An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are You A Christian?

Hussain

Hey, so I'm new here. I want to get to know how Christians feel about their faith. So please provide one or two sentences outlining why you are a Christian.

Thanks

I believe my Catholic faith to be the perfect expression of Truth. :)

I know you disagree with me, but for the purposes of this post it's irrelevant.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1260469369' post='2017608']

I know you disagree with me, but for the purposes of this post it's irrelevant.
[/quote]
This. And the Eucharist.

I converted to Catholicism by the grace of God, who inspired me to read Sacred Scripture, the decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, and the writings of the Church Fathers, and who then helped me to seek out His Church so that I could offer true worship (ορθο δόξα) to the Father, through the Son, in the energy of the Holy Spirit.

rhetoricfemme

I'm Christian because I believe in God, who sent his Son Jesus Christ to be our Savior.

I'm Catholic (still converting, actually, but still!) because God told me to. He's shown my several times that this is His True Church and the fact that I know this makes it impossible for me to turn my back on it, even if I wanted to. Which I don't. :)

Edited by rhetoricfemme

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1260469369' post='2017608']
[/quote]

and..I am a Christian because Jesus Christ came to me personally and told me that he forgives me for all my sins and said I need to forgive myself. He also told me that the Father sent Him here to die for our sins and show us the way to Heaven. I never knew anything about Jesus really until that beautiful day when he came to me, a sinner and revealed Himself. I used to believe only in the Father/Creator but now I am a firm beleiver in the fact that the Trinity dwells within me. I now experience the Trinity daily, especially through the Sacraments of the Church.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 01:27 PM' timestamp='1260469626' post='2017613']
I converted to Catholicism by the grace of God, who inspired me to read Sacred Scripture, the decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, and the writings of the Church Fathers, and who then helped me to seek out His Church so that I could offer true worship (ορθο δόξα) to the Father, through the Son, in the energy of the Holy Spirit.
[/quote]

What did you convert from?

[quote name='Hussain' date='10 December 2009 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1260469287' post='2017604']
Hey, so I'm new here. I want to get to know how Christians feel about their faith. So please provide one or two sentences outlining why you are a Christian.

Thanks
[/quote]
Because Jesus Christ is God made Man, Our Lord and Savior, who suffered and died for our sins, and gloriously rose from the dead, as testified by witnesses (many of whom gave their lives rather than deny this truth) as recorded in the Gospels, and handed down consistently for two millenia by the successors of Christ's disciples.

Why should we be otherwise?

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Socrates' date='10 December 2009 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1260471143' post='2017634']
Because Jesus Christ is God made Man, Our Lord and Savior, who suffered and died for our sins, and gloriously rose from the dead, as testified by witnesses (many of whom gave their lives rather than deny this truth) as recorded in the Gospels, and handed down consistently for two millenia by the successors of Christ's disciples.

Why should we be otherwise?
[/quote]

This too along with my other post is reason why I am a Christian.

[quote name='Hussain' date='10 December 2009 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1260469523' post='2017611']
Of course you believe it's the truth, otherwise you wouldn't be Christian. The question is why do you believe in it? :)
[/quote]
Wrong way around. :D I believe it because it's True. ;)

I use to struggle with believing Jesus to be the literal son of God, but whenever I read the scripture that says the only way to the Father, is thru the son, I was reassured that Jesus is the son of God.

[quote]For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that overcomes the world, our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

--1John 5:4-5[/quote]