An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Thanksgiving A Religious Holiday, Nowadays

add

Is Thanksgiving a religious holiday, anymore?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='apparently' date='29 November 2009 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1259529713' post='2011336']
i do not get it
[/quote]
In other words, he tells "Yo Momma" jokes, etc.

little_miss_late

[quote name='Era Might' date='29 November 2009 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1259534459' post='2011413']
In other words, he tells "Yo Momma" jokes, etc.
[/quote]

I love Yo Momma jokes :eek:

[quote name='little_miss_late' date='29 November 2009 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1259544498' post='2011561']
I love Yo Momma jokes :eek:
[/quote]
Then you should become a black humourist like Nihil Obstat. :P

Obviously, Thanksgiving is a "religious" holiday, inasfar as it's whole purpose is a day to give thanks to God.

You can't have thanksgiving without One to give thanks to.

There is one thing — and only one thing — that we know for certain: It may not have been a religious Thanksgiving day for Tiger Woods.

Edited by apparently

I was reading this thread and I was a bit surprised, especially I didn't expect to see so much passion in a similar thread!
I'd like to ask: when exactly Thanksgiving is?
Well, as European, I think this is a typical American Holiday: in Europe we haven't but we can see it in many American films!
I think it is a very nice holiday, probably a good occasion to stay with the family!
We too have a day in which we have the "thanksgiving", but it isn't a nationa holiday, and I know of it only when I go to church, I neither remember when it is exactly (but I tink a different day from yours).
Halloween too is an American holiday, but since some years it entered in our countries (I mean that kind of parties with scheletons and monsters and so on...): in this case I don't like it at all, but, of course, we too have the religious Holiday of All Saints the 1st of November.

PS, to apparently: unfortunately, I'm much older than fidei defensor, but I can say your post was very irritating and, moreover, it wasn't at all a good argument to justify your idea. It is true that when you grow older life becomes much more complicated, but it is not at all true that when you grow older you always become a better or a wiser person.

[quote]PS, to apparently: unfortunately, I'm much older than fidei defensor,but I can say your post was very irritating and, moreover, it wasn't atall a good argument to justify your idea. It is true that when you growolder life becomes much more complicated, but it is not at all truethat when you grow older you always become a better or a wiser person.[/quote]
It is true, grown men sometimes are not geniuses, for I 'am one. Wisdom can be an elusive object.
However, at the tender age of 19 the journey of life has only just begun. This fact is irrefutable
I failed to see or admit this flaw in my own child;furthermore I did nothing to point out this lack of understanding for fear of offending her. it is a deep regret of mine.

Humility is the holy gift of Thanksgiving.

[quote name='apparently' date='30 November 2009 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1259595454' post='2011933']
It is true, grown men sometimes are not geniuses, for I 'am one. Wisdom can be an elusive object.
However, at the tender age of 19 the journey of life has only just begun. This fact is irrefutable
I failed to see or admit this flaw [s]in my[/s] to my own child;furthermore I did nothing to point out this lack of understanding for fear of offending her. it is a deep regret of mine.
[list][*][color="#0000ff"][b]( by the way, the flaw i speak of is not my offspring's, it is mine. )
[/b][/color][/list]Humility is the holy gift of Thanksgiving.
[/quote]

Edited by apparently

[quote name='apparently' date='30 November 2009 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1259595454' post='2011933']
[/quote]

Ok, but...and then?
What do you mean with this?
Maybe are you speaking to youth people thinking of your child?
I can say, for my personal experience (of course others experience could be different) that in general, beacause youth is a tender age, you are very vulnerable when you are young.
For example, I suffered much in my adolescence, while now I'm really happy.
And, another thing, I read a lot of books when I was young.
Now, I haven't the time nor I feel like reading books as I did in the past. I was at the beginning, but perhaps in some things I knew more things than now!
It is only an exaple.
Finally, I can't see the connection between being young and the Thanksgiving.
I can only say that, since I was often sad in my childhood, now I have much more things that make me thank than I had in the past.
Maybe is this different point of view between adult and young people which give a different perception of the Holiday?
To me, this is a beautiful holiday, and I'd like very much that it would exist also in my country.
But maybe a young man (or also an old) could be sad in his soul and could find difficult to say thank.

[quote name='organwerke' date='30 November 2009 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1259617378' post='2012129']
Ok, but...and then?
What do you mean with this?
Maybe are you speaking to youth people thinking of your child?
I can say, for my personal experience (of course others experience could be different) that in general, beacause youth is a tender age, you are very vulnerable when you are young.
For example, I suffered much in my adolescence, while now I'm really happy.
And, another thing, I read a lot of books when I was young.
Now, I haven't the time nor I feel like reading books as I did in the past. I was at the beginning, but perhaps in some things I knew more things than now!
It is only an exaple.
Finally, I can't see the connection between being young and the Thanksgiving.
I can only say that, since I was often sad in my childhood, now I have much more things that make me thank than I had in the past.
Maybe is this different point of view between adult and young people which give a different perception of the Holiday?
To me, this is a beautiful holiday, and I'd like very much that it would exist also in my country.
But maybe a young man (or also an old) could be sad in his soul and could find difficult to say thank.
[/quote]

It is not uncommon or unusual for a 19 YO to take for granted a-parent and all they have done to raise them; as my mother would always said to me when I acted up or misbehaved "Be thankful for what you have" to which I would reply "what does that have to do with anything" and her reply would be"you will understand when you have children of your own". She was right (as always)

She was a good mom, I miss her

Apparently sorry, but I still don't understand you.
I can imagine that you got angry or at least you didn't understand when your mother said so, and now you get angry and you don't understand if a young man doesn't seem to be too incline to thank? But what do you know about him? We [b]aren't[/b] speaking about you, your mother or your child.
As it is irrefutable that at the tender age of 19 the journey of life has only just begun, it is irrefutable the same that many unlucky young men (and women) have nothing to thank their parents.
I don't know if this is the case, very luckily it isn't mine, but anyway, you should avoid to say such paternalistic things if you don't know the people you are speaking too.
You should keep in mind that you haven't the right to address a young man this way, since he is [b]not[/b] your own child.
Nor am I.
Blessings and prayers for your family.

[quote name='Era Might' date='26 November 2009 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1259244811' post='2009676']
I don't consider Thanksgiving a religious holiday. It didn't really originate with a religion, though it did originate with religious people. It is a secular holiday, though God is part of it (because he is the one ultimately being thanked).
[/quote]

Yeah, that's how I kind of thought about it. However, it can be made a religious holiday within our families. What better time to give thanks for God's many gifts than the day to give thanks?? =)