An Old School Catholic Message Board

Authority Of The Syllbus Of Errors

mortify

I had a chat with a fellow who denied the inerancy of Sacred Scripture. When I showed him that his opinion was condemned in the Syllabus of Errors by Pope Pius X he was unphased because he didn't consider it authoritiative. My understanding is if the Pope says to hold or deny a certain doctrine leads to an anathema, such a doctrine is dogmatic, am I mistaken? To what extent are Catholics bound to the Syllabus of Errors?

Thanks

Edited by mortify

goldenchild17

This is from New Advent so I'll keep looking for an actual document that talks more about it, but:

http://ww.newadvent.org/cathen/14368b.htm
"[b]Binding power[/b]

The binding power of the Syllabus of Pius IX is differently explained by Catholic theologians. All are of the opinion that many of the propositions are condemned if not in the Syllabus, then certainly in other final decisions of the infallible teaching authority of the Church, for instance in the Encyclical "Quanta Cura". There is no agreement, however, on the question whether each thesis condemned in the Syllabus is infallibly false, merely because it is condemned in the Syllabus. Many theologians are of the opinion that to the Syllabus as such an infallible teaching authority is to be ascribed, whether due to an ex-cathedra decision by the pope or to the subsequent acceptance by the Church. Others question this. So long as Rome has not decided the question, everyone is free to follow the opinion he chooses. Even should the condemnation of many propositions not possess that unchangeableness peculiar to infallible decisions, nevertheless the binding force of the condemnation in regard to all the propositions is beyond doubt. For the Syllabus, as appears from the official communication of Cardinal Antonelli, is a decision given by the pope speaking as universal teacher and judge to Catholics the world over. All Catholics, therefore, are bound to accept the Syllabus. Exteriorly they may neither in word nor in writing oppose its contents; they must also assent to it interiorly."

I read something which explained more clearly what the deal was with the syllabus. I'll look and see if I can find it and post it if I do.

Edited by goldenchild17

goldenchild17

http://ww.newadvent.org/cathen/14368b.htm

"The content of any one thesis of the Syllabus is to be determined according to the laws of scientific interpretation. First of all, one has to refer to the papal documents connected with each thesis. For, in accordance with the peculiar character of the Syllabus, the meaning of the thesis is determined by the meaning of the document it is drawn from"

goldenchild17

[quote name='mortify' date='23 November 2009 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1259008388' post='2008063']
Golden,

The Syllabus I'm referring to is the one by Pope Pius X, does that make a difference?
[/quote]

my mistake. Unless you're referring to something else, then scroll down that same page and it addresses the Pius X one which focuses on modernism

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14368b.htm
"[b]Binding power
[/b]
Many theses of the Syllabus of Pius X, as all Catholic theologians affirm, are heresies, i.e. infallibly false; for their contradictory is dogma, in many cases even fundamental dogma or an article of faith in the Catholic Church. With regard to the question, whether the Syllabus is in itself an infallible dogmatic decision, theologians hold opposite opinions. Some maintain that the Decree is infallible on account of its confirmation (4 July, 1907) or sanction (18 November, 1907) by the pope; others defend the opinion that the Decree remains nevertheless the doctrinal decision of a Roman Congregation, and is, viewed precisely as such, not absolutely immune from error. In this theological dispute, therefore, liberty of opinion, which has always been safeguarded by the Church in undecided questions, still remains to us. Yet all theologians agree that no Catholic is allowed to maintain any of the condemned theses. For in the decrees of a Roman Congregation we not only have the verdict of a scientific commission, which gives its decisions only after close investigation, but also the pronouncement of a legitimate religious authority competent to bind the whole Church in questions within its competence (cf. what has been said above regarding the Syllabus of Pius IX; under I. B.)."