An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Thanksgiving A Religious Holiday, Nowadays

add

Is Thanksgiving a religious holiday, anymore?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='apparently' date='26 November 2009 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1259243368' post='2009665']
Thanksgiving was, is and always will be religious holiday :grouphug:
Thank God
[/quote]
For me, the beauty of Thanksgiving is that is a non-denominational religious holiday. It really does not matter in which God, or even gods, one believes, what matters is that one is thankful for the good things in life and acknowledge from whence they come. A truly great American invention!

I don't consider Thanksgiving a religious holiday. It didn't really originate with a religion, though it did originate with religious people. It is a secular holiday, though God is part of it (because he is the one ultimately being thanked).

I don't associate "religious" with Abraham Lincoln, who instituted it as a "national" holiday. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is not pleased with human sacrifice. His war resulted in the unnecessary deaths of over 600,000 people. He did not fight to free the slaves, as Tom Dilorenzo and Thomas Woods point out: he spoke in favor of protecting the "right" of the South to own slaves even in his first inaugural address. He fought to save his taxes. "What, then, would become of my tariff?" as he said of secession, an act authorized by the Constitution in Amendments IX and X, and an act spoken of approvingly by Thomas Jefferson, multiple times. And be sure to read it carefully: the Emancipation Proclamation did not free a single slave: it only applied to Southern states not already under Union dominion.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Era Might' date='26 November 2009 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1259244811' post='2009676']
I don't consider Thanksgiving a religious holiday. It didn't really originate with a religion, though it did originate with religious people. ...
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='Era Might' date='26 November 2009 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1259244811' post='2009676']
I don't consider Thanksgiving a religious holiday. It didn't really originate with a religion, though it did originate with religious people. It is a secular holiday, though God is part of it (because he is the one ultimately being thanked).
[/quote]

who are you thankful too then, in this secular world? :annoyed:

[quote name='apparently' date='26 November 2009 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1259281774' post='2009912']
who are you thankful too then, in this secular world? :annoyed:
[/quote]
I'm thankful to a number of people in the secular world. I'm particularly thankful to the garbage man, since the world would be a little more unpleasant without garbage men. :P

When I say that Thanksgiving is not a "religious holiday," I don't mean that God cannot be part of the holiday. I just mean that it's not a holiday that originated in a religion. Christmas and Easter, for example, were Christian feast days before they became secular holidays. Thanksgiving was never a religious holy day in the way that Christmas and Easter were.

[quote name='Era Might' date='26 November 2009 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1259282918' post='2009926']
I'm thankful to a number of people in the secular world. I'm particularly thankful to the garbage man, since the world would be a little more unpleasant without garbage men. :P
[/quote]

Hear, hear! A toast to garbage men!

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Era Might' date='26 November 2009 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1259282918' post='2009926']

When I say that Thanksgiving is not a "religious holiday," I don't mean that God cannot be part of the holiday. I just mean that it's not a holiday that originated in a religion. Christmas and Easter, for example, were Christian feast days before they became secular holidays. Thanksgiving was never a religious holy day in the way that Christmas and Easter were.
[/quote]

it did originated in R E L I G I O N

- General Thanksgiving - By the PRESIDENT (George Washington) of the United States Of America
A PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favour; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States a DAY OF PUBLIC THANKSGIVING and PRAYER, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

PS: I'm thankful for , not to garbageman

Edited by apparently

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Era Might' date='27 November 2009 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1259244811' post='2009676']
[/quote]

:bigthink::scratchhead::idontknow:

KnightofChrist

Thanksgiving is a religious holiday where the people of God give thanks to Him for the harvest. Or at least it was before food was just something you could pick up down the street.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='26 November 2009 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1259256824' post='2009737']
[size="5"]I don't associate "religious" with Abraham Lincoln,[/size] who instituted it as a "national" holiday. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is not pleased with human sacrifice. His war resulted in the unnecessary deaths of over 600,000 people. He did not fight to free the slaves, as Tom Dilorenzo and Thomas Woods point out: he spoke in favor of protecting the "right" of the South to own slaves even in his first inaugural address. He fought to save his taxes. "What, then, would become of my tariff?" as he said of secession, an act authorized by the Constitution in Amendments IX and X, and an act spoken of approvingly by Thomas Jefferson, multiple times. And be sure to read it carefully: the Emancipation Proclamation did not free a single slave: it only applied to Southern states not already under Union dominion.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

This little snippet from Lincoln's thanksgiving proclamation says it all.

[size="6"][color="#002200"]Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation
[/color][/size][size="4"][color="#663300"][quote]observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.[/quote]
[/color][/size][size="4"][color="#663300"] [/color][/size]