An Old School Catholic Message Board

Honor Killings

KnightofChrist

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 December 2009 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1260418436' post='2017258']
I fail to see how that article has anything to do with Christianity. The article is about honor killings in "Palestinian society."

You yell at Knight for his sources, and yet you supply a source to a BLOG called "Islam and the West." Yeah okay, that's credible. @@
[/quote]

There are Christians in Palestines, also. Wow, some people are so incompetent.

It's the same how you take honor killings and apply it to a religion when it has no boundaries or is solely inclined to religion. Honor killings are cultural sweetheart, not religion-based.
I see how you easily brush it off when a Christian commits it but when a Muslim does, it's the end of the world.

The way I see it, your religion isn't so perfect and peaceful, is it?
Religion is religion, Christianity is Christianity. Christians are violent from the way I see and your ego will never let you admit that.

Edited by bhrhrahraa

[quote name='Pomak' date='09 December 2009 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1260418495' post='2017260']
The Prophet s.a.w.s. said in his last sermon, "...and today the devil has all but given up hope of misguiding you in the big things, so be careful of the small things and cling closely to the rope of Allah". So its not going to happen.
[/quote]

I know this quote was like 3 pages ago, but a lot happened since last night.

But I have a question. Winchester said you're going to end up with people like the Kennedy's or Pelosi in your fold. You responded with this. Meaning that the fold isn't going to go astray.

Does this mean that the Muslim "radicals" we call today, aren't really "radical" at all? If you claim that people in your fold are not going to be misled, that means that the true terrorists are doing exactly what Islam teaches, right?

I mean it seems to me that you want to distance yourself from those people, just as us Catholics say the Kennedy's are not truly Catholic. Yet you're saying the opposite?

HisChildForever

[quote name='bhrhrahraa' date='10 December 2009 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1260454652' post='2017413']

It's the same how you take honor killings and apply it to a religion when it has no boundaries or is solely inclined to religion. Honor killings are cultural sweetheart, not religion-based.
I see how you easily brush it off when a Christian commits it but when a Muslim does, it's the end of the world.

Religion is religion, Christianity is Christianity. Christians are violent from the way I see and your ego will never let you admit that.
[/quote]

Again, the first link you provided had NOTHING to do with Christianity. The second link you provided was a MUSLIM BLOG. That is not a reliable news source for obvious reasons. But, please, if you want to continue ignoring Islamic violence, go right ahead. For you to suggest that my religion is the violent one is probably the best joke I've heard all year. Oh, and you can stop blatantly insulting my intelligence. It's getting real old real fast.

[quote name='bhrhrahraa' date='10 December 2009 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1260454652' post='2017413']

[/quote]

I think the problem many of us have is that your primary religious texts give support for the idea of violence in certain cases (note all the violent punishments pointed out).

I don't know of a Christian text that supports the Christian in violence. In fact most of the text is opposite. So when Christians commit an honor killing, they are not acting in line with Christianity, they're merely being human.

But when a Muslim gets 4 witnesses he can legitimately kill he woman based on the religious text. Thus the difference is that your text directly supports the killing of people; ours does not.

Secondly, about the trial...

I could be wrong, but a few questions...

Isn't a Muslim woman counted as 1/2 a witness as a man?
Isn't a non-muslim not counted as a witness at all?
Can't the judge bring in their own knowledge of the subject aside from the facts presented?
There is no right to cross exam a witness is there? So getting four witnesses could be as easy as rounding up four men and paying them off, at least theoretically?
There are no procedures for Islamic trials, or at least very little correct? They can be held informally, in someone's house for example.

Third,

Many of you keep pointing to the text itself, which justifies killing people in certain contexts. You're argument is that it takes 4 witnesses to convict someone, so there is this safeguard in place. Yet these types of convictions do occur, and as I understand it, maybe not frequently, but they do occur. So the truth of the matter is that people are really killed following the Islamic law?

Edited by rkwright

HisChildForever

[/quote]

Oh, my ego. Good riddance. @@

My religion was not founded by a pedophile. My religion was not founded by a mongering warlord. My religion was founded by Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, true God and true man.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1260456969' post='2017424']
Again, the first link you provided had NOTHING to do with Christianity. The second link you provided was a MUSLIM BLOG. That is not a reliable news source for obvious reasons. But, please, if you want to continue ignoring Islamic violence, go right ahead. For you to suggest that my religion is the violent one is probably the best joke I've heard all year. Oh, and you can stop blatantly insulting my intelligence. It's getting real old real fast.
[/quote]

Umm.. are you blind? It had all to do with Christians. The father killed his daughter because she was dating a Muslim man. Wow, talk about religious tolerance.

