An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are You A Christian?

Hussain

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='11 December 2009 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1260559874' post='2018548']
Because it is true.
[/quote]
Yes, plus as txdinghysailor pointed out: "Christians get all the hot girls." ;)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1260510433' post='2018229']
Then why did god create us with a mind that can not understand his nature?
[/quote]
We are finite humans on a small planet in a vast universe. If [i]God[/i] is so simple that I [ the finite tiny human] can can understand His nature [ He who made that vast universe] then he really wouldn't
be much of a [i]almighty[/i] god would he...

HisChildForever

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='11 December 2009 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1260562495' post='2018579']
She's not even engaged!!!!
[/quote]

@@

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hussain' date='11 December 2009 - 12:14 AM' timestamp='1260508458' post='2018200']
Good question. I am not because (don't take this the wrong way) it doesn't make logical sense to me. The 3 in 1 and 1 in 3 Godhead. I've heard all of the analogies too, the eggshell/eggwhite/yolk analogy, the ice/water/vapor analogy etc, and how it's impossible to fully grasp this idea because we're like a 2-d square trying to understand a 3d cube etc etc. My idea about Jesus, pbuh, is pretty simple, he was a great Prophet and his mother was one of, if not the greatest women to walk this earth. So a counter question, does the trinity make sense to you guys? Logically?
[/quote]

Yes the Trinity is logical. God declared in the beginning "Let [b]us[/b] make man to [b]our[/b] image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth."

God alone creates and gives life, no other, and clearly God is One Being. Yet this verse employs plural language, and Christ said the He and the Father are One. I believe you have difficulty understanding it because you have a difficulty understanding how one being can have distinct parts yet be one Being. Do you believe you have a soul? Do you believe you have a body? On this earth are not the two, One? Yes. This is not exactly like the Trinity but it is some what similar.

Also and back on topic to explain more why I am a Christian, because sin exist, and sin is always measured against the one sinned against. Man has sinned. Against who? Against God. Therefor man's debt is infinite because God is infinite. Yet man is finite, and cannot save himself. Only the Infinite can repay a infinite debt, yet it was man that sinned, not God. God in the person of Jesus Christ became man to pay the infinite debt man incurred. He payed that debt with the blood and sacrifice on the Cross. He laid down His life for His friends so that we maybe saved, Allah has not done this, Muhammad did not do this. How very blessed Christians are to have a God, the only God that loves us so that He would become one of us, one with us, and laid down His life to repay the debt we own Him! What an act of unselfish love, the truest of true love, Love itself.

Interesting to note is that Jesus Christ is the only 'religious leader' universally recognized by many religions in some way. Islam sees Him as a prophet, as do some Jews, Buddhist and Hindu see Him as wise and spiritual, other groups seen Him as good and wise, even some Atheists who believe Him to be nothing more than a man say that He was a good teacher. No other has this universality of respect.

It should be also noted Jesus Christ is also universally hated by many. Because Christ is the name above all names, His name can bring great joy to those that love Him, and great bitterness to those that hate Him.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='11 December 2009 - 08:23 AM' timestamp='1260537806' post='2018314']
Have any of you guys read the Athanasian Creed?

It's rather long, so read it or not if you're interested, but I think it's a beautiful explanation of the Trinity.
[/quote]

I love the Athanasian Creed. It's one of the best explanations of the Trinity I've ever seen.

In jest: "Because anything less would be uncivilized."

Actually, Catholicism squares with my intelligence and with my experience. No other religion or non-religion can make the same claim. I am also Catholic because I believe that Satan exists. Satan's existence is proof to me that God exists.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='10 December 2009 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1260507574' post='2018190']
I wish you'd have sent it to me instead. :P
[/quote]

haaaaaaa.
I brought one from the priory of the Fathers of the Blessed Sacrament in the city last night and then stayed to listen to them sing evening prayer :)

[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1260510433' post='2018229']
Then why did god create us with a mind that can not understand his nature?
[/quote]

If God is infinite then a finite creature can never fully comprehend him.

Mark of the Cross

All the parables and stories about Jesus make sense and are beautiful stories of how to live and love. I feel within my soul that what he says is true. I have sensed his presence and heard his wise words in my mind. If I believe in him and I'm wrong, then I will have lost nothing I won't even know that I'm wrong because I'll be dead. BUT if I'm right I will have attained an eternity of love and happiness. :saint:

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='OraProMe' date='12 December 2009 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1260581122' post='2018725']
I'm not a Catholic, just a violent papist.
[/quote]
I accidentally read that as violent rapist. :lol_roll: