An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Thanksgiving A Religious Holiday, Nowadays

add

Is Thanksgiving a religious holiday, anymore?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='apparently' date='27 November 2009 - 06:44 PM' timestamp='1259369094' post='2010419']
there is no need to swear, i do not know you or you me. there is no shame in being 19 YO, i wish i was again...

you will learn, believe me life is complicated, I'm still learning and I'm more than twice your age.
[/quote]
That's not what the issue here is right now. No matter how you agree or disagree with Fidei, your last post was condescending and arrogant. I can see why he's mad, and hope he doesn't get a suspension over it.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 November 2009 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1259370332' post='2010434']
That's not what the issue here is right now. No matter how you agree or disagree with Fidei, your last post was condescending and arrogant. I can see why he's mad, and hope he doesn't get a suspension over it.
[/quote]

Gee idk, when I was younger I was always told the same thing by elders. I didn't find it condescending and arrogant. But I can see how it could have been interpenetrated that way.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1259370496' post='2010436']
Gee idk, when I was younger I was always told the same thing by elders. I didn't find it condescending and arrogant. But I can see how it could have been interpenetrated that way.
[/quote]
I wouldn't have an issue with it if the rest of the post wasn't the way it was. It wasn't just the age reference, it was the post as a whole.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1259370496' post='2010436']
[/quote]
It was condescending and arrogant because he assumed that because I'm 19, i've never had troubles in my life nor have I learned anything about anything. He couldn't be further from the truth.

In all honesty, if that's the kind of "arguments" that are allowed around here, I hope I'm suspended. I'm better off spending my time elsewhere.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='28 November 2009 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1259388071' post='2010545']
It was condescending and arrogant because he assumed that because I'm 19, i've never had troubles in my life nor have I learned anything about anything. He couldn't be further from the truth.

In all honesty, if that's the kind of "arguments" that are allowed around here, I hope I'm suspended. I'm better off spending my time elsewhere.
[/quote]

Ok it may well been condescending and arrogant. Yet, sir, you made no better statement, and therefor lost reason to complain about what he stated.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='28 November 2009 - 12:11 AM' timestamp='1259388704' post='2010549']
Ok it may well been condescending and arrogant. Yet, sir, you made no better statement, and therefor lost reason to complain about what he stated.
[/quote]
Well I'm 19, I don't know better.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='28 November 2009 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1259389010' post='2010550']
Well I'm 19, I don't know better.
[/quote]

You know much.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='28 November 2009 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1259389060' post='2010551']
You know much.
[/quote]
Nope. All I know is that I love booze and partying. What's Thanksgiving?

or you could just give thanks anyway every day, but do it with a turkey in front of you on thanksgiving. that seems easy.

edit: woah thread took an unsuspected turn on the second page.
that was pretty condescending.
hang around Fidei, you are pretty cool.

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='28 November 2009 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1259388071' post='2010545']

[/quote]

You have much to learn, my young Padawan

Thanksgiving is a good time to recall our many blessings and to express our gratitude for them with a full heart, not only with our words but our deeds as well.
:cheers:

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='27 November 2009 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1259356023' post='2010344']
No, I'm saying that you don't need a holiday to be thankful. I don't see why he's working so hard to defend thanksgiving as a Christian holiday. Be thankful everyday. You don't need a holiday.
[/quote]

We don't need a holiday to be thankful individually, but as a nation, we do.

Jim

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='28 November 2009 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1259388071' post='2010545']

[/quote]
I doubt if it was meant as condescending or arrogant. I doubt if he is denying your intelligence.
The comment is more to your perspective at 19, as say to someone in their 50s or 60s. There is a generational, emotional, and maturational gap between us that sometimes cannot be easily bridged or explained, or can be expressed poorly.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='28 November 2009 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1259422237' post='2010664']
I doubt if it was meant as condescending or arrogant. I doubt if he is denying your intelligence.
The comment is more to your perspective at 19, as say to someone in their 50s or 60s. There is a generational, emotional, and maturational gap between us that sometimes cannot be easily bridged or explained, or can be expressed poorly.
[/quote]

thank you c-mom, you are very perceptive and insightful. :mellow:
i do not doubt your intelligence, not at all or meant any criticism of you, fidei defensor. perhaps i did expressed poorly, perhaps. it is my way of making a point

[b] [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showuser=2208"]
[/url][/b]

Edited by apparently