An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women Serving During Mass

qfnol31

Do you think women should serve, EMs, Alter Servers, Lectors, etc?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

popestpiusx

The Council of Trent declared
"The fact that only the priest gives Holy Communion with his consecrated hands is an Apostolic Tradition."

popestpiusx

Even Pope John Paul II:

To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained. (Dominicae Cenae, 11)

"It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice, still less that they should hand them from one to another." (Inaestimabile Donum, April 17, 1980, sec. 9)

My church has up to 26 Extraordinary Ministers for about 12-1800 people at Mass. I like my school which only has 2-3 for daily Mass (about 50-200 people).

I think that Extraordinary Ministry can be a way for discernment, but I hate when it's used more than is necessary...Especially since they're not ordained...

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Apr 7 2004, 10:34 AM'] As far as Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist are concerned I am opposed to them regardless of sex. Laymen do not have consecrated hands. They have no right to touch the Consecrated Host. So this is not a matter of male or female. I must add though that there certainly are legitimate exceptions to this, but not what is the common practice today.

Because out of reverence towards this sacrament, nothing touches it, but what is consecrated; hence the corporal and the chalice are consecrated, and likewise the priest's hands, for touching this sacrament." - ST. THOMAS AQUINAS, Summa Theologica [/quote]
I agree wholeheartedly. Of the three parishes I have frequented most often, all had more EM than they needed for any regular Mass. Our current parish does not even serve the Precious Blood and there are 4 EMs just to distribute the hosts. I'd say that 2 at most are needed - but the fact that we have 9 deacons that could do just as well makes me think there is no need for them at all.

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Apr 7 2004, 09:37 AM'] Even Pope John Paul II:

"It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice, still less that they should hand them from one to another." (Inaestimabile Donum, April 17, 1980, sec. 9) [/quote]
Does that mean no more communion in the hand????

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Apr 7 2004, 11:37 AM'] Even Pope John Paul II:

To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained. (Dominicae Cenae, 11)

"It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice, still less that they should hand them from one to another." (Inaestimabile Donum, April 17, 1980, sec. 9) [/quote]
The second quote is referring to self-communicating.

The Mass is a discipline, it is not set in stone, and never will be.

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Apr 7 2004, 09:20 AM'] 2)There were plenty of boys at the altar before girls were allowed to do it. The lack of boys now is a symptom of the decision to allow girls rather than girls being allowed because there were not eough boys.

[/quote]
Actually I do remember in the late 80s/early 90s when there were no altar boys for mass the priest asked "Are there any altar boys here?". When nobody responded, he then asked "Altar girls?".

Spiritual_Arsonist

Women as servers? Absolutely not. I have expereinced this firsthand and see it time and time again. Altar Serving does help foster vocations to the Priesthood. If women cannot be priests, then they should not serve. Lectors and EME's? Sure. Only when done by the rules.

popestpiusx

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Apr 7 2004, 12:48 PM'] Does that mean no more communion in the hand???? [/quote]
Yes!

popestpiusx

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Apr 7 2004, 12:49 PM'] The second quote is referring to self-communicating.

The Mass is a discipline, it is not set in stone, and never will be. [/quote]
There seems to be a contradiction in saying that it is forbidden for the laity to self-communicate and to hand the Blessed Sacrament from one to another BUT it's ok for the laity to act as Eucharistic Ministers and distribute communion. EM's are laity. Therefore what takes place is precisely the laity handing the Blessed Sacrament from one (the EM) to another (the recipient).

Please dear ladies of the phatmass thread take no offese. The only reason I thought guys should alter serve was becuase it gives you such a fuller intense thrill to become a priest. plus this sounds weird but I'm going to say it any way it may be to much of a temptation. I don't mean it to be sick or anything those are just some thoughts that go around in my head when I think about it.
-IG-

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Apr 7 2004, 05:21 PM'] There seems to be a contradiction in saying that it is forbidden for the laity to self-communicate and to hand the Blessed Sacrament from one to another BUT it's ok for the laity to act as Eucharistic Ministers and distribute communion. EM's are laity. Therefore what takes place is precisely the laity handing the Blessed Sacrament from one (the EM) to another (the recipient). [/quote]
Except EEMs ARE allowed, and regular laity are not. :)