An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Can Disagree And Still Be Respectful

Nihil Obstat

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1260479692' post='2017789']
My very first post indicated that I think there have been failings on the part of both Christians and Muslims over the last two days or so.
[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1260479769' post='2017791']
That's your right. I was just telling you my preference. Anyone is free to ignore it at their whim.
[/quote]

But I'm not ignoring it, what I stated is directly in relation to the topic, by your definition of your first post. The only Christians that have been speaking out against Islam these last two days has been Apo, HCF, Soc, DominicanSoul and myself.

I stand by the adage that flies go to honey before vinegar, but that's just me.

If you told my best friend that his denomination was a vile perversion of Truth or similarly, that he was a heretic, he'd close his heart to you immediately. I'm out to speak Truth and do so unequivocally, but I also do so in a way that will avoid pushing them away from the Gospel. :shrug:

Edited by MissyP89

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1260480210' post='2017800']
But I'm not ignoring it, what I stated is directly in relation to the topic, by your definition of your first post. The only Christians that have been speaking out against Islam these last two days has been Apo, HCF, Soc, DominicanSoul and myself.
[/quote]
If you believe you've said absolutely nothing that could have been said better, or in a more Christian manner, then so be it. I won't say a word against you.

I'll say to you the same thing I said to Apotheoun; I have great respect for you, but I don't respect you so much that I think you're perfect.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='MissyP89' date='10 December 2009 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1260480323' post='2017802']
I stand by the adage that flies go to honey before vinegar, but that's just me.

If you told my best friend that his denomination was a vile perversion of Truth or similarly, that he was a heretic, he'd close his heart to you immediately. I'm out to speak Truth and do so unequivocally, but I also do so in a way that will avoid pushing them away from the Gospel. :shrug:
[/quote]

That has merit, but sooner or later the hard facts of life must be presented. Christ lost many a follower because He refused to use sugar to sweeten the deal. He simply laid out the truth directly and with conviction.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1260480448' post='2017803']
If you believe you've said absolutely nothing that could have been said better, or in a more Christian manner, then so be it. I won't say a word against you.

I'll say to you the same thing I said to Apotheoun; I have great respect for you, but I don't respect you so much that I think you're perfect.
[/quote]

I am human I am not prefect, and I did not say I was prefect. I am simply tired of being talked down to because I try my best to speak truth directly without watering it down. And that seems to be the underlining issue with those that cry rivers about what the others and I have stated these last two days.

What I have stated has been to the best of my ability in a Christian manner.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1260481050' post='2017809']
I am human I am not prefect, and I did not say I was prefect. I am simply tired of being talked down to because I try my best to speak truth directly without watering it down. And that seems to be the underlining issue with those that cry rivers about what the others and I have stated these last two days.

What I have stated has been to the best of my ability in a Christian manner.
[/quote]
I didn't mean to imply that you think you're perfect.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1260481092' post='2017810']
I didn't mean to imply that you think you're perfect.
[/quote]

It's ok, don't worry about it. :topsy:

My perspective:

"Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. Only if unavoidably necessary, point out that the other is a heretic."

HisChildForever

[quote name='MissyP89' date='10 December 2009 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1260479464' post='2017785']
Speak softly and carry a big stick.
[/quote]

Can I use the stick for beatings? :evil:

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1260481453' post='2017817']
[/quote]
That depends on how strong Rexi is coming on to you.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1260481522' post='2017818']
[/quote]

ROFL.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1260481522' post='2017818']
[/quote]

Poor rexi.

HisChildForever

[quote name='mommas_boy' date='10 December 2009 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1260481705' post='2017822']
Poor rexi.
[/quote]

:saint:

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1260481453' post='2017817']
[/quote]

:hijack:

Swing swing swing from the tabletop....

:::RUNNING AWAY NOW, KTHBAI:::

Edited by MissyP89

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='10 December 2009 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1260480567' post='2017805']
That has merit, but sooner or later the hard facts of life must be presented. Christ lost many a follower because He refused to use sugar to sweeten the deal. He simply laid out the truth directly and with conviction.
[/quote]

The problem I think is that your approach (and the approach of the others) seems to lack the sweetness of the Gospel. No one has ever been converted by "the hard facts of life." There are Protestants who make this mistake and come around to my alma mater every year to explain to the students that they are damned to burn for eternity unless they pray the Salvation Prayer. Needless to say they meet little success and much ridicule, which of course they attribute to being "persecuted for the sake of the Name," when really the derision has nothing to do with Jesus and everything to do with their presentation of His message. People are converted by the joy that is promised to them, the promise of new life in Christ, and then they accept the hard words as part of the path they must take. Your posts to our Muslim visitors are motivated by love for them, I have no doubt, but you make the love easy to miss... and that is the problem...