An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scandals Of Past Popes

goldenchild17

Joan of Arc was declared a witch and burned at the stake by pope Eugenious the 4th, but Pope Benedict 15th declared her a saint in 1919.

Pope Victor the 3rd was poisoned while partaking of the chalice at Mass. He died!

[quote name='TheSword' date='04 December 2009 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1259932756' post='2014300']
Pope Honorious was condemned as a heretic by the 6th General Council. This alone should prove that the bishops at the time had no idea of any papal infallibility.
[/quote]
Actually, it supports it because he was prevented from insinuating heresy into the Deposit of the Faith.

[quote name='TheSword' date='04 December 2009 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1259933259' post='2014304']
Joan of Arc was declared a witch and burned at the stake by pope Eugenious the 4th, but Pope Benedict 15th declared her a saint in 1919.[/quote]
Strange. That was a decision usually left to the state. This must be a unique case in which the Pope went and made the ruling, then set the pyre alight himself. Typically, the inquisitional court decided guilt and assessed penance, but in some cases, the guilty party was turned over to the state.
[quote]
Pope Victor the 3rd was poisoned while partaking of the chalice at Mass. He died!
[/quote]
Thus far all but one of our popes has died. Clearly this proves something...

Who was the one that was exhumed, dressed up in papal regalia, put on trial for heresy, then defrocked and beheaded?
That's just embarrassing for all involved. :ohno:

goldenchild17

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='04 December 2009 - 08:26 AM' timestamp='1259936803' post='2014328']
Who was the one that was exhumed, dressed up in papal regalia, put on trial for heresy, then defrocked and beheaded?
That's just embarrassing for all involved. :ohno:
[/quote]

I think Pope Stephen did that to Pope Formosus.

Thanks ya'll, this thread didn't really do what I intended, but thought I would try.

[quote name='TheSword' date='04 December 2009 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1259933259' post='2014304']
Joan of Arc was declared a witch and burned at the stake by pope Eugenious the 4th, but Pope Benedict 15th declared her a saint in 1919.

[/quote]

The Pope didn't have anything to do with St. Joan's execution. It was Bishop Cauchon who oversaw her trial...

[quote name='Winchester' date='03 December 2009 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1259864500' post='2013840']
Peter directly denied Christ. That's pretty bad.

One of Jesus's hand-picked Apostles betrayed Him.

Apparently, being weak doesn't disqualify one from office.
[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but Peter was not declared to be infallible by Jesus, that we know of. Being weak has nothing to do with it. However, when one claims to be infallible and then makes fallible statements or carries out fallible actions...well, it just makes me wonder.

[quote name='Selah' date='04 December 2009 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1259972834' post='2014549']
Pardon my ignorance, but Peter was not declared to be infallible by Jesus, that we know of. Being weak has nothing to do with it. However, when one claims to be infallible and then makes fallible statements or carries out fallible actions...well, it just makes me wonder.
[/quote]

Peter demonstrated infallibility on multiple occasions. Most obvious among them being his authorship of 2 infallible letters which are part of our New Testament Canon.

[quote name='Selah' date='04 December 2009 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1259972834' post='2014549']
Pardon my ignorance, [/quote]
Consider it pardoned.

There are sources which can alleviate your ignorance of infallibility. I wish you luck in finding the sources quickly.

But what I do not understand is, why is it that Popes have, in the past, made fallible statements and acted in a fallible manner? Furthermore, why does Christ not tell Peter that he is infallible when it comes to faith and morals? There Popes who have been condemned as heretics, etc...how can a fallible human being be infallible?

I'm not being a smart aleck, here, I really want to know.

[quote]There are sources which can alleviate your ignorance of infallibility. I wish you luck in finding the sources quickly.[/quote]

I'll be a-hunting

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' date='04 December 2009 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1259973990' post='2014558']
But what I do not understand is, why is it that Popes have, in the past, made fallible statements and acted in a fallible manner? Furthermore, why does Christ not tell Peter that he is infallible when it comes to faith and morals? There Popes who have been condemned as heretics, etc...how can a fallible human being be infallible?
[/quote]
So you must not accept the Bible, either.

[quote name='Selah' date='04 December 2009 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1259973990' post='2014558']
But what I do not understand is, why is it that Popes have, in the past, made fallible statements and acted in a fallible manner? Furthermore, why does Christ not tell Peter that he is infallible when it comes to faith and morals? There are anti-popes, Popes who have been condemned as heretics, etc...how can a fallible human being be infallible?
[/quote]

A response to these questions is beyond the scope of this thread.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Selah' date='04 December 2009 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1259973990' post='2014558']

I'm not being a smart aleck, here, I really want to know.

I'll be a-hunting
[/quote]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Papal_Infallibility.asp"]Papal Infallibility[/url]

[quote name='Veridicus' date='04 December 2009 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1259973248' post='2014551']
Peter demonstrated infallibility on multiple occasions. Most obvious among them being his authorship of 2 infallible letters which are part of our New Testament Canon.
[/quote]

isnt infallibility supposed to be all the time, not just on occassion? otherwise i would be infallible every time i was right about something(it happens! i swear!)

"he is infallible! ...except when he isnt."

:wacko: