An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Can Disagree And Still Be Respectful

Nihil Obstat

A hypocrite is a person who pretends to possess virtues that he actually does not practice.

Simply saying, "I am not a hypocrite," does not make a person a hypocrite.

Edited by Apotheoun

HisChildForever

[quote name='Varg' date='10 December 2009 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1260484553' post='2017907']
How long?
[/quote]

7 days. How long were you gone for?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1260484839' post='2017911']
Yes, please Lilllabettt prove it.

Really? Sure looked like you did just that, and also called me proud, and a hypocrite.
[/quote]

Okay, I should have said "make yourself LOOK like a Pharisee." It depends if you read the story of the Pharisee and think "thank God I'm not like the Pharisee" (which given the story is actually quite hilarious, that anyone would do that, wouldnt you say?) in your heart.

Because what it LOOKS like here on PM is the story of the Pharisee was posted, describing a typical fault of Christians everywhere, (rash judgment of people/self-rigtheousnes, etc.,) and your reply was "I'm not a Pharisee."

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1260484939' post='2017912']
A hypocrite is a person who pretends to possess virtues that he actually does not practice.

Simply saying, "I am not a hypocrite, does not make a person a hypocrite."
[/quote]

Especially when that same person compares himself to St Paul and his statement that he was chief of sinners. Now if I completely denied being a sinner I could see how I would be a Pharisee and hypocrite, but I did not deny being a sinner.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1260485129' post='2017918']
Okay, I should have said "make yourself LOOK like a Pharisee." It depends if you read the story of the Pharisee and think "thank God I'm not like the Pharisee" (which given the story is actually quite hilarious, that anyone would do that, wouldnt you say?) in your heart.

Because what it LOOKS like here on PM is the story of the Pharisee was posted, describing a typical fault of Christians everywhere, (rash judgment of people/self-rigtheousnes, etc.,) and your reply was "I'm not a Pharisee."
[/quote]
Wow, that is a nice clarification, because one should never judge merely by appearances. Too bad it is not an apology to KofC, but that would require something more from you.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1260485158' post='2017919']
Especially when that same person compares himself to St Paul and his statement that he was chief of sinners. Now if I completely denied being a sinner I could see how I would be a Pharisee and hypocrite, but I did not deny being a sinner.
[/quote]

So do you deny being a hypocrite? Cuz I doubt St. Paul would deny being a hypocrite. What with the "I want to do one thing and I do another" stuff he talked about ...

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1260485189' post='2017920']
[/quote]
Yes, plus the distinction between venial and mortal sin should be borne in mind by a Catholic. A man who is in a state of grace is not a sinner (in the mortal sense), although he may have committed many venial sins. Luther had a problem with this Catholic doctrine.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1260485291' post='2017925']
I am a hypocrite, btw
[/quote]
That would only follow if you pretend to practice virtue, while actually doing the opposite. Don't confuse the fact that you - like me, and everyone other person - commit venial sins (and on occasion mortal ones).

KnightofChrist

[quote]Okay, I should have said "make yourself LOOK like a Pharisee." It depends if you read the story of the Pharisee and think "thank God I'm not like the Pharisee" (which given the story is actually quite hilarious, that anyone would do that, wouldnt you say?) in your heart.

Because what it LOOKS like here on PM is the story of the Pharisee was posted, describing a typical fault of Christians everywhere, (rash judgment of people/self-rigtheousnes, etc.,) and your reply was "I'm not a Pharisee."[/quote]

The Pharisee did not see and denied his own sin,[b] I did not, I do not.[/b] I clearly stated I was a sinner, and a chief of sinners as matter of fact. The Pharisee did not do that or even come close. Again my full quote was thus "I am not a Pharisee. I repeat the words of Saint Paul "A faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into this world to save [b]sinners, of whom I am the chief.[/b]"

ok, lets drop it, huh. Clearly I misunderstood. I think its likely you are not an actual Pharisee, okay. But I thought you should know what that comment looks like. (to me. maybe I'm wearing wierd goggles or sumtin.)

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1260485724' post='2017932']
ok, lets drop it, huh. Clearly I misunderstood. I think its likely you are not an actual Pharisee, okay. But I thought you should know what that comment looks like. (to me. maybe I'm wearing wierd goggles or sumtin.)
[/quote]

Okey doke, but you are seeing things. Even so God Bless you sister!

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1260485789' post='2017933']
Okey doke, but you are seeing things. Even so God Bless you sister!
[/quote]
:blowkiss: