An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Thanksgiving A Religious Holiday, Nowadays

add

Is Thanksgiving a religious holiday, anymore?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1259301372' post='2010135']
Jesus Christ is limited to Christianity. Thanksgiving, was thanks to Jesus Christ.
[/quote]

Thanks to Jesus through good, righteous protestant worship.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Era Might' date='27 November 2009 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1259301380' post='2010136']
I do not celebrate holidays just because they are celebrated and founded by Christians.

I will grant, for the sake of discussion, that Thanksgiving is a "Christian Holiday." Okay. But I do not celebrate it as a "Christian Holiday," because as I said, I do not celebrate holidays just because they are established by Christians. I celebrate Thanksgiving because I am an American, not because I am a Christian. I celebrate Christmas because I am a Christian, not because I am an American.
[/quote]

I am glad we can agree. I celebrate Thanksgiving because I am Christian living in America. I do it to give thanks to Jesus Christ for all His many blessings on this Nation, and that is the founding reason for Thanksgiving.

Abraham Lincoln had the right idea about making Thanksgiving a nation holiday. So, he make it the fourth Thursday in November, which was smart. So, when Thanksgiving started before this, but we never had a date to really celebrate on. I am thankful that we have the freedom from some things.
http://www.classicallibrary.org/lincoln/thanksgiving.htm

bserve the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='27 November 2009 - 12:58 AM' timestamp='1259301481' post='2010137']
Thanks to Jesus through good, righteous protestant worship.
[/quote]

Instant replay...

'Thanks' to Jesus is not limited to protestantism.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1259301980' post='2010141']
I am glad we can agree. I celebrate Thanksgiving because I am Christian living in America. I do it to give thanks to Jesus Christ for all His many blessings on this Nation, and that is the founding reason for Thanksgiving.
[/quote]
I celebrate Thanksgiving because I am an American, not because I am a Christian living in America. And I do not celebrate Thanksgiving for patriotic reasons. Frankly, I'm not much of a believer in the American self-mythos. And Thanksgiving is bound up with the American self-mythos. If I were an Indian, I probably would not celebrate Thanksgiving. But I was born in the context of American society, and Thanksgiving is a national holiday, so I just accept the day for family, turkey, and football. But I have no great investment in what Thanksgiving, as an American holiday, represents. When I want to give thanks as a Christian, I do so through the means of my own religion, primarily through the Liturgy. Thanksgiving is a holiday of the nation in which I am a citizen; it is not a holy day of my religion.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Era Might' date='27 November 2009 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1259302381' post='2010148']
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving because I am a Christian living in America. I celebrate Thanksgiving because I am an American. And I do not celebrate Thanksgiving for patriotic reasons. Frankly, I'm not much of a believer in the American self-mythos. And Thanksgiving is bound up with the American self-mythos. If I were an Indian, I probably would not celebrate Thanksgiving. But I was born in the context of American society, and Thanksgiving is a national holiday, so I just accept the day for family, turkey, and football. But I have no great investment in what Thanksgiving, as an American holiday, represents. When I want to give thanks as a Christian, I do so through the means of my own religion, primarily through the Liturgy.
[/quote]

I know you've told us already, for you it's just a national holiday. When I give thanks as a Christian, I also do so through the means of the Catholic Faith.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='26 November 2009 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1259256824' post='2009737']
the Emancipation Proclamation did not free a single slave: it only applied to Southern states not already under Union dominion.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
Lincoln could hardly free slaves who were in areas not under the Federal Government's control, now could he? But it did actually free some, especially in those territories which had allowed the importation of slaves but had not seceded from the Union-- remember that one of the underlying causes of the Civil War was this very problem: if a slave owner from, say, Alabama, moved to Kansas and brought his slaves with him, while he couldn't buy or sell them in Kansas, neither were they automatically freed once he went over the Kansas border.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1259302852' post='2010150']
I know you've told us already, for you it's just a national holiday. When I give thanks as a Christian, I also do so through the means of the Catholic Faith.
[/quote]
I'm glad you need to vigorously defend a holiday to prove you give thanks to Jesus. Speaks volumes about you.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='27 November 2009 - 04:16 AM' timestamp='1259309772' post='2010188']
I'm glad you need to vigorously defend a holiday to prove you give thanks to Jesus. Speaks volumes about you.
[/quote]

taking things for granted and behaving as if we created ourselves and acquired everything we have from our own efforts is you... na,nana, booboo

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='apparently' date='27 November 2009 - 08:38 AM' timestamp='1259332705' post='2010221']
taking things for granted and behaving as if we created ourselves and acquired everything we have from our own efforts is you... na,nana, booboo
[/quote]
No, I'm saying that you don't need a holiday to be thankful. I don't see why he's working so hard to defend thanksgiving as a Christian holiday. Be thankful everyday. You don't need a holiday.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='27 November 2009 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1259356023' post='2010344']
No, I'm saying that you don't need a holiday to be thankful. I don't see why he's working so hard to defend thanksgiving as a Christian holiday. Be thankful everyday. You don't need a holiday.
[/quote]

i do. i need thanksgiving to put my blessing in prospective and for the pie
a holiday is a good idea
i see by your profile you are only 19 y o
you have not really lived yet
someday when you grow up and live on your own you may come to understand how much mom and dad did for you and how things work.
you may begin to understand why Thanksgiving is important.

good luck, kid

[quote name='apparently' date='27 November 2009 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1259362845' post='2010383']
a holiday is a good idea
someday when you grow up and live on your own you may come to understand how much mom and dad did for you and how things work.

good luck, kid
[/quote]
That seems fairly condescending, considering Fidei has often demonstrated fairly mature viewpoints and opinions. Plus I have a vested interest, being younger even than he is.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='27 November 2009 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1259356023' post='2010344']
[/quote]

I never said you need a holiday to give thanks to Christ. Indeed be thankful everyday. The problem was people where strongly ignorant of the historical facts and Christian foundation and origins of Thanksgivings day.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='apparently' date='27 November 2009 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1259362845' post='2010383']
a holiday is a good idea

good luck, kid
[/quote]
You know what, [mod]language-MIKolbe[/mod]. I don't even care if I get suspended. You don't even know me. You're a jerk.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='27 November 2009 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1259366658' post='2010406']
You know what, [mod]language- MIKolbe[/mod]. I don't even care if I get suspended. You don't even know me. You're a jerk.
[/quote]

there is no need to swear, i do not know you or you me. there is no shame in being 19 YO, i wish i was again...

you will learn, believe me life is complicated, I'm still learning and I'm more than twice your age.