An Old School Catholic Message Board

U.s. Bishops Complete Work On Translation Of Roman Missal

JimR-OCDS

Not sure where this belongs at this website, so I'll put it here, and those in charge can move it to the appropriate place, if need be.

BALTIMORE—The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) voted to approve the last five pieces of the English translation of the Roman Missal during the November 17 session of the annual Fall General Assembly. Bishop Arthur Serratelli of Paterson, NJ, Chairman of the USCCB Committee on Divine Worship, called the bishops’ completion of their years-long work on the Missal “historic.”

The bishops approved the Proper of Saints with 195 in favor, 23 opposed and 4 bishops abstaining. The bishops approved the Commons with 200 bishops in favor and 19 opposed. They approved the Roman Missal Supplement with 203 in favor, 15 opposed and 3 abstaining. They approved the U.S. Propers with 199 in favor, 20 opposed and 1 abstaining. They approved the U.S. Adaptation to the Roman Missal with 199 in favor, 17 opposed and 1 abstaining.

These items will now go to the Vatican for [i]recognitio[/i], or approval, which Bishop Serratelli said is expected sometime in 2010. Once the new translation is approved in its entirety, the materials for its implementation at the parish level will be ready in approximately a year.
[url="http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2009/09-243.shtml"]http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2009/09-243.shtml[/url]

Jim

Well, when it finally does come out, I hope they have a missal and they strongly urge people to buy one and use it at Mass.

Perhaps the parishes can use this as an opportunity to properly catechize people on the Mass.

However, my guess is that there's going to be a lot of confusion, as people will respond with old responses.

Jim

I remember my first few times attending a Byzantine Church, and how I felt lost while everyone else sang the responses to the priest, but after about two months I was singing the responses along with everyone else, and all without a missal.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='20 November 2009 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1258753382' post='2006424']
It will be years before I can recite the Mass in my head again. :P
[/quote]
I think that singing helps memorize things.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 November 2009 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1258753494' post='2006429']
I think that singing helps memorize things.
[/quote]
I wish I had reason to hope that these changes to the missal will result in more sung Masses. :sadwalk:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='20 November 2009 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1258753584' post='2006433']
I wish I had reason to hope that these changes to the missal will result in more sung Masses. :sadwalk:
[/quote]
The whole liturgy - according to tradition - is supposed to be sung. It is good to have hope.

I'm guessing most of you don't remember when we went from the TLM to the NO, back in the 60's.

First off, no one was use to singing, much less responding out loud. Masses took twice as long, as cantors would first help everyone learn the hymns before the Mass started.

The Mass was mimeographed(oops, you probably don't know what that is ether) for the missals were not ready for publication.

What a mess!

Jim

Edited by JimR-OCDS

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='20 November 2009 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1258753767' post='2006437']
I'm guessing most of you don't remember when we went from the TLM to the NO, back in the 60's.

First off, no one was use to singing, much less responding out loud. Masses took twice as long, as cantors would first help everyone learn the hymns before the Mass started.

The Mass was mimeographed(oops, you probably don't know what that is ether) for the missals were not ready for publication.

What a mess!

Jim
[/quote]
I did not mention the older form of the Roman Rite. The Byzantine Church never developed what Westerners call the "low Mass."

I am thankful that I was not a Catholic when the liturgical changes took place in the 1960s and 70s.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 November 2009 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1258753672' post='2006435']
The whole liturgy - according to tradition - is supposed to be sung. It is good to have hope.
[/quote]

No no don't say that!

Our Saturday 4:30 Mass is attended by people with leather vocal chords and are hard of hearing, and thats just the mandated hymns.

I pray that if anyone is thinking of checking out the Catholic Church, they try another Mass.

Jim

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 November 2009 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1258753672' post='2006435']
[/quote]
Well I have 'hope' hope, just not a realistic belief that it's going to change anytime soon. I do agree that it should be sung though, at least as often as is possible.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 November 2009 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1258753946' post='2006440']
I did not mention the older form of the Roman Rite. The Byzantine Church never developed what Westerners call the "low Mass."

I am thankful that I was not a Catholic when the liturgical changes took place in the 1960s and 70s.
[/quote]

I made my Confirmation in the middle of it all.

Jim