An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interesting Arguement

Varg

[quote name='Raphael' date='11 November 2009 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1257972981' post='2000834']
What I don't understand is how someone can reject acting lovingly.
[/quote]
Lovingly...You mean like telling everyone who doesn't have exactly the same viewpoint as you that they're going to suffer forever after they die?

Servus_Mariae

[quote name='Varg' date='11 November 2009 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1257976149' post='2000865']
Lovingly...You mean like telling everyone who doesn't have exactly the same viewpoint as you that they're going to suffer forever after they die?
[/quote]

Lame. And you know it.

[quote name='Varg' date='11 November 2009 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1257976750' post='2000869']
I just don't see how threatening people with eternal pain and torment simply for believing something different is either loving of accepting.
[/quote]

You do not know Love.

[quote name='Varg' date='11 November 2009 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1257977517' post='2000883']
What's the phrase I'm looking for? Oh yeah. Self-[s]richeousness[/s] [b]righteousness[/b].
[/quote]
You're welcome. ^_^

[quote name='Varg' date='11 November 2009 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1257977771' post='2000889']
Nihil, correcting a typo does not make you clever. :P
[/quote]
Just helpful. :))

[quote name='Varg' date='11 November 2009 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1257977517' post='2000883']
What's the phrase I'm looking for? Oh yeah. Self-richeousness.
[/quote]

Is it self-righteousness to restate your own views? You do not believe in God. For Christians, God is Love. vis a vis: You do not know Love. You know your own subjective definition of the word love which you presume to juxtapose erroneously upon our belief system. You have no right to do this and your attempts at an objective refutation of our belief is subjective baselessness.

[quote name='Varg' date='11 November 2009 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1257976750' post='2000869']
I just don't see how threatening people with eternal pain and torment simply for believing something different is either loving of accepting.
[/quote]

Eternal pain and torment is the destination of those who reject Love, not merely someone who happens to "believe something different."

And who ever said anything about accepting? Jesus said I know mine and mine know me. Jn10:14

[quote name='Veridicus' date='11 November 2009 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1257977816' post='2000891']
Is it self-righteousness to restate your own views?
[/quote]If those views are self-righteous then yes.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='11 November 2009 - 04:50 AM' timestamp='1257933056' post='2000588']
Christ is directly quoted in the gospels.
[/quote]

On homosexuality? No.

Many of the doctrines that developed in the early Church would have been completely alien to Christ. The first example I can think of is the Pauline doctrine of Original Sin ("The transgression of Adam"). In Judaism (which Christ was a member of) the genesis story represents the universal inclination for man to do evil, not some inherited sin passed on from one generation to the next.

Very few teachings of the Church have a basis in the actual teachings of Christ recorded in the New Testament.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='11 November 2009 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1257978011' post='2000897']
On homosexuality? No.

Many of the doctrines that developed in the early Church would have been completely alien to Christ. The first example I can think of is the Pauline doctrine of Original Sin ("The transgression of Adam"). In Judaism (which Christ was a member of) the genesis story represents the universal inclination for man to do evil, not some inherited sin passed on from one generation to the next.

Very few teachings of the Church have a basis in the actual teachings of Christ recorded in the New Testament.
[/quote]
If we've been over Original Sin once we've been over it a thousand times. Clearly you're not listening to our many and varied explanations.