An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women Serving During Mass

qfnol31

Do you think women should serve, EMs, Alter Servers, Lectors, etc?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now let me say that I too love and respect all women. I am a woman so, well, there ya go! I am a firm no on girls serving at the altar. Seeing as this was not done prior to the last 50 years, it is not church tradition and should not be occurring. I do believe it is a ministry that should be retained for boys to familiarize them with the beauty of the Priest hood and I think that God graces them in that service.

I do not have a problem with women giving the readings. The power of scripture comes through just as strongly through them as through the men. Ideal would be only Priests, Deacons and Altar boys up by the altar. I have seen women wear things that are so inappropriate when they go up to read that I am just shocked and it completely detracts from the readings.

I do not condone Eucharistic ministers at all and will not receive from them. The church can say it is okay but, I will not receive the Body of Christ from anyone other than the ordained. I have twice, but only because they snuck in front of me so fast, I could not have gotten away without causing a scene.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Deb' post='1573253' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:20 PM']I do not condone Eucharistic ministers at all and will not receive from them. The church can say it is okay but, I will not receive the Body of Christ from anyone other than the ordained. I have twice, but only because they snuck in front of me so fast, I could not have gotten away without causing a scene.[/quote]

I totally agree with you on this! The Church says only in extraordinary circumstances, and that is not at all what we are seeing when at Mass, there are more laity up at the altar with the priest than there are in the pews. It's absolutely NOT necessary! The priest really need to do their own job. There shouldn't be any reason for this abuse!

I realize that they do it in my church because of the time factor. We have about 1200 families and lots and lots of young people. We have one Priest. Now, I wouldn't mind being on my knees for an hour while communion is given out but, it is really hard for people with their kids. Not that I even can comment on that because we sat still and shut up in church from the first day we had awareness. My parents were really strict about that. But, we also had more than one priest giving out communion. It went pretty fast when I was a kid.
So, unless each church can get a several priests and deacons or people agree that two hours in church is okay, (my dream) it isn't going to happen.

dominicansoul

In my parish on any given weekday Mass. There is about 20 people. Yet, our pastor sits down and people give out Holy Communion. I don't get it.

I guess this is a thread hijack...

Sorry...

But maybe this type of thing ties into the breaking of long held traditions in our Church...and what can happen when we feel the need for change in what we've always done in the past...

I served the altar once, 30+ years ago, when girls didn't. None of the guys showed up, and I was the sacrastin, so I got drafted. I didn't like it at all. I felt so out of place. Now, I'm not so sure I care, except that it does rob a boy of the opportunity to serve the altar and maybe explore the idea of a vocation. If there isn't a boy willing to serve, though, what's the option?

As to Eucharistic Ministers, I have been one, but haven't in 17 years now. I don't like receiving from them, but do. What has really bothered me the last two weeks is that we have a retired priest who just moved into our rectory, in fact, he was apparently a pastor there a couple of decades ago. During the mass he sits in the pews. I can understand him being retired, and not wanting to co-celebrate, but if there is a priest in the pew, there shouldn't be an extraordinary minister used in his place. He's not feeble, and he receives communion, so it's not like he's serving some kind of penance. I just haven't wanted to ask for fear I'd hate (don't hate, appreciate) the answer.

I voted "other" because "no" was not an option.

Women are not allowed to serve at the altar, or within the sacred precincts of the Church building in the Byzantine tradition.

Edited by Apotheoun

TeresaBenedicta

I didn't vote because my views differ on each role.

Altar-serving. No way, man. The Church has not seen the need for women serving at the altar in the past, there's no reason for it now. I happen to think that having boys and young men serving really does help in vocation. My parish went to boys only about five years ago. When it was female/male, the ratio was 4:1 girl to guy. There were very few boys serving. Now? We have over 50 young boys serving. Which is a huge number, considering we are a relatively small parish!

Reading/Lector. Ehh. I'd like to see only installed lectors doing it. Or if we had enough deacons or priests so that a lay person wasn't needed. But, as it is, lay people are needed. It should be a rather equal ration men to women. I hate (don't hate, appreciate) seeing something turn into a purely "woman" ministry, just because women want to get involved somehow. That's the wrong reason for anyone to serve.

Sacristan. I have no qualms about women serving as sacristans. It would be ideal if we had enough priests or deacons that this job could be done by the ordained... as it is, we don't. Our priests are over-worked already. As long as the sacristan, male or female, is doing their job behind the scenes (not parading around for the entire congregation to see), it doesn't make a difference male or female.

