An Old School Catholic Message Board

General Discussion Of Islamic World

Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

I would like to start by asking, what do you think of the war in Afghanistan? And I mean to include everything related to this. The Taliban, the so-called "alliance" with Pakistan, U.S. foreign policy, etc. Thanks!

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='rayz' date='10 December 2009 - 07:40 AM' timestamp='1260448811' post='2017396']
I'd be glad to answer about Islam. But what does afghan war have to do with religion? This is all about power and money. (ok, I am being overly simplistic. But seriously, this mess has to do more about economics and politics than religion. Religion as usual becomes a scape goat)
Have you read "Confessions of an economic hit man"? I like a good conspiracy now and then. (very relavent to Afghanistan/Iraq and all the mess we see nowadays)
[/quote]
I'll make a more specific question. As a Muslim what do you think about the Taliban? I have seen interviews where members of Taliban state very clearly what they believe is true Islam. One of the reasons that the Afghan war has to do with religion is that Taliban fighters believe they are doing their religious duty and suicide bombing is martyrdom. I watched things such as "Children of the Taliban" recently which is why I'm curious.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1134781691/

http://video.pbs.org/video/1295117818/

No, I have not read that book but I have heard that guy talk. There are things on youtube such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTbdnNgqfs8

Cheers.

P.S. Thanks for posting!

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='10 December 2009 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1260450374' post='2017404']
I'll make a more specific question. As a Muslim what do you think about the Taliban? I have seen interviews where members of Taliban state very clearly what they believe is true Islam. One of the reasons that the Afghan war has to do with religion is that Taliban fighters believe they are doing their religious duty and suicide bombing is martyrdom.
[/quote]
Very complicated question to answer. Basically, if what they say is true in CNN/FOX, then as a muslim I'd condemn the taliban and I'm sure overwhelming majority would do the same. On the other hand what they say in pakistani news and other "alternative" sources is true then I'd see the taliban as freedom fighters. Frankly I don't know what to believe. Personally I think the truth lies some where in between. Media's representation of truth, particularly representing Muslims and Islam is a whole another topic. I will try to comment on this later.

Ofcourse the taliban will definitely say they believe in true islam, but that's not holding under its own weight, is it?

Since most people in afghanistan are muslims, the leaders (for which ever cause) will use Islam as the gathering force. In muslim countries fight against poverty/malaria/voilence against women are all envoked under Islamic teachings - as religious duty. Same thing when leaders want people to fight for them (I'm not saying cause of fight is right). That doesn't make the fight any more Islamic than fight against malaria is. Get my point? In certain countries soldiers carry out suicide missions in the name of freedom or what ever the leading ideology happens to be. Taliban would use the ideology which is prevalent in thier area.

The real question is why the taliban have to fight in the first place. The reason I believe is economical and political. They mobilize fighters using religion, but the reasons for fighting is not exactly religious - in my opinion.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='10 December 2009 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1260450374' post='2017404']
I watched things such as "Children of the Taliban" recently which is why I'm curious.

[url="http://video.pbs.org/video/1134781691/"]http://video.pbs.org/video/1134781691/[/url]

[url="http://video.pbs.org/video/1295117818/"]http://video.pbs.org/video/1295117818/[/url]

[/quote]

I will have to watch the videos and see. I won't be posting fast, but I will post if I can help it. Thank you for keeping open.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 09:13 AM' timestamp='1260450836' post='2017405']
[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xrpjR0_0o"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a4xrpjR0_0o[/url][/media]
[/quote]

What's wrong with that? Didn't countless saints, including Benedict, destroy instruments of demon-worship?

~Sternhauser

Violence is only acceptable to stop other people from actually and physically harming non-aggressors. This is applicable to every individual in the human race.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='11 December 2009 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1260450836' post='2017405']
[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xrpjR0_0o"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a4xrpjR0_0o[/url][/media]
[/quote]

The Un was going to spend a few million on renovating them while there was a massive drought. When the Un refused to have the funds diverted to feed people, the talibs decided to make a point.

