An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women Serving During Mass

qfnol31

Do you think women should serve, EMs, Alter Servers, Lectors, etc?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='25 April 2010 - 03:25 AM' timestamp='1272162308' post='2099499']
Why is "No" not an option? :unsure:
[/quote]
I was wondering that as well. I therefore put "Other".

[quote name='Michele' date='16 May 2010 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1273970782' post='2111240']

[url="http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/papal_masses_dominated_by_male.html"]Papal masses dominated by males[/url]

this is referring to the time when the Holy Father visited the U.S.
I'm referring to the Fatima mass in Portugal. women cannot become priests, but obviously they can be altar servers. [/quote]
I'm not sure about your intention with the article on the US visit. I will say, though, that there appear to be quite a few misconceptions in that article (starting with the headline, in my opinion). For example, the author stated that it's arguable that Jesus only chose male apostles, but I fail to see how that is arguable. :unsure: Nor are women allowed to be acolytes, as far as I know. At least, not in the true sense, since I think acolytes are a minor order and are actually instituted. Kinda like lectors, I think. I'm no expert, though.

[quote name='Michele' date='16 May 2010 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1273970782' post='2111240']

"The Church gives thanks for all the manifestations of the feminine "genius" which have appeared in the course of history, in the midst of all peoples and nations; she gives thanks for all the charisms which the Holy Spirit distributes to women in the history of the People of God, for all the victories which she owes to their faith, hope and charity: she gives thanks for all the fruits of feminine holiness"
~ MULIERIS DIGNITATEM 31

I found an encouraging audience by the Holy Father addressed to boy and girl altar severs (with emphasis that some of them - the boys no doubt - might be called to be priests).
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2006/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20060802_en.html
[/quote]
A good quote, though I don't think it necessarily means that women are to serve on the altar.

Thank you for posting the audience. I'll have to think about that more.

• 1 month later...

hmm... unsure how to respond to this thread...
Altar Serving:
I was an altar server from the 3-8 grades, then an MC until I went off to college. In my parish there are hardly enough servers even with both sexes serving through high school, so I do not personally see a problem with it if enough boys are unavailable. I know I got a lot out of serving mass, and enjoyed it very much. I know the local bishops approved of female servers because I served at a number of masses with them. I was very surprised by the vast majority of posts being anti-female server as I have never heard anyone express that sentiment before! That being said, I understand why boys should get asked first as potential future priests. In light of all these posts I don't know whether to feel guilty or indignant! Either way, I plead ignorance! :rolleyes:

Eucharistic ministers: I am slightly confused by some of the postings. People who do not receive from euch mins: are you also against receiving communion in the hands? That is the only way this makes sense to me. On another note:

Receiving the Blood of Christ: I do not recall any instance where my home parish distributed the Blood of Christ to anyone except the euch. mins. and the priests; therefore, I had never received it until college when I went to a new parish! It was somewhat embarrassing because I had to ask a pew-mate what the procedure was!!

Edited by sixpence

goldenchild17

[quote]PLEASE DO NOT BE MEAN TO WOMEN! I LOVE THEM![/quote]

lol I love it :smokey:.

oh, and I agree with princessGianna.

That's all I'm gonn say about this 6 yr old thread.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='07 April 2004 - 04:17 AM' timestamp='1081325850' post='156900']
PLEASE DO NOT BE MEAN TO WOMEN! I LOVE THEM! (Actually, I should be very nice because I may marry one one day, and my mommy's a woman!!) :D ;)

I've heard that many places and a few dioceses do not care for women serving during Mass.

I personally think they should have the men serve on them and shouldn't have to be reduced to serving themselves. ^_^ Like my mom, she does enough for me as it is that for her to have to serve anymore would kill me. :(

LoL, while I believe all of that I've just said, I also believe that helping out in Mass is a great thing. I'm curious to see what your dioceses have said and things.
[/quote]
It is vile and wicked

[quote name='notardillacid' date='15 July 2010 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1279177366' post='2142884']
It is vile and wicked
[/quote]
I agree with notardillacid. :D