Exraordinary Minister. I have problems with EMHC's in general. I think they're way over-used. And I am torn, but really leaning towards "only the ordained should touch the Body of Christ". I generally only receive from a priest or deacon, but that's mostly because I find EMHC's are usually uncomfortable giving Holy Communion on the tongue.

Honestly... the Mass is not the place to "get involved". That Mass is the Mass and it is the most Sacred event. You want to be involved with "church stuff" (male or female)? Volunteer as a catechist, visit the sick, organize parish dinners or barbeques. Volunteer to clean or decorate the Church. There's so much to be involved with. It doesn't need to be, nor should it be during the Mass.

Wow, with how strong some of these recent replies are, I was suprised to see that [b]women[/b] were making them! Considering the average individual would view such a thing as discrimination towards women by "evil church men".

I agree with many of the views expressed as of late, especially in regards to the over usage of Extraordinary ministers. Our small parish only uses two of them (for the Blood of Christ), while our pastor distributes the Sacred hosts with two lines formed side-by-side (so he goes back and forth). When we have a visiting priest (or the associate pastor) present, both give out Communion.

Sometimes I think we have almost as many EME's as we do people at mass. It's like a cattle call right before the Lamb of God.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1573497' date='Jun 17 2008, 12:51 AM']Wow, with how strong some of these recent replies are, I was suprised to see that [b]women[/b] were making them! Considering the average individual would view such a thing as discrimination towards women by "evil church men".[/quote]

Funny how that works, eh? I think that the movement back in the 70s and 80s is pretty much shrugged off by most women these days. We're not offended by the fact that men and women are different. And I'm finding that the generation that is all high and mighty about not discriminating think that we're crazy. But, I don't know what to say... I'm not offended that I can't be a priest nor do I think I'm discriminated against when girls aren't altar servers.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1573525' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:05 AM']Sometimes I think we have almost as many EME's as we do people at mass. It's like a cattle call right before the Lamb of God.[/quote]

This I do not like! At my parish, the Pastor has the bells rung after he has received to let the EMEs know that it is time to come forward.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Deb' post='1573253' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:20 AM']Now let me say that I too love and respect all women. I am a woman so, well, there ya go! I am a firm no on girls serving at the altar. Seeing as this was not done prior to the last 50 years, it is not church tradition and should not be occurring. I do believe it is a ministry that should be retained for boys to familiarize them with the beauty of the Priest hood and I think that God graces them in that service.

I do not have a problem with women giving the readings. The power of scripture comes through just as strongly through them as through the men. Ideal would be only Priests, Deacons and Altar boys up by the altar. I have seen women wear things that are so inappropriate when they go up to read that I am just shocked and it completely detracts from the readings.[/quote]
Very much agree

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1573497' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:51 AM']I agree with many of the views expressed as of late, especially in regards to the over usage of Extraordinary ministers. Our small parish only uses two of them (for the Blood of Christ), while our pastor distributes the Sacred hosts with two lines formed side-by-side (so he goes back and forth). When we have a visiting priest (or the associate pastor) present, both give out Communion.[/quote]
Yes, I think EMHCs are very much overused. I was one before my son was born, but I'm not sure I'd go back to doing it. We have 5, and we really only need 1, maybe 2, for the chalice (as it is, they use 4 for the chalice & 1 to help the priest distribute the Host. It's like a mad rush, because as soon as they do the Agnus Dei, and I've barely begun to kneel, it's time to go up. :(

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1573497' date='Jun 16 2008, 11:51 PM']Wow, with how strong some of these recent replies are, I was suprised to see that [b]women[/b] were making them! Considering the average individual would view such a thing as discrimination towards women by "evil church men".[/quote]

I am 52 years old. Between the ages of 16 and 51, I would have fought for the right for women to be altar servers or even Priests. I grew up in a strict Catholic family and grew to hate (don't hate, appreciate) all authority. I did not have God in my life in those years. Now that I have been given an incredible gift of faith, I see things from the view of Christ and the Church instead of my own selfishness. Society of today is shaped by those who do not know God. When one surrenders completely to God, you realize that what is around you is not the true reality.
I believe that women who are truly living the Word and have complete faith are able to realize what is discrimination and what is not. Go figure. The people who have know me all my life see I have something that makes me very happy, but also think I have gone insane.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1573672' date='Jun 17 2008, 07:26 AM']This I do not like! At my parish, the Pastor has the bells rung after he has received to let the EMEs know that it is time to come forward.[/quote]

This is done at my parish as well, but I thought the bell was to signify that the Sacrifice is now complete? Regardless of meaning, I can't stand it when the EMHC go up during the Lamb of God and even worse is when they go [i]into[/i] the sanctuary, behind the altar.