An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are You A Christian?

Hussain

Catholicism came out as most likely to be true among all the belief systems I could find, after several years studying philosophy, history, sacred texts, and examining the current makeup of existing religious organizations.

I joined the Church, and in the subsequent two decades (as far as it is possible for me to tell this side of life) Catholic doctrines and practices have delivered on what they teach.

ChildoftheCreator

I am a Christian because... wow hard question, could you answer this same question about your faith in one sentence, it would be hard, I think.

I believe in Jesus because I believe that he existed, he wasn´t a liar, he wasn´t crazy, and he wasn´t just a good teacher, so he must have been the Messiah. It all comes down to the person of Jesus, for me. Then I don´t think that the Reformation should have happened, the counter-reformation, yes, but not the Reformation because Catholics/Orthodox/Coptics were the first Church.

[quote name='Hussain' date='10 December 2009 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1260486888' post='2017943']
Thanks for your responses. Keep them coming.
[/quote]
Why are you not Christian?

Servus_Mariae

Upon scrutiny in study, I have found that the Church is logically, socially, philosophically and theologically consistent in truth, and through contemplative prayer I have been confirmed in this experience of the indwelling Trinity.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Hussain' date='10 December 2009 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1260469287' post='2017604']
Hey, so I'm new here. I want to get to know how Christians feel about their faith. So please provide one or two sentences outlining why you are a Christian.

Thanks
[/quote]

Umm...I don't think that when one chooses a faith to live his life by it is ever for reasons that can be fit into one or two sentences unless they are very broad and thus say very little that can be discussed.

That being said, the reason I am Catholic is that I look around me and see the world and the people around me are broken, weak willed, and often cannot do the good they wish to do. Christians call it Original Sin. My parents were Catholic and I had been dragged to mass for the longest time so I started looking into the faith. This faith said that there was an absolute being who has been involved throughout human history and He wishes to restore our broken humanity. This also seemed to be the truth to me for many philosophic reasons. However, I am a material body and a spiritual soul united as one being. For that forgiveness and healing to be communicable to me and for me to know it, it must in some way show itself through the physical. The Church's sacramental theology is the only faith that satisfies this theological need as I understand it. This is why I am Catholic. It is philosophically whole and takes into account all parts of humanity (and all its consequences one of which I perceive as something like what Sacramental theology does) as well as reminds me that the Divine wishes to heal me, be in relationship with me, and created me. It also demands that I live this out and not simply treat it as a personal philosophy and gives me a community with a 2000 yr history do be a part of to help me.

Guess that was a bit more than one or two sentences haha.

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='hot stuff' date='10 December 2009 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1260487330' post='2017948']
If you hang out with Jesus and his mom enough, you just don't ever want to leave!
[/quote]

:clap:

I am a Christian because Jesus loved me first.

I a Roman Catholic, because my parents choose that for me at a early age. There were some tough times where I need God in my life. Without Him, my life will be different.