An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Can Disagree And Still Be Respectful

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1260483903' post='2017880']
You know, by saying that you're not a Pharisee, you make yourself a Pharisee?[/quote]
That does not follow. I am not a Jew, but saying that does not make me a Jew.

[quote name='Varg' date='10 December 2009 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1260484016' post='2017885']
Wrong. Some people would find that very disrespectful.[/quote]
That is sad for them, but it is a sin to lie and so I cannot do that.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

I wasnt calling anyone a pharisee I just felt that scripture could help kill all the judgments being thrown around. I for one am a total Pharisee, but I trust that God will forgive me and help me to be less self centered and more Christo-centric.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1260484077' post='2017886']
[/quote]

In this context "Pharisee" refers to a moral condition, not an identity.
It is equivalent with the word "hypocrite."

Saying: "I am not a hypocrite" makes the person who says that a hypocrite.
We are all hypocrites. Unless we are the Immaculate Conception. We all profess one thing and do another.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1260483903' post='2017880']
You know, by saying that you're not a Pharisee, you make yourself a Pharisee?

In other words, you're saying 'i'm not a hypocrite" ... which means you are one.

It's like the whole humility/pride thing. The second you think you're humble, you're proud.
[/quote]

I like Saint Paul, am a chief of sinners. What is humble about that? What is to be proud about that?
I don't even think you read my post before you jumped on the opportunity to call me a [u]proud hypocrite[/u].

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1260484136' post='2017888']
That is sad for them, but it is a sin to lie and so I cannot do that.
[/quote]
Then tell the truth, renounce Christianity.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1260484222' post='2017894']
In this context "Pharisee" refers to a moral condition, not an identity.
It is equivalent with the word "hypocrite."

Saying: "I am not a hypocrite" makes the person who says that a hypocrite.
We are all hypocrites. Unless we are the Immaculate Conception. We all profess one thing and do another.
[/quote]
It does not follow. Prove it.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1260484228' post='2017895']
I like Saint Paul, am a chief of sinners. What is humble about that? What is to be proud about that?
I don't even think you read my post before you jumped on the opportunity to call me a [u]proud hypocrite[/u].
[/quote]

Saint Paul would not read the passage about the Pharisee and say "I'm not like that."
Saint Paul would say, "alas, I am like that, the chief of sinners."

HisChildForever

[quote name='Varg' date='10 December 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1260484016' post='2017885']
Which is why I was banned for saying something now worse than what was being said about Islam, right?
[/quote]

There there. I was banned for my reply to you. :coffee:

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1260484077' post='2017886']
[/quote]

weak analogy

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1260484305' post='2017898']
Saint Paul would not read the passage about the Pharisee and say "I'm not like that."
Saint Paul would say, "alas, I am like that, the chief of sinners."
[/quote]
If you are correct, than anyone who says "There but by the grace of God go I." Would be a hypocrite.

Prove that KofC is a hypocrite.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1260483966' post='2017882']
For that to be true I would have to forget the many Imams and Clerics who called and call for the death of the United States.
[/quote]
Not exactly the same.
I don't think anyone on the forum realizes all these "death calls" are reactionary.
Had the US not directly and indirectly killed literally millions of Muslims, then things would be different.

But one track mind works well.
Muslims are bad, GRRR!

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1260484015' post='2017884']
Any Catholic who speaks such hate is not reflecting the teachings of Jesus Christ and is therefore not an accurate representation of Catholicism.
[/quote]

Replace Catholic with Muslim and Jesus (as) (or even the original gospel of Jesus0 with Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and Catholicism with Islam.

Now you've just answered most of your own arguments against Islam, yay!

P.S. I'm not calling you a Pharisee. But I thought I should point out to you that it is highly ironic for someone to read the Pharisee passage and then sort of say "well, of course, I'm not a Pharisee." Because thats kind of what the Pharisee does to the tax collector in the story.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1260484407' post='2017899']
There there. I was banned for my reply to you. :coffee:
[/quote]
How long?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1260484436' post='2017901']
If you are correct, than anyone who says "There but by the grace of God go I." Would be a hypocrite.

Prove that KofC is a hypocrite.
[/quote]

Yes, please Lilllabettt prove it.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1260484478' post='2017904']
P.S. I'm not calling you a Pharisee. But I thought I should point out to you that it is highly ironic for someone to read the Pharisee passage and then sort of say "well, of course, I'm not a Pharisee." Because thats kind of what the Pharisee does to the tax collector in the story.
[/quote]

Really? Sure looked like you did just that, and also called me proud, and a hypocrite.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1260483903' post='2017880']
[b]You know, by saying that you're not a Pharisee, you make yourself a Pharisee?[/b]

In other words, you're saying 'i'm not a hypocrite" ... which means you are one.

It's like the whole humility/pride thing. The second you think you're humble, you're proud.
[/quote]