An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Paul Ii's Ecumenical Gathering At Assisi

OraProMe

I was wondering what people here thought/think of John Paul II's ecumenical gathering at Assisi in 1986*. Each religious group was given a separate room to carry out the particular rituals and prayers belonging to their faith. Good or bad? For those who don't know about the event: http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/Assisi/PeaceCapital.asp

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/20888jt.jpg[/IMG]

*Let's try not to dishonour his memory.

At best it was silly.

Though it really showed that the Pope is THE ecumenical patriarch and that the Catholic Church is above all religions.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='20 November 2009 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1258767589' post='2006617']
Bad
[/quote]

Come on, you can give more than that!
Do you think it constitutes a sin (desecration, spreading indifferentism etc.)?

[quote name='Theoketos' date='20 November 2009 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1258771861' post='2006644']
At best it was silly.

Though it really showed that the Pope is THE ecumenical patriarch and that the Catholic Church is above all religions.
[/quote]

How?

I think the Pope was well-intentioned in holding the gathering at Assisi, but much of what went on at that event involved theological indifferentism and so it was a mistake to sponsor the event.

The term ecumenism applies only to the baptized, who - by baptism - are made members of the household (oekumene) of God. Inter-faith dialogue is not a form of ecumenism.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='OraProMe' date='20 November 2009 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1258773076' post='2006650']
Come on, you can give more than that!
Do you think it constitutes a sin (desecration, spreading indifferentism etc.)?
[/quote]

Bad, because of the great scandal it caused within the faithful. Which continues up till today and will continue for many years to come.

It is one of the justified reasons against his Sainthood.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 November 2009 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1258773446' post='2006654']
I think the Pope was well-intentioned in holding the gathering at Assisi, but much of what went on at that event involved theological indifferentism and so it was a mistake to sponsor the event.

The term ecumenism applies only to the baptized, who - by baptism - are made members of the household (oekumene) of God. Inter-faith dialogue is not a form of ecumenism.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='20 November 2009 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1258773907' post='2006658']
Bad, because of the great scandal it caused within the faithful. Which continues up till today and will continue for many years to come.

It is one of the justified reasons against his Sainthood.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how old you are but were you alive/old enough to remember when this happened? Can you tell us a bit about the "great scandal it caused within the faithful"? :)

Pope John Paul II lived the gospel message at Assisi in 1986. He brought the true Jesus Christ to the world,
not just platitudes. He was Christ in action.

Those he upset by doing this, really don't know Christ for if they did, they would've loved John Paul the Great
for Christ was in him.

Jim

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='21 November 2009 - 09:30 AM' timestamp='1258817416' post='2006843']
Pope John Paul II lived the gospel message at Assisi in 1986. He brought the true Jesus Christ to the world,
not just platitudes. He was Christ in action.

Those he upset by doing this, really don't know Christ for if they did, they would've loved John Paul the Great
for Christ was in him.

Jim
[/quote]
That's a dangerously wide brush you're trying to paint with.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='OraProMe' date='20 November 2009 - 11:50 PM' timestamp='1258779046' post='2006695']
I'm not sure how old you are but were you alive/old enough to remember when this happened? Can you tell us a bit about the "great scandal it caused within the faithful"? :)
[/quote]

I would just state what Apo stated, which is why I agreed with his statement.

This part which took place, pretty much says it all, when it came to those who opposed the Pope in Assisi.

From the article in the OP;

[quote]
Not everyone, of course, welcomed the Pope's initiative, not even within the Catholic community. Some. Catholic, ultra-conservative extremists, who reject Vatican II along with its decrees and teachings, were giving out printed sheets, which denounced the Pope as "heretic and apostate" for going against the soundest traditions of the Catholic faith and fraternizing excessively with other religions. Their message was aptly depicted in two cartoons: one showing the Pope telling Jesus Christ that he was not welcome at the prayer meeting in Assisi, and the other showing Jesus Christ at the gate of heaven telling the Pope that he was not welcome there. At the bottom of the cartoon was "the other place" where a grinning Satan says the Pope was welcome there. Not many paid attention to these handouts, most of which were crumpled and thrown away, or else tucked away by souvenir hunters with a taste for oddities.
[/quote]

I remember the nonsense the SSPX members put out. One had a blurred pic which had to be explained where the alleged that the Pope had statue of Buddha on the altar while he said Mass.

Turns out it was a statue of the baby Jesus.

Like I said before, these people don't know Christ, because if they did, they would've recognized Jesus in Pope John Paul II.

Jim