An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Can Disagree And Still Be Respectful

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1260473368' post='2017685']
I have no problem with a person saying that Christians have failed to live as they should, that they have committed crimes, or that they have been unfaithful to Christ, because I know that there are examples of that kind of behavior among Christians throughout history. But St. John Damascene was not speaking about individual persons; rather, he was talking about Islam as a theological system. Christianity is the truth, while as St. John Damascene said, Islam is a "vile superstition."
[/quote]
That wasn't what I meant. :P Do you agree with my OP and post #7?

homeschoolmom

Here's where it gets tricky:

[quote][b]Negative Criticism of Other Religions[/b]
A post or comment that negatively criticizes (as opposed to constructively criticizes) a different religion in a way that is harmful to open ecumenical dialogue.[/quote]

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='10 December 2009 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1260473709' post='2017703']
Here's where it gets tricky:
[/quote]
Ecumenical dialogue really only concerns the restoration of union among the baptized.

Be that as it may, are Catholics required to lie in order to post at Phatmass. Must they say things that are theologically equivocal, or are they allowed to speak the truth clearly in charity, recognizing that there is nothing uncharitable in saying that Islam is a false religion.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1260473863' post='2017705']
Ecumenical dialogue really only concerns the restoration of union among the baptized.

Be that as it may, are Catholics required to lie in order to post at Phatmass. Must they say things that are theologically equivocal, or are they allowed to speak the truth clearly in charity, recognizing that there is nothing uncharitable in saying that Islam is a false religion.
[/quote]

How do you explain the billions of people following a "false religion?" Brainwashed? Oh really? For 1400 years these Muslims have been brainwashed? I never thought that was possible.

[quote name='bhrhrahraa' date='10 December 2009 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1260473953' post='2017707']
How do you explain the billions of people following a "false religion?" Brainwashed? Oh really? For 1400 years these Muslims have been brainwashed? I never thought that was possible.
[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1260469135' post='2017600']
I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

[size="5"][u]All [/u][/size]of us can do better than this.
[/quote]

Notice the extra emphasis. :)

[quote name='bhrhrahraa' date='10 December 2009 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1260473953' post='2017707']
[/quote]
But billions of catholics have been brainwashed for 2000 years. Yeah, I pick up what you're laying down.

[quote name='bhrhrahraa' date='10 December 2009 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1260473953' post='2017707']
[/quote]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum"]Argumentum ad populum[/url] fallacy - just because many believe something does not make it true, be it Catholicism, Islam, or Santa Claus.

There are theological differences and then there are bigoted remarks full of hate, spite and lies that no sane bishop, at least in America, would stand for.
I completely understand that some members cannot control their tongues, but it the job of the forum to moderate these members and edit/delete bigoted posts.

If you do not, then well phatmass is nothing but a propagator of such bigotry and we have no reason to associate.

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1260474540' post='2017733']
There are theological differences and then there are bigoted remarks full of hate, spite and lies that no sane bishop, at least in America, would stand for.
I completely understand that some members cannot control their tongues, but it the job of the forum to moderate these members and edit/delete bigoted posts.

If you do not, then well phatmass is nothing but a propagator of such bigotry and we have no reason to associate.
[/quote]
Wouldn't you prefer to address what you see as bigotry yourself, and let the truth stand on its own power?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1260474612' post='2017734']
Wouldn't you prefer to address what you see as bigotry yourself, and let the truth stand on its own power?
[/quote]

Yes, let's have threads/posts discussing how asians have small eyes or a debate on whether blacks are humans or not?

Let the truth stand on its on power!
*sarcasm*

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='10 December 2009 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1260474655' post='2017735']
I'm sure you know where the report button is since your phorum is laid out the exact same way...
[/quote]
This is not my forum. With all respect, I have seen you post on threads where it should be obvious moderation is needed and yet you did nothing.

I wish I was being over-sensitive and our differences were solely based on rejection of each others religion, but it is not the case.

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1260475039' post='2017737']
Yes, let's have threads/posts discussing how asians have small eyes or a debate on whether blacks are humans or not?

Let the truth stand on its on power!
*sarcasm*

[/quote]
If someone posted saying that black people are sub-human, I'd be more than happy to tell them exactly why they're an idiot. That position hasn't got a leg to stand on. The truth is so obvious that any thinking person can see it, based on both viewpoints being presented.

Personally, I'm a big fan of free speech. I'd prefer things to be solved by people having respectful, public debates rather than some authority telling us what we can and cannot say.

That being said, if you really find a post offensive, by all means report it. You're a member on Phatmass and you enjoy the same rights as any other member. Our mods are really awesome, but they're not omniscient, and they sometimes don't see offensive posts because of the sheer volume of posts in a single day.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1260475039' post='2017737']This is not my forum. With all respect, I have seen you post on threads where it should be obvious moderation is needed and yet you did nothing.

I wish I was being over-sensitive and our differences were solely based on rejection of each others religion, but it is not the case.
[/quote]

I'm sorry you don't like the way we do things here. Our webmaster, dUSt, has given the moderators instruction to be as "hands off" as possible. Our edits are few and far between.