An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Thanksgiving A Religious Holiday, Nowadays

add

Is Thanksgiving a religious holiday, anymore?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='elizabeth09' date='27 November 2009 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1259299045' post='2010077']
God, family, friends, good health, and a good job.
[/quote]

Thanksgiving to God is a religious act.

~Sternhauser

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Era Might' date='27 November 2009 - 12:14 AM' timestamp='1259298871' post='2010075']
I agree that giving thanks for the harvest is not limited to the Puritans. But if you are arguing that the specific holiday of "Thanksgiving" is a religious holiday, then that requires it to be connected to some religion. Since its origins are in Puritanism, that would make it a Puritan religious holiday. Since I am not a Puritan, I would not celebrate a Puritan religious holiday. I am a citizen of the United States, however, so I do celebrate Thanksgiving as a national holiday.
[/quote]

The specific holiday of "Thanksgiving" is a American religious holiday, because it gave thanks to Christ for the harvest, and other blessings. There's simply no denying it. That act of thanks to Christ was not and is not limited to Puritanism. All Christians share that same ideal of thanksgiving which Thanksgiving is based and founded upon.

If others wish to strip this day of Blessing and Thanks of its Christian roots... ok... But I will keep in mind that it is indeed a religious holiday which founding is the Christian principles of giving thanks to God for all our blessings.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1259299577' post='2010085']
The specific holiday of "Thanksgiving" is a American religious holiday, because it gave thanks to Christ for the harvest, and other blessings. There's simply no denying it. That act of thanks to Christ was not and is not limited to Puritanism. All Christians share that same ideal of thanksgiving which Thanksgiving is based and founded upon.

If others wish to strip this day of Blessing and Thanks of its Christian roots... ok... But I will keep in mind that it is indeed a religious holiday which founding is the Christian principles of giving thanks to God for all our blessings.
[/quote]

Stop trying to strip Thanksgiving of it's good Protestant roots you dirty revisionist.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='27 November 2009 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1259299821' post='2010091']
Stop trying to strip Thanksgiving of it's good Protestant roots you dirty revisionist.
[/quote]

Catholic's and Protestant's share the principles upon which Thanksgiving is founded.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1259299577' post='2010085']

[/quote]
I'm not stripping any blessings and thanks from Thanksgiving. But I still do not see it as a religious holiday. It is a secular holiday, established by the United States government. Since the United States government is not a religion, its holidays are not religious holidays. Christmas is a religious holiday despite, not because of, its legal status in the United States.

Whether or not Christians share the "ideal of thanksgiving," that does not mean I would celebrate a holiday established by a religion that I do not belong to. I can give thanks any day of the year. If Puritans establish a day to do so, I am not going to join in their religious holiday. That doesn't mean I'm against giving thanks, it just means that I don't celebrate the holidays of religions that I do not belong to. The only reason I celebrate Thanksgiving is because it is a national holiday. If I saw it as a Puritan religious holiday, then I would not celebrate it; the only religious holidays I celebrate are from my own religion.

I agree with you with it. It is not religious holiday, because the government is not all religious. Just watch what you say because there might be some people who will disagree with you.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 01:31 AM' timestamp='1259299915' post='2010097']
Catholic's and Protestant's share the principles upon which Thanksgiving is founded.
[/quote]

Don't forget the Jews! Turkey is kosher. I have no idea if it is halal. Hassan? Catholics are such food mavericks that we could eat a platypus and have no moral qualms whatsoever.

But I do know that it is wholly in accordance with the Lord's will to eat the turkey and stuffing that God, in His wisdom, provided for us.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Era Might' date='27 November 2009 - 12:33 AM' timestamp='1259300019' post='2010099']
I'm not stripping any blessings and thanks from Thanksgiving. But I still do not see it as a religious holiday. It is a secular holiday, established by the United States government. Since the United States government is not a religion, its holidays are not religious holidays. Christmas is a religious holiday despite, not because of, its legal status in the United States.