The second link was absolutely legit. It was kind of a big thing when it happened.

And so just because it was from a Muslim blog it means it's fraud? Ohh really? Well, in that case, all the links you provided about Muslims being atrocious are fraud as well considering the fact that they were from nonMuslim sources.

No, I'm not gonna change my views about you or your religion and exactly, your religion is a joke.

HisChildForever

[quote name='bhrhrahraa' date='10 December 2009 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1260457528' post='2017432']
Umm.. are you blind? It had all to do with Christians. The father killed his daughter because she was dating a Muslim man. Wow, talk about religious tolerance.

The second link was absolutely legit. It was kind of a big thing when it happened.

And so just because it was from a Muslim blog it means it's fraud? Ohh really? Well, in that case, all the links you provided about Muslims being atrocious are fraud as well considering the fact that they were from nonMuslim sources.[/quote]

Oh come on, this is research methods 101. @@

[quote] No, I'm not gonna change my views about you or your religion and exactly, your religion is a joke.
[/quote]

My religion preaches peace. Yours, violence. [mod]Negative Criticism of Other Religions- MIKolbe[/mod]

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='10 December 2009 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1260457674' post='2017434']
Oh come on, this is research methods 101. @@

My religion preaches peace. Yours, violence. [mod]Negative Criticism of Other Religions-MIKolbe[/mod]
[/quote]

May Allah Subhan Wa Taala guide you. I'll make prayers for you and the rest of your clan.
Have a good day.

Laudate_Dominum

Wow, this thread has really been productive and respectful. :annoyed:

If I were still a mod I'd be closing this thread and giving some warns.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote]Negative Criticism of Other Religions
A post or comment that negatively criticizes (as opposed to constructively criticizes) a different religion in a way that is harmful to open ecumenical dialogue.[/quote]

And Todd, I know the meaning of "ecumenical," but this guideline obviously applies to interreligious dialog as well.

But really, it is one thing to have a debate about Islam between Catholics and it is another to be intentionally blasphemous to Muslims who visit this site for no purpose other than to be rude. Comments such as "Muhammad the pedophile" are wrong.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='10 December 2009 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1260458796' post='2017449']
And Todd, I know the meaning of "ecumenical," but in this guideline applies to interreligious dialog as well.

But really, it is one thing to have a debate about Islam between Catholics and it is another to be intentionally blasphemous to Muslims who visit this site for no purpose other than to be rude. Comments such as "Muhammad the pedophile" are wrong.
[/quote]
what about "your religion is a joke" comment made by our visiting "brothers?" why is it that the Christians in this forum are always criticized but the non-believers are the ones who get away with murder?

i just don't get it...

Edited by dominicansoul

whoa! this topic degenerated pretty quickly.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1260448901' post='2017398']
The majority of my professors were Muslim, or at least they claimed to be Muslim. Moreover, the texts were primary sources (i.e., texts written by Muslims), so I do not see how one could call that aspect of my degree "Western/non-Muslim." I was required to critically appraise the things I read, but I doubt that you would want to say that that practice is "Western/non-Muslim," because that would imply that Muslims do not think critically when reading documents from their own religious tradition.
[/quote]

Difficult to say what kind of Islam you were taught there. One thing is sure, it is not the same as my Islam. Mine and other 1 billion+ people's.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='10 December 2009 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1260459223' post='2017450']
what about "your religion is a joke" comment made by our visiting "brothers?" why is it that the Christians in this forum are always criticized but the non-believers are the ones who get away with murder?

i just don't get it...
[/quote]
Yes, the discussion was dragged down to a low level and I would close the thread were I a mod, but really, that statement is not as bad as what preceded it, namely "pedophile warmonger" stuff. And the behavior of Christians on this forum reflects on everyone and on the Church. Catholics have always been held to a higher standard here and this is just imo. When someone comes here and bashes the Church I may be offended and upset, but I do not feel personally ashamed. In the case of some above statements I am personally ashamed.