An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion

elizabeth09

[quote name='elizabeth09' date='02 December 2009 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1259772076' post='2013189']
Being for-life was hard then, but now it easyer now, what is your point of view of abortion?
[/quote]

Why is it easier now?

[quote name='hot stuff' date='02 December 2009 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1259775274' post='2013209']
Why is it easier now?
[/quote]

Because in those days, popular sentiment had not yet made it bad form for police to break non-violent protester's arms with nunchucks, or to rip off their badges and begin dishing out mahogany shampoos.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9MAFSo-jgk"]Police Doing Their Jobs[/url]

Intending to inflict suffering as a means of "pain compliance"/coercing the will is also known as torture. It was and is standard operating procedure for policemen. Perhaps you forgot the police officers who inflicted so much violence on non-violent people in the 1980's. I have not. Listen to the priest talk about how the police officers laughed at their screams. I wonder how many of them refused to enforce those unjust laws. But no, I don't wonder. They just did their jobs.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

Today while eating lunch with three new friends from university, the conversation turned towards abortion. Two of them considered themselves pro life, the last I imagine is pro choice. All three of them knew at least one person close to them who's had an abortion. I found it a bit shocking..... we're 18 and 19 years old. :blink: It seems too young! ...but I know I'm being naive.

When I was in high school, like 20 years ago, it seems like the debate was more limited to philosophical and religious points. Today science and technology lends itself more to the debate than it used to.

I'd like to apologize for the tone in my saying "Perhaps you forgot." There was nothing in your simply-put question which merited that. It was the memory of things in the past that inflamed me.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='02 December 2009 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1259812242' post='2013570']
When I was in high school, like 20 years ago, it seems like the debate was more limited to philosophical and religious points. Today science and technology lends itself more to the debate than it used to.
[/quote]
I'm convinced that is because kids today do not remember a time when abortion wasn't legal. They don't think there is anything left to debate.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='02 December 2009 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1259807862' post='2013501']
Today while eating lunch with three new friends from university, the conversation turned towards abortion. Two of them considered themselves pro life, the last I imagine is pro choice. All three of them knew at least one person close to them who's had an abortion. I found it a bit shocking..... we're 18 and 19 years old. :blink: It seems too young! ...but I know I'm being naive.
[/quote]

Joseph B, you need to realize you are getting old.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='03 December 2009 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1259895842' post='2014140']
I'm convinced that is because kids today do not remember a time when abortion wasn't legal. They don't think there is anything left to debate.
[/quote]
In Canada the politicians don't think there is either. :(

[quote name='elizabeth09' date='02 December 2009 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1259772076' post='2013189']
Being for-life was hard then, but now it easyer now, what is your point of view of abortion?
[/quote]
You just kinda type sometimes, don't ya?

[quote name='CatherineM' date='03 December 2009 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1259895842' post='2014140']
[/quote]

I have to agree with that. On January 22, 1973, abortion became legal, because of Roe v. Wade.
http://www.tourolaw.edu/patch/Roe/
Here is the link to some infor.

[quote name='PizzaSandwhich' date='04 December 2009 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1259980380' post='2014620']
"I personally oppose abortion but..."

Those words are going to get many a politican sent to Hell.
[/quote]

It's what follows the "but" that really matters.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='04 December 2009 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1259981044' post='2014629']
It's what follows the "but" that really matters.
[/quote]

Sometimes it stinks really bad, too.