressive(ly difficult) taxation. And handouts, which have elevated the poor out of their problems. Now they live in squalor and filth and lawlessness, but they have cable!
[/quote]
:biglol:

Cable TV - The most effective welfare program.