An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Freedom

add

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 November 2009 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1258342271' post='2003515']
you do realize that was only added in 1954, and was NOT in the original constitution?
[/quote]
You do realize that some states (the American equivalent of a province ;) ) have had official religions?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='17 November 2009 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1258508589' post='2004606']
yes, thats correct, thanks.

further proves that the phrase isnt significant in this discussion.
[/quote]
Further proves that you are in fact a Canadien (look I went out of my way to capitalize it)

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='notardillacid' date='18 November 2009 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1258566304' post='2004870']
You do realize that some states (the American equivalent of a province ;) ) have had official religions?
[/quote]
Before the Constitution, maybe.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='18 November 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1258566075' post='2004868']
Yes, private Churches where attendance is optional. We have freedom of religion or lack thereof in this country. Get over it.
[/quote]

get over what

[quote name='notardillacid' date='18 November 2009 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1258566304' post='2004870']

Further proves that you are in fact a Canadien (look I went out of my way to capitalize it)
[/quote]

yup, states are the smaller equivalent of provinces. even BC is larger than Texas.

but, but, you spelt it wrong!!

little_miss_late

I guess there is no real debate happening here, just people yelling over each other's heads?

Apparently:

Do you think there is no case where in the interest of preserving religious freedom, the state (which is not affiliated with any particular religious group) is correct to limit some people's public religious expressions?

I think the happy holidays stuff is a lot of ado about nothing, personally. There are meaningful debates to be had about religious expression and religious freedom, but I can't take the "They took Christmas out of the big box" thing seriously. It doesn't mean anything. If all the big department stores put up Merry Christmas signs, would my non-Catholic friends stop making off color priest jokes and asking why the Vatican doesn't sell all of their art? Would there be no more hungry and homeless sleeping in my public library? And more importantly-- these stores are trying to SELL YOU STUFF. They don't care about souls. Why is it so important to you that they give lip service to your holy days?

My perspective on this is that of a former waitress and customer service employee in an area that is NOT predominantly Christian. To my regular customers, if I knew what they celebrated, I would say something personal to them. To everyone else I said "Happy Holidays" or something similar and I never had a Jew snarl back at me "That's HAPPY CHANUKAH!" but I had some people rip me a new one for not saying Merry Christmas. Whereas if they had just cheerfully said, Merry Christmas I would have been happy to wish them a Merry Christmas in return.

Edited by little_miss_late

[quote name='little_miss_late' date='18 November 2009 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1258598797' post='2005314']
I guess there is no real debate happening here, just people yelling over each other's heads?
[color="#0000ff"][b]okay[/b][/color]
Apparently:

Do you think there is no case where in the interest of preserving religious freedom, the state (which is not affiliated with any particular religious group) is correct to limit some people's public religious expressions?
[color="#0000ff"][b]no[/b][/color]

I think the happy holidays stuff is a lot of ado about nothing, personally. [color="#0000ff"][b](your loss)[/b][/color] There are meaningful debates to be had about religious expression and religious freedom, but I can't take the "They took Christmas out of the big box" thing seriously. It doesn't mean anything. If all the big department stores put up Merry Christmas signs, would my non-Catholic friends stop making off color priest jokes and asking why the Vatican doesn't sell all of their art? Would there be no more hungry and homeless sleeping in my public library? And more importantly-- these stores are trying to SELL YOU STUFF. They don't care about souls. Why is it so important to you that they give lip service to your holy days?
[color="#0000ff"][b]exactly[/b][/color]
My perspective on this is that of a former waitress and customer service employee in an area that is NOT predominantly Christian. To my regular customers, if I knew what they celebrated, I would say something personal to them. To everyone else I said "Happy Holidays" or something similar and I never had a Jew snarl back at me "That's HAPPY CHANUKAH!" but I had some people rip me a new one for not saying Merry Christmas. Whereas if they had just cheerfully said, Merry Christmas I would have been happy to wish them a Merry Christmas in return.
[color="#0000ff"][b]i would not wish a stranger merry Christmas either[/b][/color]
[/quote]

:shock:

[quote name='apparently' date='18 November 2009 - 06:53 AM' timestamp='1258541585' post='2004744']
... The US is not a Godless society ...
[/quote]

Nor is it a theocracy.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='18 November 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1258566075' post='2004868']
Yes, private Churches where attendance is optional. We have freedom of religion or lack thereof in this country. Get over it.
[/quote]

Are you saying that freedom of religion [b]doesn't[/b] mean you are only free to practice the faith-expression of the majority? :shock:

Edited by Lounge Daddy

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='18 November 2009 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1258605351' post='2005451']
Are you saying that freedom of religion [b]doesn't[/b] mean you are only free to practice the faith-expression of the majority? :shock:
[/quote]
I found it shocking, too. Apparently it also means you don't have to follow the "trend" of atheism, either.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='18 November 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1258568303' post='2004883']
Before the Constitution, maybe.
[/quote]
:lol:

wrong

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='notardillacid' date='18 November 2009 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1258606114' post='2005457']
:lol:

wrong
[/quote]
I'll be the first to profess my lack of knowledge in this area, so please enlighten me and cite some things for me.