[quote]
I'll make a more specific question. As a Muslim what do you think aboutthe Taliban? I have seen interviews where members of Taliban state veryclearly what they believe is true Islam. One of the reasons that theAfghan war has to do with religion is that Taliban fighters believethey are doing their religious duty and suicide bombing is martyrdom. Iwatched things such as "Children of the Taliban" recently which is whyI'm curious.[/quote]
Talibs and me don't get along. But having said that they are a semi-indigenous organisation/movement. And its not surpring that they consider it their religious duty to defend their land, but yeah the suicide bombing thing is weird. Honestly I got no idea why it developed in the last few years, because it was not around in Afganistan before the US invasion.

[quote name='Pomak' date='10 December 2009 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1260463774' post='2017524']
The Un was going to spend a few million on renovating them while there was a massive drought. When the Un refused to have the funds diverted to feed people, the talibs decided to make a point. [/quote]
I see, so that justifies blowing up historical monuments. Why didn't the extremely wealthy Islamic nation - Saudi Arabia - come to the aid of the people suffering there. Saudi Arabia - and several other oil rich Islamic states - certainly could have come to the aid of those suffering during the drought.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 December 2009 - 09:11 AM' timestamp='1260461471' post='2017480']
What's wrong with that? Didn't countless saints, including Benedict, destroy instruments of demon-worship?

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
The Vatican appears to be more enlightened today than St. Benedict, because it is filled with an awful lot of pagan art treasures.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='11 December 2009 - 03:52 AM' timestamp='1260463959' post='2017526']
I see, so that justifies blowing up historical monuments. Why didn't the extremely wealthy Islamic nation - Saudi Arabia - come to the aid of the people suffering there. Saudi Arabia - and several other oil rich Islamic states - certainly could have come to the aid of those suffering during the drought.
[/quote]
Considering that the UN was going to spend millions restoring a bunch of carvings that no one worships while doing nothing for starving people. In affect saying that the lives of 20 or so million Afghans were worth less than some artwork in stone. Does it justify it, maybe, but to most people it explains it.

As for KSA, I don't know. I am not Saudi.

[quote name='Pomak' date='10 December 2009 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1260467657' post='2017581']
Considering that the UN was going to spend millions restoring a bunch of carvings that no one worships while doing nothing for starving people. In affect saying that the lives of 20 or so million Afghans were worth less than some artwork in stone. Does it justify it, maybe, but to most people it explains it.

As for KSA, I don't know. I am not Saudi.
[/quote]
This isn't a response to my post. Who ever said it was the duty only of the UN to alleviate suffering? Where were the charitable Muslim institutions? Where were the Muslim states? And why didn't they help the suffering Afghans?

I do not see how destroying ancient works of art helps anyone. Certainly the monies spent on the explosives could have been put to better use . . . perhaps some of those funds could have gone to helping those suffering due to the drought.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='11 December 2009 - 04:57 AM' timestamp='1260467879' post='2017584']
This isn't a response to my post. Who ever said it was the duty only of the UN to alleviate suffering? Where were the charitable Muslim institutions? Where were the Muslim states? And why didn't they help the suffering Afghans?

I do not see how destroying ancient works of art helps anyone. Certainly the monies spent on the explosives could have been put to better use . . . perhaps some of those funds could have gone to helping those suffering due to the drought.
[/quote]

1. It was a point being made about people bringing money into the country for the Restoration of the idols when people were starving.
2. At the time there was a war between the northern Alliance and the taliban. Explosives were not exactly rare then, or now.

[quote name='rayz' date='10 December 2009 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1260460724' post='2017466']
I will have to watch the videos and see. I won't be posting fast, but I will post if I can help it. Thank you for keeping open.
[/quote]

Ok, I sort of watched the videos. I can't add more to what I said about taliban though. Their portrait differs according to who's canvas you are looking at.

Poor Buddha.

If the Taliban dare lay a finger on any statues of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...Ooooh, there'll be trouble.

Edited by Varg

HisChildForever

[quote name='rayz' date='11 December 2009 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1260550871' post='2018434']
Ok, I sort of watched the videos. I can't add more to what I said about taliban though. Their portrait differs according to who's canvas you are looking at.
[/quote]

So you believe that in some situations, the the Taliban is JUSTIFIED? Disgusting.