An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Killing Of Another

JimR-OCDS

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='11 November 2009 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1257977118' post='2000874']
That is ridiculous. Of course someone being raped may (and should) kill the person raping her.
[/quote]

Read it under the context of the subtitle,

6. [i]Provided due care is used in the application of this principle[/i]:

The statement has to do with using means beyond defending oneself.

In other words, a woman who is about to be raped, picks up a lamp and hits the
rapist on the head, sending him to the ground. She then goes to flee than turns back and finishes caving the guy's scull in and kills him.

Although some of us may applaud the woman's actions, morally it is unacceptable. She can flee and go to the authorities from there.

Jim

One may take the fight out of the man. Anything beyond that in any circumstance is morally illicit. Starting off with deadly force is just fine, but no coup-de-grace.

[quote name='nunsense' date='11 November 2009 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1257976577' post='2000867']
"He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

I just can't get past the fact that Our Lord (who could have called legions of angels), did not even allow Peter to injure the guard - He healed his ear. I have heard the argument that Our Lord "had" to die, but to me, He is the example of how to live.

If saints like Maria Goretti can convert (and save the soul) of their attackers through love and forgiveness, then so can we, even if it means dying first. I know, I know, I have heard all the arguments about justified violence and killing, but I just don't buy any of them. Life belongs to God, and so does the right to take it. Just the way I see things....
[/quote]
We are not Jesus Christ, and not everyone is called to martyrdom of blood.

If a man were to willfully allow an attacker to rape, torture and murder his wife and children, rather than commit "violence" to defend them, would we consider that man a saint or a coward (or worse)?

Quite frankly, I'm a bit sickened by all the "pious" excuses I'm seeing on here for opposing the right to bear arms.