An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Are Things In The Roman Catholic Church?

mortify

The Roman Catholic Church  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

this is what I picture when I see the word "upbeat."

[img]http://www.clevelandseniors.com/photos/donwebster/upbeat-dancers.jpg[/img]

So I ended up voting "concerned" even though I don't know exactly what is meant by that. "No feelings" sounded too Vulcan even for me, but maybe I should change my vote to that in honor of Spock.

I voted "concerned," but only in the view of the Church as I see it from my localized area (read: my diocese). Here, things are not so good...it's nt cause for despair, that's true, but there is so much that can change. Catechesis here is awful and has always been awful.

On a positive note, I can say that being a part of my diocesan-run Newman House has given me hope in we youth being the future of the Church. We are waking up and finally starting to care. It bodes well for the future, but would need to be more widespread to earn an "upbeat" vote from me.

Patience, as they say, is a virtue.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='06 December 2009 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1260080910' post='2015273']
Dude... I CAN'T WAIT.

Too bad Hardesty moved away, although... Maybe we could try to do a little weekend road trip to Hickville or wherever he lives now. :punk:
[/quote]

That would be great.

(back on track)

I think we need to find a way to give the 3rd world Church a proper sense of Catholicity. Let them fully realize that they are a viable and living aspect of the Church and their voice needs to be heard. Continuing to trust the spirit in the sense of ecumenism and laity responsibility. We are battling some evil in our culture and I think it is a battle of endurance.

eagle_eye222001

Upbeat.

Apologetics is up....still has ways to go and still many blind Catholics out there but Catholic Answers, Bible Christian Society, and many other sources have already done much good.

Abuse cases keep coming out, but nearly all these cases are cover-ups from decades ago when the Church was in a sketchy culture time.

Many of the priests I have encountered who may not exactly follow protocol, seem to act not of defiance, but just out of ignorance. With deep respect, I mean that it seems priests were not taught as well 40-60 years ago as they are now. I know a priest who converted from Protestantism in the 70s, and about ten-fifteen years after converting, he realized that some stuff he had been taught was not exactly correct. From the seminarians I have encountered recently, they seem to know their stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing them in the local churches someday.

Throughout the sex revolution of the 60s, the Church has remained steadfast in its teachings despite severe criticism. When Humanea Vitae came out, I believe many expected the Church to reverse some of it's teachings, and were plain shocked when the Church affirmed what it has always taught.

So yes, despite that 70% of Catholics who stopped going to Mass after Vatican II and have not yet resumed, and despite the many Catholic-in-name-only politicians running around, I am heartily encouraged with the increase in quality vocations to the priesthood and religious life, and the rise in Apologetics.

upbeat because: new vocations are exploding, we will have a new missal soon (woot!), the EF Mass is becoming more popular, and B16 is awesome :) also, all the seminarians i know are incredibly orthodox and will make fantastic pastors!

Edited by loveletslive

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslbcwm/Places/Rural_Regional_Towns/Rosewood/Rosewood%20-%20St%20Brigid's%20Roman%20Catholic%20Church%20Full.jpg

dominicansoul

i'm gonna say concerned from where I stand...in the diocese I live in, liberalism has taken root...it'll take a while to get rid of the spiritual disease wrought by the unorthodox practices, wishy-washy lessons, poor catechetical programs etc. etc. I'll even venture to say a whole generation will pass before things get better...

I'm a cathechist...and I recognize there is a big problem with indifferentism...there's a big problem with lukewarmness and apathy...God isn't part of the family life. Children are brought to catechism because a parent wants their child to receive their Sacraments. It's more though like a "rite of passage." Many participate in the Church like walking into a department store...they use the revolving door to come in, take what's of interest to them, and they go out...and then we won't see them until it's time for another Sacrament...most of the students I teach don't even bother to come to Mass on Sundays...and many tell me they really don't have much interest in a relationship with Jesus...

I dont' give up, of course, because, in the course of a year of teaching our Faith with orthodoxy, and not watering down the teachings of the Church...I do find that students are hungry for the Faith...and many awaken to the fact that there is a God that exists...and He's madly in love with them...

...I was called to preach the Truth to Catholics...because our Church is in great need of healing, and the only way to heal Her is by preaching the TRUTH and only the TRUTH that was given us by Jesus Christ...not some politically correct, wishy washy kumbaya stuff that has rusted the splendor of the Church now for 40 years...in this I have hope...that God will send more orthodox teachers into catechetical programs who aren't afraid to speak out against the evils of the times, and are not afraid to teach children about the consequences of sins...

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='06 December 2009 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1260080331' post='2015264']
I think the Church needs to get out of the dark ages and focus on the Cosmic Christ and his ecological passion.

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/GC.jpg[/IMG]

:sweat: kidding.

Rev is the man. :beer:
[/quote]
I miss that as your avatar. :mellow:
And yes, Rev is the man.

Rosemary's Goddaughter

[quote name='mortify' date='09 December 2009 - 01:03 AM' timestamp='1260331380' post='2016446']
I'm concerned because condemned opinions are now commonly taught and accepted, and despite this the majority think everything is ok.
[/quote]

Me too. I'm studying theology right now, and some of the things I hear at school really make me shudder.

But, on the other hand, as others have said before me, this is the Church. The gates of hell cannot and will not prevail against it. So how can we be anything but optimistic in the long run?

I kinda wish it were possible to choose more than one response for the poll. Judging by the posts here I think a lot of people are concerned, but still upbeat too. Just my thoughts.