An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brookstone Fires Employee For Belief In Traditional Marriage

Brother Adam

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 11:00 AM' timestamp='1257523242' post='1997097']
Well, we only got one side of the story, "his," and so we really don't know if he did in fact harrass the woman or not?

Being a Catholic, I have been harassed by fundamentalist and JW's at work. It wouldn't surprise
me if this fellow was getting into this woman's face, because of her sexual orientation. However,
being we have only one side of the story, we really don't know.

Jim
[/quote]

Speaking from personal interactions with the person who was fired, I can vouch for the fact that he would be the last person to get up in anyone's face and harass them. He's actually not even Catholic, but attending Franciscan University of Steubenville like many other non-Catholics do. He's also the last person I would expect to lie about something like this either. Peter is probably one of the most polite people I've ever met as well. Knowing his character, he's not one to jump into a person's face and start harassing them.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1257523242' post='1997097']
Well, we only got one side of the story, "his," and so we really don't know if he did in fact harrass the woman or not?

Being a Catholic, I have been harassed by fundamentalist and JW's at work. It wouldn't surprise
me if this fellow was getting into this woman's face, because of her sexual orientation. However,
being we have only one side of the story, we really don't know.

Jim
[/quote]
People here have testified he is an FUS grad,and he is vouched for by fellow phatmassers, so your remark is uncalled for.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='06 November 2009 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1257524645' post='1997121']
People here have testified he is an FUS grad,and he is vouched for by fellow phatmassers, so your remark is uncalled for.
[/quote]

So?

We're only getting one side of the story, and from people with bias.

Jim

Everyone has a bias, that does not make them untrustworthy. We have every reason to assume this young man is trustworthy, and he has been vouched for by trustworthy people. It seems reason is not on your side friend.

This incident about this man's firing is disgusting. I'm ashamed of Brookstone.

Then I read about others' poor experiences with them as employees, ie: Moosey, and I'm doubly disgusted. I used to LOVE shopping there! I can tell you that I will make the best statement I know how: with my wallet.

Shame on you, Brookstone, no cookies for you anymore.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 11:26 AM' timestamp='1257524781' post='1997123']
So?

We're only getting one side of the story, and from people with bias.

Jim
[/quote]

It is not bias to speak of one's person interactions with a particular person or information about their character. Bias means to lack the ability to be impartial or objective. If Peter were someone who was a jerk and had a history of harassing people, I'd admit that he's had issue with harassing people. If I didn't make it known that he had a habit of harassing people and spoke of him the way I did previously, then I'd be a liar. But that's not the case. Peter's character has always been one of kindness and truthfulness, not one of hate and harassment. In the court system there are such things as character witnesses, who testify to a person's morality and/or honesty. If that type of testimony can hold up in court as substantial evidence towards a person's character and work toward their innocence or toward winning their case, I don't see how you can call fellow friends and students of Peter's that they're being bias. Being biased means you lack the ability to be completely honest about a situation, ideology, or person. So are you saying those of us that have attested to Peter's honesty and good nature are being dishonest and are thus liars? I don't take kindly to being accused of being dishonest (which is what having a bias essentially means)

Thy Geekdom Come

Peter is also an extremely peaceful person and always strikes me as being shy about speaking up. I very highly doubt that he said anything out of turn.

I would hope that a person would have more respect for those who know the individual in question. We know him well enough to be character witnesses in court, so I don't think we should be disbelieved, but given the benefit of the doubt.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 November 2009 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1257524386' post='1997116']
In a free market, a single negative experience is more than enough reason to boycott a retailer. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif[/img]
It's my right as a consumer to boycott for any reason, or none at all if I just feel like it.
[/quote]

Sure, but if your boycott causes unjust harm to another, because you accepted bogus information
from an internet sight, you're still culpable to the evil the boycott caused.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the information is bogus, but I've only seen one side of the story.

Jim

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1257533267' post='1997212']
Sure, but if your boycott causes unjust harm to another, because you accepted bogus information
from an internet sight, you're still culpable to the evil the boycott caused.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the information is bogus, but I've only seen one side of the story.

Jim
[/quote]
Whom am I harming in choosing to exercise my right as a consumer to support whatever organization pleases me?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 November 2009 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1257533455' post='1997218']
Whom am I harming in choosing to exercise my right as a consumer to support whatever organization pleases me?
[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 November 2009 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1257533455' post='1997218']
[/quote]

A boycott hurts business. If it hurts the business it can also hurt the people who work there, who have nothing to do with this issue.

Jim

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1257533786' post='1997224']
A boycott hurts business. If it hurts the business it can also hurt the people who work there, who have nothing to do with this issue.

Jim
[/quote]
That's how the market works. They can find another job. Especially considering that in a boycott, the competitors will have increased business and will therefore hire a greater proportion of workers.
Immoral businesses deserve to fail.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 November 2009 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1257534068' post='1997227']
That's how the market works. They can find another job. Especially considering that in a boycott, the competitors will have increased business and will therefore hire a greater proportion of workers.
Immoral businesses deserve to fail.
[/quote]

I'm speaking from a Christian perspective, not a capitalists.

If you're actions cause harm to an innocent person, you are culpable.

Jim

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1257533786' post='1997224']

Jim
[/quote]
The same line of logic would stand against the right of workers to strike, but the Church upholds that, too.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1257534706' post='1997234']
I'm speaking from a Christian perspective, not a capitalists.

If you're actions cause harm to an innocent person, you are culpable.

Jim
[/quote]
How is someone innocent by supporting an immoral organization with their labour?