An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Plan Of Salvation

todd_vetter33

[quote name='todd_vetter33' date='02 December 2009 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1259811508' post='2013556']
Regarding the anointing In bethany Event that occured only one time in the week prior to the Crucifixion of Christ.

-Gospel of John places this event 6 days before the Passover (8 Nissan by Jewish reconning of Time)
-Gospel of Matt places this event 2 days before the passover (12 Nissan by Jewish reconning of time)
-Gospel of Mark places this event 2 days before the Passover (12 Nissan)
-2nd to 3rd Century Bishop quoting from Matt as it appeard in his day says this event fell on (10 Nissan) and claims it was the second day of the week See page 9 and 12 in comparison.
-Gospel of Holy twelve places this single event on the Evening of the Sabbath before the passover. When placed on a time line along with other historical evidence illustrating prophecy fulfiment this would also be 10 Nissan

All the Christian world agrees the Passover is 14 Nissan according to the laws of moses where Christ was Crucified in place of the lamb.
[/quote]

These gospels, which were inspired and authored by God, were penned by men God Ordained, and then allowed them the use of their own resources and literary artistry, in order to complete. Mark, for instance, would have had to confer with eye witnesses and other sources in order to figure out the dates. Surely some of those eye witnesses couldn't remember precisely what date a specific miracle of Jesus occurred? Geesh. The fact that they were all able to come within four days of one another is pretty good! I think you should take that as proof of it's authenticity!!! In science, we repeat experiments multiple times over in order to verify our results, and with results like that, I would call that high precision!

[quote]
Only one of the historical testimonies listed above is speaking truth inspired by God for a single event. Which is it.
[/quote]

Truth is what God intended for us to get out of the passage. I honestly don't think that God wanted for us to walk away knowing what specific day such and such happened. Who cares!?!? Really. Do you? Is that central to your faith as a Christian? It sure isn't to mine. God had some other lesson for us to glean that was much more important than what day some event happened on.

[quote]
1. Is the Holy Spirit lying when the bible says this event was 8 Nissan or 12 Nissan?
[/quote]

Nope. The Holy Spirit was allowing the human scribes to use their own resources and memories to pen some greater truth.

[quote]
2. Is the Catholic church lying by presenting this single event on more than one day since the bible is Catholic doctrine?
[/quote]

Nope. The Church is repeating what the bible says.

[quote]
3. How is the bible perfect if it is telling a lie regarding this single event in history?
[/quote]

The Bible is perfect in that it contains all of the theological truth that we need, and that it is free from theological error. It is not meant to be read as a chronology of events.

todd_vetter33

[quote name='mommas_boy' date='03 December 2009 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1259817447' post='2013631']
These gospels, which were inspired and authored by God, were penned by men God Ordained, and then allowed them the use of their own resources and literary artistry, in order to complete. Mark, for instance, would have had to confer with eye witnesses and other sources in order to figure out the dates. Surely some of those eye witnesses couldn't remember precisely what date a specific miracle of Jesus occurred? Geesh. The fact that they were all able to come within four days of one another is pretty good! I think you should take that as proof of it's authenticity!!! In science, we repeat experiments multiple times over in order to verify our results, and with results like that, I would call that high precision!

[color="#0000ff"]This whole statement is a speculation that cannot be proven and goes contrary to the answers you gave to my orignal questions!
[/color]
Truth is what God intended for us to get out of the passage. I honestly don't think that God wanted for us to walk away knowing what specific day such and such happened. Who cares!?!? Really. Do you? Is that central to your faith as a Christian? It sure isn't to mine. God had some other lesson for us to glean that was much more important than what day some event happened on.

[color="#0000ff"]Did God intend for you to get truth from a Passage or from the Holy spirit? Is a passage the holy spirit?
[/color]

Nope. The Holy Spirit was allowing the human scribes to use their own resources and memories to pen some greater truth.

[color="#0000ff"]So sinful Men can pen greater truth than the truth from the holy spirit?
[/color]
Nope. The Church is repeating what the bible says.

[color="#0000ff"]Would the church save souls better if they repeated the truth they received from the holy spirit since those of the truth hear God's voice according to Jesus when he answered Pilate?

[/color]The Bible is perfect in that it contains all of the theological truth that we need, and that it is free from theological error. It is not meant to be read as a chronology of events.

[color="#0000ff"]Does the bible contain the holy spirit and the Born again process since no man enters the kingdom of heaven unless they are born again?[/color]
[/quote]

Look everybody, someone doesn't understand the purpose of the Scriptures!

[img]http://www.jlh-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg[/img]