An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Better To Be In Hell Or To Never Have Existed?

LivingStone

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1258333369' post='2003424']
I guess it won't ever register with some people, but hell - according to the Fathers - is a form of salvation. [b]God will not destroy, nor will He allow another to destroy, His creation.[/b]
[/quote]

You know that's not the issue of this debate, so why do you keep bringing it up?

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1258333781' post='2003428']
You know that's not the issue of this debate, so why do you keep bringing it up?
[/quote]
Yes, it is the issue of the debate.

Hell is (1) better than not having existed at all, or - for those who already exist - (2) being allowed to fall into non-existence.

Thus, it is better to exist in hell than never to have existed at all.

Edited by Apotheoun

KnightofChrist

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1258333781' post='2003428']
[/quote]

If the debate is truly about "Is It Better To Be In Hell Or To Never Have Existed?" Then his point has everything to do with this debate.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1258333899' post='2003429']
Yes, it is the issue of the debate.

[b]Hell is better than never having existed at all,[/b] or - for those who already exist - being allowed to fall into non-existence.

Thus, it is better to exist in hell than never to have existed at all.
[/quote]

I thought the debate is just focused on the first part.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1258333781' post='2003428']
[/quote]
One of the things that you are not recognizing in this question is the notion that God could make a mistake. We do not choose to come into being, God makes that choice, and He is never wrong in His actions.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1258334012' post='2003431']
I thought the debate is just focused on the first part.
[/quote]
I have simply expanded the debate by answering the original question (and by doing so several times); while adding the point that once God gives existence to a being He will not allow it to be destroyed, and - of course - associated with this latter point is the fact that God does not make mistakes and so if something exists it does so because He desired it as a good that would help to bring about the fullness ([i]pleroma[/i]) of created reality.

The section of the post on predestination (point no. 9) linked below, which I wrote a few years ago, should be helpful:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=34879&view=findpost&p=652378"][u]East and West[/u][/url]

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1258334927' post='2003438']
Too bad we can't ask the souls in Hell this question.
[/quote]
:)

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1258335172' post='2003443']
There's nothing smiley about that! <_<
[/quote]
If they are in hell it is unlikely they would tell you the truth. I mean come on . . . read what St. Maximos said in the quotation I provided.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1258335986' post='2003445']
If they are in hell it is unlikely they would tell you the truth. I mean come on . . . read what St. Maximos said in the quotation I provided.
[/quote]

I think "get me out of here!" would be a truthful declaration...

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1258336239' post='2003448']
I think "get me out of here!" would be a truthful declaration...
[/quote]
Except hell is not a "here"; instead, it is simply God's presence as it is subjectively perceived by those who failed to live virtuously.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1258333286' post='2003423']
He was using hyperbole. Like when He said a person should cut of his hand if it makes him sin, etc.
[/quote]

No no no. The thing about cutting of the hand is clearly supposed to convey a meaning: how much we should hate and avoid sin. The thing about Judas cannot be likened to that.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='15 November 2009 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1258336695' post='2003451']
No no no. The thing about cutting of the hand is clearly supposed to convey a meaning: how much we should hate and avoid sin. The thing about Judas cannot be likened to that.
[/quote]
Both statements convey meaning, but that does not change their hyperbolic character.