Whether or not Christians share the "ideal of Thanksgiving," that does not mean I would celebrate a holiday established by another religion that I do not belong to. I can give thanks any day of the year. If Puritans establish a day to do so, I am not going to join in their religious holiday. That doesn't mean I'm against giving thanks, it just means that I don't celebrate the holidays of religions that I do not belong to. The only reason I celebrate Thanksgiving is because it is a national holiday. If I saw it as a religious holiday, then I would not celebrate it. I celebrate holidays from my own religion.
[/quote]

I would point out you first argued that Thanksgiving had no origin in religion, which was incorrect. Your argument now is also incorrect, and your logic is flawed Thanksgiving existed 100 years before the existence of the United States Government. You are christian, thanksgiving was celebrated and founded by Christians, it was not just celebrated by and limited to Puritans, it is a Christian Holiday. And when the Untied States recognized Thanksgiving it did so in the name of the Divine Benefactor, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Which very religious language because it is religious in nature. Invoking and establishing a holiday in the name of Jesus Christ makes that day a religious holiday. Acceptance of your argument would be a denial of history and common sense.

===================

"…for solemn thanksgiving and praise. That with one heart and one voice the good people may express the grateful feelings of their hearts, and consecrate themselves to the service of their Divine Benefactor;… and their humble and earnest supplication that it may please God, through the merits of Jesus Christ, mercifully to forgive and blot them (their manifold sins) out of remembrance… That it may please Him… to take schools and seminaries of education, so necessary for cultivating the principles of true liberty, virtue and piety under His nurturing hand, and to prosper the means of religion for the promotion and enlargement of that kingdom which consisteth of 'righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost'…"

-National Thanksgiving Proclamation of the Continental Congress, November 1, 1777

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='27 November 2009 - 12:43 AM' timestamp='1259300592' post='2010112']
Don't forget the Jews! Turkey is kosher. I have no idea if it is halal. Hassan? Catholics are such food mavericks that we could eat a platypus and have no moral qualms whatsoever.

But I do know that it is wholly in accordance with the Lord's will to eat the turkey and stuffing that God, in His wisdom, provided for us.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Depends on how it was killed.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1259299915' post='2010097']
[/quote]

That is irrelevant regarding its historic origins, which are indisputably protestant. If some vague principles of being thanful for that which one's creator has provided then it could also be a Jewish or Islamic holiday.

[quote name='Hassan' date='27 November 2009 - 01:52 AM' timestamp='1259301140' post='2010124']
Depends on how it was killed.
[/quote]

With strychnine.

~Sternhauser

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='27 November 2009 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1259301253' post='2010128']
That is irrelevant regarding its historic origins, which are indisputably protestant. If some vague principles of being thanful for that which one's creator has provided then it could also be a Jewish or Islamic holiday.
[/quote]

Jesus Christ is limited to Christianity. Thanksgiving, was thanks to Jesus Christ.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1259301006' post='2010120']You are christian, thanksgiving was celebrated and founded by Christians, it was not just celebrated by and limited to Puritans, it is a Christian Holiday. And when the Untied States recognized Thanksgiving it did so in the name of the Divine Benefactor, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Which very religious language because it is religious in nature. Invoking and establishing a holiday in the name of Jesus Christ makes that day a religious holiday. Acceptance of your argument would be a denial of history and common sense.[/quote]
I do not celebrate holidays just because they are celebrated and founded by Christians. The Puritans may have been Christians, but that does not mean I would celebrate Thanksgiving because they founded and celebrated it.

Let's suppose, for the sake of discussion, that Thanksgiving is a "Christian Holiday." Okay. But I do not celebrate it as a "Christian Holiday," because as I said, I do not celebrate holidays just because they are established by Christians. I celebrate religious holidays from my own religion. Puritanism may be a Christian religion, but Puritanism is not my religion, even though I am Christian. I celebrate Thanksgiving because I am an American, not because I am a Christian. I celebrate Christmas because I am a Christian, not because I am an American.