An Old School Catholic Message Board

Varg

pat22

you asking him how an almighty being that he doesn't even believe in didn't get here (????). come on, this should be the other way around.

Servus_Mariae

[quote name='pat22' date='07 November 2009 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1257654575' post='1998029']
you asking him how an almighty being that he doesn't even believe in didn't get here (????). come on, this should be the other way around.
[/quote]

You have missed my point. I am trying to bring him back to the original question (mine anyway): Without a theory for the cause of the existence of the world how does he confidently subscribe to the notion that it is not God? Why does this particular hypothesis demand rejection? He responded by asking me how "God got here"; I gave Him a response to this as I understand it. He may disagree, that's fine. I wanted to follow up however by asking him how he knows with certainty that God doesn't exist.

I don't think he does certainly know that, despite what he claims.

let me get this strait, your response to the question " how did god get here?", is " god is a different reality"?

[quote name='pat22' date='07 November 2009 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1257656399' post='1998044']

let me get this strait, your response to the question " how did god get here?", is " god is a different reality"?
[/quote]
No, he said God IS reality.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 November 2009 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1257656999' post='1998052']
[/quote]

"I am who am"

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 November 2009 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1257656999' post='1998052']
[/quote]
you're killing me.

[quote name='pat22' date='07 November 2009 - 11:16 PM' timestamp='1257657416' post='1998060']
you're killing me.
[/quote]
:idontknow:

Servus_Mariae

[quote name='pat22' date='07 November 2009 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1257656399' post='1998044']

[/quote]

I agree. I just want him to say that (provided that its true).

Speaking to the latter portion: No...God is not a different reality, rather he is reality itself, more appropriately He Being itself. Aquinas said that God's "esse" (to be/ or the act of being) and his "ens" (the state of being)are one and the same. All which exists is subsistent to His existence.

The point of all of this is that God was not created nor does He need creating. All arguments suggesting that something preceded God do so under the presupposition that this "higher than the higher being" exists. However, contextually speaking if God is existence itself then this being which caused Him would have to subsist in God's Being. Essentially, you can't take a step that goes before God because He is Being itself...anything before Him would presume to be existent. But as I have expressed that would not follow...because God is being itself and this "higher thing" would have to subsist in this "being" (or it wouldn't "be")

Just for clarification...This is under the presumption that God exists of course. I am seeking to answer that question of His not needing to "come from" anywhere.

[quote name='Servus_Mariae' date='07 November 2009 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1257655653' post='1998039']
You have missed my point. I am trying to bring him back to the original question (mine anyway): Without a theory for the cause of the existence of the world how does he confidently subscribe to the notion that it is not God? Why does this particular hypothesis demand rejection? He responded by asking me how "God got here"; I gave Him a response to this as I understand it. He may disagree, that's fine. I wanted to follow up however by asking him how he knows with certainty that God doesn't exist.
[/quote]
I don't reject the idea of a god. I reject religion.

[quote name='Varg' date='08 November 2009 - 04:47 AM' timestamp='1257673659' post='1998146']
[/quote]
you should like, put that on the "about me" page. might help avoid confusion with others

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Varg' date='08 November 2009 - 05:47 AM' timestamp='1257673659' post='1998146']
[/quote]
So if you don't believe in religion, how do you learn about God?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='08 November 2009 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1257720049' post='1998426']
So if you don't believe in religion, how do you learn about God?
[/quote]I was Christian for almost ten years. Good enough?

[quote name='Varg' date='07 November 2009 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1257602712' post='1997696']
And if you're wondering where my name comes from, see Varg Vikernes (I only realised he was a neo-Nazi after I named my account after him, just so you know.
[/quote]
Typically, one would perhaps research and learn about that before naming their account.