An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Better To Be In Hell Or To Never Have Existed?

LivingStone

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1258327954' post='2003373']
I would rather non-creation (or non-existence) than suffering an eternity in Hell.
[/quote]
I guess we will have to agree to disagree, because hell is salvation from non-existence, as St. John Chrysostom said.

:)

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1258328092' post='2003375']
I guess we will have to agree to disagree, because hell is salvation from non-existence, as St. John Chrysostom said.

:)
[/quote]

What would you prefer?

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1258328233' post='2003376']
What would you prefer?
[/quote]
Hell, because existence is good by its very nature.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 06:37 PM' timestamp='1258328278' post='2003378']
Hell, because existence is good by its very nature.
[/quote]

I think it's easy to say that now, but if you were actually in Hell it'd be a different story.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1258330243' post='2003388']
I think it's easy to say that now, but if you were actually in Hell it'd be a different story.
[/quote]
In the final analysis my liking it or not is irrelevant. God does not create junk, and so He will not allow anything that He has created to fall into non-being. Existence in hell is a form of salvation, which only became possible with the incarnation of the eternal Logos.

All things are restored in Christ, for as St. Maximos the Confessor said in his treatise entitled, [i]Quaestiones ad Thalassium[/i] (PG 90:796BC):

"The Church knows three [i]apokatastaseis[/i]. One is the [[i]apokatastasis[/i]] of everything according to the principle ([i]logos[/i]) of virtue; in this [i]apokatastasis[/i] one is restored who fulfills the principle of virtue in himself. The second is that of the whole [human nature] in the Resurrection. This is the [i]apokatastasis[/i] to incorruption and immortality. The third, in the oft-cited words of Gregory of Nyssa, is the [i]apokatastasis[/i] of the powers of the soul which, having lapsed into sin, are again restored to that condition in which they were created. For it is necessary that just as the entire nature of the flesh hopes in time to be taken up again into incorruption in the [i]apokatastasis[/i], so also the powers of the soul, having become distorted during the course of the ages had instilled in it a memory of evil, so that at the end of ages, not finding any rest, will come to God Who has no limit. And thus the distorted powers of the soul will be taken up into the primeval [i]apokatastasis[/i], into a merely discursive knowledge of, but not into the participation in, the good things [of God], where the Creator is known yet without being the cause of [their] sin."

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1258331185' post='2003398']
In the final analysis my liking it or not is irrelevant. God does not create junk, and so He will not allow anything that He has created to fall into non-being. Existence in hell is a form of salvation, which only became possible with the incarnation of the eternal Logos.
[/quote]

But the thread's question isn't asking if you would rather fall into non-being, it's asking about non-creation (never existing in the first place). Two entirely different things.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1258332712' post='2003410']
But the thread's question isn't asking if you would rather fall into non-being, it's asking about non-creation (never existing in the first place). Two entirely different things.
[/quote]
I know, and my answer remains the same. To say that non-being would in any sense be preferable to being is ultimately to embrace Gnosticism and Manichaeism. Existing in hell is a grace, while non-existence is nothing.

Edited by Apotheoun

So when Jesus said that it would have been better if Judas was never born he just forgot to say 'just kidding fellows he's having a grand time in hell'

HisChildForever

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 November 2009 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1258332810' post='2003411']
To say that non-being would in any sense be preferable to being is ultimately to embrace Gnosticism and Manichaeism.
[/quote]

I would rather be nothing than suffer the eternal torments of Hell. Not only because of the brutal pain, but because if I'm in Hell, that means I've rejected God. Therefore I would rather be nothing than be someone who rejected God.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='notardillacid' date='15 November 2009 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1258332926' post='2003414']
So when Jesus said that it would have been better if Judas was never born he just forgot to say 'just kidding fellows he's having a grand time in hell'
[/quote]

Unborn children don't go to hell. Judas likely did go to hell.

HisChildForever

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='15 November 2009 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1258333118' post='2003417']
Unborn children don't go to hell. Judas likely did go to hell.
[/quote]

That wasn't his point at all.

[quote name='notardillacid' date='15 November 2009 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1258332926' post='2003414']
[/quote]
He was using hyperbole. Like when He said a person should cut of his hand if it makes him sin, etc.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 November 2009 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1258333049' post='2003416']
I would rather be nothing than suffer the eternal torments of Hell. Not only because of the brutal pain, but because if I'm in Hell, that means I've rejected God. Therefore I would rather be nothing than be someone who rejected God.
[/quote]
I guess it won't ever register with some people, but hell - according to the Fathers - is a form of salvation. God will not destroy, nor will He allow another to destroy, His creation.

Hell is the salvation of those who failed to live the good during the wayfaring state, but who by grace in eternity shall know the good discursively (See St. Maximos above). Evil will be consumed in the fires of God's love, which will purify everything, so that God may be all in all.

Edited by Apotheoun