An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Can Disagree And Still Be Respectful

Nihil Obstat

It is not disrespectful to say that Mohammad is not a true prophet; instead, it is simply a theological truth.

That said, I was not offended when Bhrhrahraa said: "The trinity in itself is a blasphemy."

Too many people seem to be thin skinned.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1260469325' post='2017606']
It is not disrespectful to say that Mohammad is not a true prophet; instead, it is simply a theological truth.

That said, I was not offended when Bhrhrahraa said: "The trinity in itself is a blasphemy."

[/quote]
Yes, I agree with you, however I'm [u]not[/u] referring to one person saying "the trinity is blasphemy, and another saying "Mohammad is not a prophet."

These are the disagreements that can be discussed respectfully.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1260469135' post='2017600']
I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

[u]All [/u]of us can do better than this.
[/quote]

AMEN!!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1260469455' post='2017609']
Yes, I agree with you, however I'm [u]not[/u] referring to one person saying "the trinity is blasphemy, and another saying "Mohammad is not a prophet."

These are the disagreements that can be discussed respectfully.
[/quote]
Personal attacks are verboten. But there is nothing wrong with speaking the truth unequivocally in connection with theological matters.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1260471014' post='2017632']
Personal attacks are verboten. But there is nothing wrong with speaking the truth unequivocally in connection with theological matters.
[/quote]
I hope that in my time here on Phatmass I've demonstrated the great respect I have for you, your opinions, and your education.
I don't think you're perfect though. I don't respect you that much. ;)

Jesus spoke in a lot of different ways. Everything that He said is True, with no exceptions. Everything that He inspired is equally true. He taught in a lot of different ways though. Sometimes He used direct discourse, sometimes He spoke in parables, sometimes He condemned, and I'd be willing to bet that sometimes He cracked jokes and sang songs too, because "there are also many other things that Jesus did; if every one of them were written down, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." All of these that He said were equally true, regardless of how He said it.

I'm not here to call out anything or anybody specific. I just want to suggest that maybe you could tell a parable now and again. Know what I mean? :)

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1260471497' post='2017640']
I hope that in my time here on Phatmass I've demonstrated the great respect I have for you, your opinions, and your education.

Jesus spoke in a lot of different ways. Everything that He said is True, with no exceptions. Everything that He inspired is equally true. He taught in a lot of different ways though. Sometimes He used direct discourse, sometimes He spoke in parables, sometimes He condemned, and I'd be willing to bet that sometimes He cracked jokes and sang songs too, because "there are also many other things that Jesus did; if every one of them were written down, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." All of these that He said were equally true, regardless of how He said it.

I'm not here to call out anything or anybody specific. I just want to suggest that maybe you could tell a parable now and again. Know what I mean? :)
[/quote]

man...Im out of plus 1's Or else you deff would have got one. Quite possibly the best post in days.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1260471497' post='2017640']

[/quote]
Yeah, I get your point.

Of course Jesus called the Pharisees "whited sepulchers" which was true, but rather brutal; and St. John Damascene called Islam a "vile superstition" which is true, but rather brutal. Yet I see nothing wrong with what Jesus said or what St. John Damascene said. Neither of the comments are personal attacks. They are just truthful statements.

:)

Edited by Apotheoun

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1260469135' post='2017600']
I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

[u]All [/u]of us can do better than this.
[/quote]

Copycat!

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1260471964' post='2017656']
Yeah, I get your point.

Of course Jesus called the Pharisees "whited sepulchers" which was true, but rather brutal; and St. John Damascene called Islam a "vile superstition" which is true, but rather brutal. Yet I see nothing wrong with what Jesus said or what St. John Damascene said. Neither of the comments are personal attacks. They are just truthful statements.

:)
[/quote]
Of course.

On the other hand, Jesus could quite rightly have called nearly anyone "whited sepulchers", and St. John Damascene could probably have condemned a great many Christians for vile superstition too.

It's just that there is more than one way to speak Truth, and that does not necessarily mean being forced to water down the message or equivocate in any way.

[quote name='txdinghysailor' date='10 December 2009 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1260471975' post='2017657']
Copycat!
[/quote]

Copycat!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1260472158' post='2017661']
Of course.

On the other hand, Jesus could quite rightly have called nearly anyone "whited sepulchers" . . . [/quote]
Jesus said that the members of His Church were to teach in His name, and He empowered us to do so. :),

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1260472158' post='2017661']
. . . and St. John Damascene could probably have condemned a great many Christians for vile superstition too.[/quote]
I suppose he could have done that, but he could not have called Christianity a "vile superstition," which is what he did when he was talking about Islam.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1260472976' post='2017676']
Jesus said that the members of His Church were to teach in His name, and He empowered us to do so. :),

I suppose he could have done that, but he could not have called Christianity a "vile superstition," which is what he did when he was talking about Islam.
[/quote]
Yep, both correct. I suppose my analogy in the second case was a poor one.

Anyway, I know that you understand my point. Do you agree?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 December 2009 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1260473196' post='2017683']
Yep, both correct. I suppose my analogy in the second case was a poor one.

Anyway, I know that you understand my point. Do you agree?
[/quote]
I have no problem with a person saying that Christians have failed to live as they should, that they have committed crimes, or that they have been unfaithful to Christ, because I know that there are examples of that kind of behavior among Christians throughout history. But St. John Damascene was not speaking about individual persons; rather, he was talking about Islam as a theological system. Christianity is the truth, while as St. John Damascene said, Islam is a "vile superstition."

Edited by Apotheoun