An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brookstone Fires Employee For Belief In Traditional Marriage

Brother Adam

The fact that they also contribute to Planned Parenthood (according to the Planned Parenthood website) doesn't help my feelings toward them.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1257524781' post='1997123']
So?

We're only getting one side of the story, and from people with bias.

Jim
[/quote]

It is one thing to suggest that perhaps the source is biased. It is quite another to say "[b][i]It wouldn't surprise me if this fellow was getting into this woman's face[/i][/b], because of her sexual orientation." ... [emphasis mine] as if you have good reason to believe that this man would do that. You don't have good reason to believe that, in fact, because a number of people hear know him personally and have testified to his character that he would not do that, you have good reason to believe the opposite. You are maligning this man's character with out just cause.

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='Raphael' date='06 November 2009 - 03:11 PM' timestamp='1257534709' post='1997235']
The same line of logic would stand against the right of workers to strike, but the Church upholds that, too.
[/quote]

The right of workers to strike, is for their benefit against unjust wages or conditions.

The Church also teaches that workers have an obligation to be fair in what they demand from their employer.

It wouldn't be fair for employees to go on strike against their employer, because they're not getting free trips to Disney World every year.

Jim

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 November 2009 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1257535129' post='1997241']
How is someone innocent by supporting an immoral organization with their labour?
[/quote]

The point is whether you actually know that the organization is immoral or not.

In the current case, we only have one side of the story, so lacking all of the facts, we actually don't know.

Jim

[quote name='StColette' date='06 November 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1257535293' post='1997246']
The fact that they also contribute to Planned Parenthood (according to the Planned Parenthood website) doesn't help my feelings toward them.
[/quote]

Thats a seperate issue than the one presented in this thread.

If you want to go that route, starte another thread on the issue of boycotting businesses who support planned parenthood.

Jim

[quote name='zunshynn' date='06 November 2009 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1257535537' post='1997251']
It is one thing to suggest that perhaps the source is biased. It is quite another to say "[b][i]It wouldn't surprise me if this fellow was getting into this woman's face[/i][/b], because of her sexual orientation." ... [emphasis mine] as if you have good reason to believe that this man would do that. You don't have good reason to believe that, in fact, because a number of people hear know him personally and have testified to his character that he would not do that, you have good reason to believe the opposite. You are maligning this man's character with out just cause.
[/quote]

I stated it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case, not because I suspect it is, but rather, its a more common than not occurance, based on my experience, as I also stated.

Jim

Edited by JimR-OCDS

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1257535709' post='1997254']
The point is whether you actually know that the organization is immoral or not.

In the current case, we only have one side of the story, so lacking all of the facts, we actually don't know.

Jim
[/quote]
Well then that's not what we were talking about, is it? We were talking about my right to boycott an organization, which I decisively have. In our previous discussion, the model assumes that the organization has been found to be immoral.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1257535812' post='1997255']
Thats a seperate issue than the one presented in this thread.

If you want to go that route, starte another thread on the issue of boycotting businesses who support planned parenthood.

Jim
[/quote]

Nihil was speaking of boycotting as do many of the others in this thread. The fact that they support planned parenthood is merely another reason not to contribute to their company by buying from them on top of the fact that the fired someone for uphold belief in traditional marriage (though you seem to be questioning the motives of the person who was fired).

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 November 2009 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1257536111' post='1997261']
Well then that's not what we were talking about, is it? We were talking about my right to boycott an organization, which I decisively have. In our previous discussion, the model assumes that the organization has been found to be immoral.
[/quote]

I didn't know there was an assumption the organization was immoral. I stated totally from the
context of the story in this thread.

I don't know if the organization is immoral or not.

Jim

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1257536479' post='1997269']
I didn't know there was an assumption the organization was immoral. I stated totally from the
context of the story in this thread.

I don't know if the organization is immoral or not.

Jim
[/quote]
Thanks for completely missing my point.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1257535892' post='1997258']
I stated it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case, not because I suspect it is, but rather, its a more common than not occurance, based on my experience, as I also stated.

Jim
[/quote]

And yet, you only mention one side of the coin. It's ALSO becoming a common occurrence that those who preach 'tolerance' only mean 'tolerance of everything with the exception of traditional Christian values'. I can't tell you how many times I've come across those who are persecuted in our own country simply for wearing a crucifix, when no word has been spoken by the Christian.

As an aside, I'm wondering, and I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful, but I don't know you or your humor/personality... are you arguing with those who know this man for the sake of argument, or do you really believe what you post?

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1257535892' post='1997258']

Jim
[/quote]

Yes, but even after members here attested to his good character and have said he would not react in such a way, you dismissed what they said and called them biased.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='06 November 2009 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1257524645' post='1997121']
People here have testified he is an FUS grad,and he is vouched for by fellow phatmassers, so your remark is uncalled for.
[/quote]

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 11:26 AM' timestamp='1257524781' post='1997123']
So?
We're only getting one side of the story, and from people with bias.
[/quote]

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1257533786' post='1997224']
A boycott hurts business. If it hurts the business it can also hurt the people who work there, who have nothing to do with this issue.

Jim
[/quote]

So it's immoral to not support a business? That's dumb. I probably shouldnt joke, but are your shopping lists developed on a rotating schedule of brands and stores to shop from?

Edited by Sirklawd

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 02:26 PM' timestamp='1257535588' post='1997253']
The right of workers to strike, is for their benefit against unjust wages or conditions.

The Church also teaches that workers have an obligation to be fair in what they demand from their employer.

It wouldn't be fair for employees to go on strike against their employer, because they're not getting free trips to Disney World every year.

Jim
[/quote]
Your Disney World analogy is, well, not analogous.

My point was that the need of a business to stay open is not absolute. Doing something that causes economic harm to a business with the intention of disciplining the business for a moral injustice, whether it is low wages or discrimination (as this case is), is a legitimate and Church-approved method. No one is demanding anything unreasonable like free trips to Disney World. We are simply demanding that the business change its discriminatory policies and offer a public apology.

[quote name='Sirklawd' date='06 November 2009 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1257537512' post='1997279']
So it's immoral to not support a business? That's dumb. I probably shouldnt joke, but are your shopping lists developed on a rotating schedule of brands and stores to shop from?
[/quote]

If this is the motivation for boycotting a business, group or person, is based on wrong information, yes it can be immoral. You have to judge for yourself, why you're taking such an
action.

Jim