An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Wrong To Argue For The Sake Of Argument?

txdinghysailor

txdinghysailor

It seems to me that many of the topics on this board are perpetuated by people who are very strong in their beliefs. They seem to be so rooted in what they believe in that nothing their opponents can say will change their minds. At this point I think that argument becomes bickering, which is wrong. What's the point of arguing if you're not open to the other person's arguments? Not that all topics on this board are like this, but i feel that many of them are. It just introduces a theme of bitterness and hatred among the board, when really the point of this forum is to promote sharing of thoughts and ideas, without any of the relativistic judgments that cloud clear reasoning.

So yeah guys maybe just take a chill pill and back off a little bit. Just because you believe in something doesn't mean you have to go bang people over the head with it to make yourself feel righteous. Lighten up, smell the roses, stop being bitter. I mean, why can't we all just get along?

[quote name='txdinghysailor' date='10 December 2009 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1260410484' post='2017125']
It seems to me that many of the topics on this board are perpetuated by people who are very strong in their beliefs. They seem to be so rooted in what they believe in that nothing their opponents can say will change their minds. At this point I think that argument becomes bickering, which is wrong. What's the point of arguing if you're not open to the other person's arguments? Not that all topics on this board are like this, but i feel that many of them are. It just introduces a theme of bitterness and hatred among the board, when really the point of this forum is to promote sharing of thoughts and ideas, without any of the relativistic judgments that cloud clear reasoning.

So yeah guys maybe just take a chill pill and back off a little bit. Just because you believe in something doesn't mean you have to go bang people over the head with it to make yourself feel righteous. Lighten up, smell the roses, stop being bitter. I mean, why can't we all just get along?
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 December 2009 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1260416007' post='2017213']
Arguing is, like, second nature to me.
[/quote]
NO IT'S NOT!!!11!1!!one!!!

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 December 2009 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1260416891' post='2017228']
NO IT'S NOT!!!11!1!!one!!!
[/quote]

Nihil, you have to calm down. Relax. Breathe.

HisChildForever

[quote name='CatherineM' date='09 December 2009 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1260419505' post='2017270']
I think I had a class in arguing for argument's sake in law school.
[/quote]

:drool: