An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Obama Bow To The Emperor Of Japan?

princessgianna

Should have Obama bowed to the Emperor of Japan  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='22 November 2009 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1258949082' post='2007735']
Clearly, who ever gave him instructions to bow did not understand American presidential protocol.
[/quote]
Can I see this so called "protocol?" You mention it so many times, it must be written somewhere.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='22 November 2009 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1258948886' post='2007732']
It's not about feeling superior, it is about not being subservient.

When Katherine Hepburn was doing a play in England, the Queen's assistant came and asked if the Queen could visit her in her dressing room. She said to tell Mrs. Mountbatten that she would be very pleased to have her come to call. The assistant was completely freaked out and said that the Queen is never referred to in that way. Ms. Hepburn then said that we had fought a war about titles and such. She was an old New England Yankee, and wasn't going to budge an inch. I understand they had a nice chat though. I wish I could have been in the room at the time.

[/quote]

Well that's completely stupid. How would you feel if some one addressed Pope Benedict as "Mr. Ratzinger" because they don't believe in sacramental ordination?

[quote]
The issue isn't about individuals, it is about symbols as old as the US. People fought and died for the right to no longer bend their knees to any monarch. Surely other countries have symbolic things just as important to them, that would seem quite strange or even insulting to Americans. When one takes on the title of President of the United States, he/she takes on the responsibilities and protocols of the rank. He disrespects everyone who has held that position every time he breaks long held accepted protocols.
[/quote]

So Barrack is being criticized because he ignored an archaic protocol dating back to revolutionary days that has little (if any) relevance to contemporary politics. Right. It's symbolic and I'm sure he was just trying to be polite and impress the Japanese. It wont result in your country adopting a monarchy and being placed under "servitude" so I'm sure the extreme patriots will get over it.

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' date='22 November 2009 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1258954077' post='2007803']
Well that's completely stupid. How would you feel if some one addressed Pope Benedict as "Mr. Ratzinger" because they don't believe in sacramental ordination?

[/quote]
One of my priests told a story about going to an ecumenical prayer breakfast, and the man seated next to him kept calling him Brother. He finally asked him why, and was promptly told that the bible says to call no man Father. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pope wasn't called that, maybe not in person, but perhaps in correspondence. I wonder what his driver's license says?

[quote name='CatherineM' date='22 November 2009 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1258948886' post='2007732']
It's not about feeling superior, it is about not being subservient.

When Katherine Hepburn was doing a play in England, the Queen's assistant came and asked if the Queen could visit her in her dressing room. She said to tell Mrs. Mountbatten that she would be very pleased to have her come to call. The assistant was completely freaked out and said that the Queen is never referred to in that way. Ms. Hepburn then said that we had fought a war about titles and such. She was an old New England Yankee, and wasn't going to budge an inch. I understand they had a nice chat though. I wish I could have been in the room at the time.

By the way, I have no issue with royalty. I will be pledging allegiance to HRH in about a year when I take Canadian Citizenship. The issue isn't about individuals, it is about symbols as old as the US. People fought and died for the right to no longer bend their knees to any monarch. Surely other countries have symbolic things just as important to them, that would seem quite strange or even insulting to Americans. When one takes on the title of President of the United States, he/she takes on the responsibilities and protocols of the rank. He disrespects everyone who has held that position every time he breaks long held accepted protocols.
[/quote]

uh-huh.

He bowed as a token instance of politeness. That emperor is in place because we needed to make a stable Japan essentially a military colony to check communist expansion in China and south-east Asia. Who cares. If anyone is so ignorant and blinded to the reality of the international scene that they somehow take this as us being subservient to Japan then their opinion probably isn't very important.

It's getting concerned because the Manchu adopted traditional Chinese dress. The symbolism didn't make the Han any less dominated, it just made their domination more bearable for them. Anyone who felt that the Manchu mad themselves subservient to the Han was just deluded.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='22 November 2009 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1258939297' post='2007615']
America takes patriotism to a whole new level that others in many countries couldn't even imagine. It's really quite disturbing actually.

"as long as he is President of the US, he should not be bowing, just as we never dip our flag at the Olympics."

Why?
[/quote]
Yes, as if a country formed a group to preserve its language. Weird.

Jingoism exists in other nations. It is chiefly manifest in rhetoric against America. Of all the powers in history capable of wide influence through military and political means, The US has been one of the least offensive. Those nations, like France, who despise the US are simply upset that their empire building failed.