An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Can Disagree And Still Be Respectful

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1260482967' post='2017855']

Over all far too many today want a Christ without a Cross. Happy Jesus is just easier to handle.
[/quote]

It's the two extremes - Christianity without the Cross, and Christianity without the Resurrection, that we need to avoid. We are all tempted to go too far in the former direction or the latter.

HisChildForever

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 05:08 PM' timestamp='1260482892' post='2017853']
You must have not read much on this as it's been refuted several times over.
Even wikipedia has something somewhat truthful on it regarding this (if you know Islam and read the entries, you'll understand my surprise)
Annette Krüger Spitta of the ARD's (German public broadcasting) TV magazine Panorama states that footage not aired shows that the street surrounding the celebration in Jerusalem is quiet. Furthermore, she states that a man in a white T-shirt incited the children and gathered people together for the shot. The Panorama report, dated September 20, 2001, quotes Communications Professor Martin Löffelholz explaining that in the images one sees jubilant Palestinian children and several adults but there is no indication that their pleasure is related to the attack. The woman seen cheering (Nawal Abdel Fatah) stated afterwards that she was offered cake if she celebrated on camera, and was frightened when she saw the pictures on television afterward.[24]
[/quote]

I don't pay much attention to Wikipedia.

[quote] And the highest leaders of your Church have said exactly those same words and then some and then ACTED UPON IT, so let's chill on taking the moral high ground :P

As for for some of the posts, I don't like them and they are lacking hikmah.
[/quote]

Catholic leaders celebrated 911?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1260482639' post='2017851']
You know, I'm still unclear as to why some Catholics are defending the Muslims. I mean, they DID refer to us as "infidels," right? And they DID say Islam will "dominate" the world, right? Can you please explain this to me?
[/quote]

It's a pinch of Modernism. The debate board would have exploded had a Catholic called for world domination, forcing non-Catholics to become Catholic.

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='10 December 2009 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1260482957' post='2017854']
Its called Mercy.
[/quote]

Mercy? Not rebuking and defending those that support the world domination of Islam is called mercy? Not in reality.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1260483113' post='2017860']

[/quote]

I think he means the Popes wanted to dominate the world politically and organized armies to do so. That is way too simplistic an understanding of the crusades of course.

Edited by Maggie

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 December 2009 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1260483033' post='2017857']
Is it Muslims being attacked/defended here, or Islam. You keep going back and forth.
[/quote]

She is speaking of the individual Muslims who have come here and stated 'offensive' things. The context is really not that hard to understand.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1260482639' post='2017851']
You know, I'm still unclear as to why some Catholics are defending the Muslims. I mean, they DID refer to us as "infidels," right? And they DID say Islam will "dominate" the world, right? Can you please explain this to me?
[/quote]
I don't really mind people defending Muslims, but I have been stunned to see Catholics defending Islam, which is a religious ideology that explicitly rejects the dogmas of the Trinity and the Incarnation. Thinking that Jesus was a just a good fellow will not bring salvation to anyone.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

I think this scripture may be of some help to all of us if we pray it with our hearts.

John.18:9-14

[color="#4B0082"]And to some who trusted in themselves as just, and despised others, he spoke also this parable: Two men went up into the temple to pray: the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
The Pharisee standing, prayed thus with himself: O God, I give thee thanks that I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, as also is this publican. I fast twice in a week: I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes towards heaven; but struck his breast, saying: O God, be merciful to me a sinner. I say to you, this man went down into his house justified rather than the other: because every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled: and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted.[/color]

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='10 December 2009 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1260483453' post='2017874']
I think this scripture may be of some help to all of us if we pray it with our hearts.

John.18:9-14

[color="#4B0082"]And to some who trusted in themselves as just, and despised others, he spoke also this parable: Two men went up into the temple to pray: the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
The Pharisee standing, prayed thus with himself: O God, I give thee thanks that I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, as also is this publican. I fast twice in a week: I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes towards heaven; but struck his breast, saying: O God, be merciful to me a sinner. I say to you, this man went down into his house justified rather than the other: because every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled: and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted.[/color]
[/quote]

I love that reading :) But I hate it because it's about me, Maggie the Pharisee :(

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1260483113' post='2017860']
I don't pay much attention to Wikipedia.

[/quote]
Sorry, no Muslim leaders praised 9/11.
But many Catholic Popes and leaders of past praised killing of Muslims. But we can talk about today too?
How about Catholics praising the murder and destruction of Muslims in Iraq, Afghanistan, pakistan, Somalia and Palestine?
Err wait, innocent children are terrorists, I forgot :ohno:

We can play the copy/paste game where you post all these verified articles about praising 9/11 and then I counter with all the articles nullifying those articles of praise.
It's a really fun game, something very popular on forums!

Or we can save time and you do the research and realize you are wrong wrong wrong :)

KnightofChrist

I am not a Pharisee. I repeat the words of Saint Paul "A faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into this world to save sinners, of whom I am the chief."

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1260483424' post='2017872']
I don't really mind people defending Muslims, but I have been stunned to see Catholics defending Islam, which is a religious ideology that explicitly rejects the dogmas of the Trinity and the Incarnation. Thinking that Jesus was a just a good fellow will not bring salvation to anyone.
[/quote]

I meant the fact that people are either ignoring or defending their behavior while simultaneously attacking ours.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1260483653' post='2017878']
I am not a Pharisee. I repeat the words of Saint Paul "A faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into this world to save sinners, of whom I am the chief."
[/quote]

You know, by saying that you're not a Pharisee, you make yourself a Pharisee?

In other words, you're saying 'i'm not a hypocrite" ... which means you are one.

It's like the whole humility/pride thing. The second you think you're humble, you're proud.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1260483628' post='2017877']
[/quote]

For that to be true I would have to forget the many Imams and Clerics who called and call for the death of the United States.

HisChildForever

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1260483628' post='2017877']
But many Catholic Popes and leaders of past praised killing of Muslims. But we can talk about today too?
How about Catholics praising the murder and destruction of Muslims in Iraq, Afghanistan, pakistan, Somalia and Palestine?
Err wait, innocent children are terrorists, I forgot :ohno:

We can play the copy/paste game where you post all these verified articles about praising 9/11 and then I counter with all the articles nullifying those articles of praise.
It's a really fun game, something very popular on forums!

Or we can save time and you do the research and realize you are wrong wrong wrong :)
[/quote]

Any Catholic who speaks such hate is not reflecting the teachings of Jesus Christ and is therefore not an accurate representation of Catholicism.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1260469325' post='2017606']
It is not disrespectful to say that Mohammad is not a true prophet; instead, it is simply a theological truth.
[/quote]
Wrong. Some people would find that very disrespectful.

[quote]Too many people seem to be thin skinned.[/quote]
Which is why I was banned for saying something now worse than what was being said about Islam, right?