An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Obama Bow To The Emperor Of Japan?

princessgianna

Should have Obama bowed to the Emperor of Japan  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

princessgianna

[url="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comments_blog/2009/11/obama-bows-to-japan-emperor-akihito.html"]My link[/url]

My problems with Obama bowing is 1) his bow was incorrect for two reasons 1)his hands should be at his side since he is a guy 2)since he is a leader of another nation at the very most his bow should be a [b]returned[/b] bow at a 45 degree angle-MOST. 90 degree bow was out of protocol. That was almost prostrate in Japanese terms. Have a little dignity Mr.Obama you are representing America.

President Obama,
Next time you go to bow-do your homework!
thanks-
PG~

The bow that Obama did was not at all fitting and the Emperor did NOT return the bow which meant that it was not proper to bow SINCE the emperor figured they are "equal" (both are leaders of nations). And it was obviously not according to agenda.

Chestertonian

I voted "no." We're Americans, we never bow down to a head-of-state.

Edited by Chestertonian

He can the minute he leaves office, but as long as he is President of the US, he should not be bowing, just as we never dip our flag at the Olympics.

Honestly who cares? I get that a lot of conservatives dislike the guy but surely there are better things to criticize than the way he bows (this reminds me of the Obabma golf thing). How petty. If it was an Australian Prime Minister the Emperor probably would have gotten a handshake and been offered a beer.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='22 November 2009 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1258937538' post='2007597']
Honestly who cares? I get that a lot of conservatives dislike the guy but surely there are better things to criticize than the way he bows (this reminds me of the Obabma golf thing). How petty. If it was an Australian Prime Minister the Emperor probably would have gotten a handshake and been offered a beer.
[/quote]
This is something non Americans can't understand, I think.

America takes patriotism to a whole new level that others in many countries couldn't even imagine. It's really quite disturbing actually.

"as long as he is President of the US, he should not be bowing, just as we never dip our flag at the Olympics."

Why?

Edited by OraProMe

KnightofChrist

As was explained in the other thread in Open Mic. It is against American policy and tradition to bow before Kings, Queens, and etc. It is a sign of servitude.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='OraProMe' date='22 November 2009 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1258940528' post='2007627']
Well that's the mentality I'm talking about. It's a sign of respect and America has no reason to think itself superior to Japan.
[/quote]

No it is not, its the type of mentality you twist and bend to fit in the prejudged template you've made. The policy of not bowing to Kings is there for a reason, being concerned over the matter, seeing that it was wrong is not over analyzing. 'Conservatives' are being trashed simply because they analyzed the issue.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='22 November 2009 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1258939297' post='2007615']
America takes patriotism to a whole new level that others in many countries couldn't even imagine. It's really quite disturbing actually.

"as long as he is President of the US, he should not be bowing, just as we never dip our flag at the Olympics."

Why?
[/quote]
FWIW, I never understood it either, and I'm American.

But I was raised by cats, so what do I know?

(As princessgianna pointed out, that [i]is[/i] a wacked-out badly done bow. Whole different issue, though.)

If he had followed American presidential protocol he wouldn't have performed a whacked out bow, because he wouldn't have bowed at all.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='22 November 2009 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1258940945' post='2007628']
No it is not, its the type of mentality you twist and bend to fit in the prejudged template you've made. [b]The policy of not bowing to Kings is there for a reason,[/b] being concerned over the matter, seeing that it was wrong is not over analyzing. 'Conservatives' are being trashed simply because they analyzed the issue.
[/quote]

What would that reason be?

[quote name='OraProMe' date='22 November 2009 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1258942653' post='2007640']
What would that reason be?
[/quote]
The American people rebelled against a royal system of government, and established a republic.