An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Word About Logical Conclusion

Winchester

From another thread.
[quote name='Antignosis' date='25 November 2009 - 08:42 AM' timestamp='1259156550' post='2009175']
Further, if we assume that the soul enters at the moment of conception, is it not immoral to have sex when conception cannot take place, since obviously the reason for sex is conception, and, contrariwise, must married couples engage in sex whenever conception is likely to take place, so that no potential fetus is prevented from existing? I know this seems to verge on the absurd, but it is the logical extension of claiming that every joining of egg and sperm is already a complete human being with legal rights equivalent to those of an adult.
[/quote]
There are so many things wrong with this that it's kind of embarassing to this person. Apart from making a muddle of the Catholic teachings on sexuality, it is not a logical conclusion that having sex without conceiving (which is what is really being asserted) is tantamount to preventing a fetus from existing.

The logical conclusion of conception (I will depart from the OP's periphrasis) is that we have a human life. If humans have rights, then the human at conception has rights unless we are tying rights to something in addition to humanity. The conclusion that we must only copulate at times when it's most likely to produce children is not a logical conclusion.

What we actually have is a strawman argument.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 November 2009 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1259165766' post='2009222']
Accidental strawman or a malicious one?
[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i so read that as a 'delicious' one. :drool:

[quote name='Lil Red' date='25 November 2009 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1259166813' post='2009235']
+J.M.J.+
i so read that as a 'delicious' one. :drool:
[/quote]
All straw men are delicious. :yes:

Productive Catholic

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 November 2009 - 09:41 AM' timestamp='1259167311' post='2009244']
All straw men are delicious. :yes:
[/quote]

That seems logical!