An Old School Catholic Message Board

All Dogs Go To Heaven?

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='08 November 2009 - 06:26 AM' timestamp='1257679619' post='1998157']
so you agree dogs go to heaven.

yes?

that is what youhave been trying to say this whole time?
[/quote]

well, from the CCC:

284 Jason's dog doesn't go to heaven.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 November 2009 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1257692609' post='1998191']
well, from the CCC:

284 Jason's dog doesn't go to heaven.
[/quote]
You're just saying that bc my dog is jewish....

L'chaim

Servus_Mariae

Hmm...does animals being in heaven imply that animals go to heaven? How do we know the animals in heave are the souls of animals from earth?

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='08 November 2009 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1257696063' post='1998205']
You're just saying that bc my dog is jewish....

L'chaim
[/quote]

Poor little guy. Most dogs love bacon.

[quote name='T-Bone _' date='08 November 2009 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1257707000' post='1998273']
Poor little guy. Most dogs love bacon.
[/quote]

If he's anything like his owner, I'm sure he's forgotten all about that thing called "Tradition". Maybe he should watch the Fiddler on the Roof?

On Topic:

Servus, we know that the souls of animals die when their bodies die. Like man, the rest of creation is fallen and is subject to death. Christ died for the redemption of the cosmos, but not for individual animals. These animals (and plants, for that matter) are dead forever, and cannot share in Christ's baptism to new life. They were not created in His Image and Likeness; salvation is not something they can achieve.

As I said before, we don't know if animals are in heaven. We only know that [i]if[/i] there are animals in heaven (and I think there's a good chance there are), they [i]are not [/i]the individuals that lived and died on this earth.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='09 November 2009 - 07:28 AM' timestamp='1257712127' post='1998304']
If he's anything like his owner, I'm sure he's forgotten all about that thing called "Tradition". Maybe he should watch the Fiddler on the Roof?

On Topic:

Servus, we know that the souls of animals die when their bodies die. Like man, the rest of creation is fallen and is subject to death. Christ died for the redemption of the cosmos, but not for individual animals. These animals (and plants, for that matter) are dead forever, and cannot share in Christ's baptism to new life. They were not created in His Image and Likeness; salvation is not something they can achieve.

As I said before, we don't know if animals are in heaven. We only know that [i]if[/i] there are animals in heaven (and I think there's a good chance there are), they [i]are not [/i]the individuals that lived and died on this earth.
[/quote]
How do you know this? I always imagined that the life in a flower is a miracle. God created the flower and the Holy Spirit gave it life. When the life leaves the flower it returns to the Father from which all things were made. This does not mean that the flower will appear in heaven, but the life that was in it will collectively exist forever.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='08 November 2009 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1257716869' post='1998379']
How do you know this? I always imagined that the life in a flower is a miracle. God created the flower and the Holy Spirit gave it life. When the life leaves the flower it returns to the Father from which all things were made. This does not mean that the flower will appear in heaven, but the life that was in it will collectively exist forever.
[/quote]

I don't think I quite understand what you are saying. "collectively"?

Mendelberg wasn't moved to start adhering to orthodox judaism by the song "Tradition"?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='09 November 2009 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1257747429' post='1998695']
I don't think I quite understand what you are saying. "collectively"?

[/quote]

The life force of all living things becomes ONE with God. Sleeping in Christ if you like. We (humans) get our individually back after our resurrection???? This theory of course could be quite wrong it's just from my own imagination.
I would still like to know how you can say that my cats which were intelligent, self aware and full of love have ceased to exist. What is the source of your conclusion?

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='08 November 2009 - 02:48 AM' timestamp='1257608915' post='1997721']
do only catholic dogs?
[/quote]
Only if they have bitten a Jehovah witness at the front gate.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

• 1 month later...
Mark of the Cross

Then I heard [i]every creature in heaven[/i] and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing:

Can somebody quote a scripture or teaching that says that animals have only corporeal souls and do not go to heaven? I'm curious. [img]http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/taz.gif[/img][img]http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/cat_jumps.gif[/img][img]http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/rudolf.gif[/img]

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='18 December 2009 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1261193981' post='2022949']
Then I heard [i]every creature in heaven[/i] and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing:

Can somebody quote a scripture or teaching that says that animals have only corporeal souls and do not go to heaven? I'm curious. [img]http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/taz.gif[/img][img]http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/cat_jumps.gif[/img][img]http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/rudolf.gif[/img]
[/quote]
I can't do that, but we both know that there are a variety of passages that indicate the uniqueness and special place in Creation that Man has been given.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='19 December 2009 - 02:41 PM' timestamp='1261194071' post='2022951']
I can't do that, but we both know that there are a variety of passages that indicate the uniqueness and special place in Creation that Man has been given.
[/quote]

I know, but when I asked one of our new Catholics, she replied "It's your paradise, if you want your pets you will probably have them." Pretty wise for a newby, I thought. I guess what it means is that it wouldn't be paradise to us if something we loved and missed wasn't there. Could be wrong of course since we don't know what paradise is like except that it is different from anything we imagined on earth. :)

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='18 December 2009 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1261194606' post='2022958']
I know, but when I asked one of our new Catholics, she replied "It's your paradise, if you want your pets you will probably have them." Pretty wise for a newby, I thought. I guess what it means is that it wouldn't be paradise to us if something we loved and missed wasn't there. Could be wrong of course since we don't know what paradise is like except that it is different from anything we imagined on earth. :)
[/quote]
Sure, maybe we can imagine some kind of pets..... although personally I think that's too limiting on what heaven is like.
Even if we grant that there may be 'pets' in heaven though, it doesn't follow that the 'pets' in heaven have the same souls as pets on earth, right?

C. S. Lewis wrote:
Nor am I greatly moved by jocular inquiries such as 'Where will you put all the mosquitoes?'--
a question to be answered on its own level by pointing out that, if the worst came to the worst, a heaven for
mosquitoes and a hell for men could very conveniently be combined.
The Problem of Pain
chapter 9 'Animal Pain'

[img]http://www.books-about-california.com/Images/Paul_Bunyan/Mosquito_Bee.gif[/img]