An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deserving Of Death Penalty?

Anomaly

HIGHLAND PARK, Mich.— A 37-year-old father irate over hearing his 15-year-old son had sexual contact with a 3-year-old girl made the teen strip at gunpoint, marched him to a vacant lot and shot him to death despite pleas from the boy and his mother, a relative said.

Michigan authorities filed a first-degree murder charge Wednesday against Jamar Pinkney Sr. in the shooting death Monday of Jamar Pinkney Jr. in the Detroit enclave of Highland Park.

Defense attorney Corbett O'Meara said prosecutors should consider evidence of the father's state of mind over the sex abuse report.

"If something were to happen that would cause a reasonable person to lose control of himself, that is something the prosecution would have to take into account," O'Meara said outside Highland Park District Court.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.— On an Internet site, 15-year-old Alyssa Bustamante listed her hobbies as "killing people" and "cutting." It may have sounded like a teenage exaggeration, but authorities say she fulfilled her words.

Even as new details emerge about the teenager charged with killing 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten, many facts about the crime continued to be kept secret Thursday _ and may never be released by authorities unless Bustamante goes to trial for murder.

Bustamante, who had been in juvenile custody since leading police to Elizabeth's body Oct. 23, was certified Wednesday as an adult and indicted on charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal action. She is accused of strangling Elizabeth, cutting her throat and stabbing her.

deserving of the death penalty? yes. by using their life to cause the end of others' lives, they have forfeited their own life and no longer have the right to it. it would be an act of mercy to let them live with life in prison, and the Church calls us to act mercifully.

Well, only from the accounts of the articles you posted, it seems that neither of the killers are a risk to society, nor to the guards and other people they'll have contact with while in prison.

So, life in prison is the only moral option.

The only justification for the death penalty, is to protect society and others from those who are dangerous.

Jim

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='20 November 2009 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1258730947' post='2006206']
Well, only from the accounts of the articles you posted, it seems that neither of the killers are a risk to society[/quote]
Yeah, most 3 and 9 year olds carry guns to defend themselves. These two were anomalies.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Winchester' date='20 November 2009 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1258730957' post='2006208']
Deserve? I don't know, but dangerous enough to warrant it, quite possibly. Don't have enough information.
[/quote]
I agree.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='20 November 2009 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1258733685' post='2006222']
I agree.
[/quote]
You are perceptive and handsome.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Winchester' date='20 November 2009 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1258733733' post='2006223']
You are perceptive and handsome.
[/quote]
You noticed, too?

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='20 November 2009 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1258734069' post='2006225']
You noticed, too?
[/quote]
One would be more likely to ovelook the noontime Sun, my friend.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='20 November 2009 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1258740741' post='2006263']
I don't think I have the strength to do another death penalty debate.
[/quote]
Steering clear of that aspect of it, if you had to defend the first man in court who executed his son, how would you do it, and what do you think your chances would be of being successful?

Both people killed somebody that was not threatening them with pre-meditation. Is there a moral difference between the acts of the father and the teen age girl?

[quote name='Anomaly' date='20 November 2009 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1258746157' post='2006326']
Both people killed somebody that was not threatening them with pre-meditation. Is there a moral difference between the acts of the father and the teen age girl?
[/quote]
I suppose you could argue extreme circumstances for the father. Temporary insanity or something?

Although I'd be willing to bet that he's got a history of abuse, in which case he's in a lot more trouble.