An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Better To Be In Hell Or To Never Have Existed?

LivingStone

HisChildForever

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='15 November 2009 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1258340492' post='2003487']
I agree, as well. If I wanted to know what the "Fathers" had to say, I'd look it up. [b]How about some genuine thought on the matter?[/b]
[/quote]

Fire bad.
Non-existence nothing.
Me pick nothing.

That pretty much sums it up.

goldenchild17

Fire hot. Non-existence not.

:mellow:

Really this is all immaterial anyways as its not like we actually have any choice in the matter. But animal souls floating around in space for all eternity and hell being some sort of salvation and such is more than I can handle.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1258340797' post='2003495']
Fire bad.
Non-existence nothing.
Me pick nothing.

[/quote]

Exactly! I don't see how non-existence can be worse than anything else because non-existence is nothingness. It's not a matter of A being worse than B, it's B having no A to compare to.

HisChildForever

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='15 November 2009 - 10:08 PM' timestamp='1258340882' post='2003497']
Fire hot. Non-existence not.

:mellow:

Really this is all immaterial anyways as its not like we actually have any choice in the matter. But animal souls floating around in space for all eternity and hell being some sort of salvation and such is more than I can handle.
[/quote]

Oh my, I think I missed the animal souls floating bit...

goldenchild17

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1258341322' post='2003505']
Oh my, I think I missed the animal souls floating bit...
[/quote]

Something about everything having eternal existence, even animals. I'm sure I misunderstand this too, but if animals exist then they can't get to heaven or hell thus where do they go besides float around in the cosmos? I was watching ghost hunters the other night and they were looking for the ghost of a dead cat :mellow:

Also to add to my list of problems with this thread, I have to see hell as a real place and not just a state of being.

But anyways, yeah I said I was dropping out if this thread, so probably should do that. :) peace ya'll

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1258339834' post='2003481']
I completely agree. The references to Eastern theology are intelligent but borderline robotic.
[/quote]
No more robotic than simply repeating over and over the gnostic idea that non-existence is better than hell.

Edited by Apotheoun

The patristic teaching on this issue is not that difficult. Existence is good, while nothing (no thing) is simply nothing. Nothing is not the good.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1258340797' post='2003495']
Fire bad.
Non-existence nothing.
Me pick nothing.

[/quote]
The fire is God Himself, so it certainly is not "bad" (see [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=100446&view=findpost&p=2002561"]post no. 11[/url])

Edited by Apotheoun

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1258342248' post='2003514']
No more robotic than simply repeating over and over the gnostic idea that non-existence is better than hell.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you're implying that I'm a heretic? If that's the case, I would prefer being called one outright.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1258342654' post='2003525']
I'm not sure if you're implying that I'm a heretic? If that's the case, I would prefer being called one outright.
[/quote]
No not you personally, just your comment is heretical; for to choose nothing over being is to choose evil.

Edited by Apotheoun

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1258342770' post='2003526']
No not you personally, just your comment is heretical; for to choose nothing over being is to choose evil.
[/quote]

It's not that simple. I'm choosing nothing over being damned to Hell.

HisChildForever

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='15 November 2009 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1258342936' post='2003529']
Preferring non-existence to existence would be a grave insult to God the cause of our existence.
[/quote]

Being in Hell is a grave insult to God because it's the ultimate rejection.

Satan, as far as his existence is concerned, is good, and so to annihilate him would be evil. To say that it would be better if God had not created Satan is to say that God made a mistake, which is impossible. Satan's existence is all a part of God's plan, as is the rest of created existence. What we make of our existence is left in the power of our own free will.