An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Life Fair

add

is life fair  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='elizabeth09' date='13 November 2009 - 07:12 AM' timestamp='1258121545' post='2002087']
What is fairness to you?
[/quote]
I identify fairness with the good. Life (i.e., existence) is a good which all human beings, made in the image of God, possess.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='apparently' date='07 November 2009 - 08:01 AM' timestamp='1257595280' post='1997671']
Au contraire, your actions in this world are most certainly ofgreat consequence.

The trials of life can be cruel, the trials can be unjust, but thetrails may too open your eyes.

Enlightenment is the goal.
[/quote]
This world only matters insofar as it affects one's eternal salvation, because nothing else will last. That is what I meant when I said "this world means nothing, in and of itself."

As I look at life, you may lose someone very dear to you and you say "Why is life not fair?" Because life is not always fair. Sometime we have to put on without that one person.

[quote name='XIX' date='13 November 2009 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1258128641' post='2002136']
This world only matters insofar as it affects one's eternal salvation, because nothing else will last. That is what I meant when I said "this world means nothing, in and of itself."
[/quote]

and what of the life of Jesus, in your (this) line of thought?

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

I looked at all the different definitions for "fair." One was "a beloved woman." I believe that God, the Father, the Son, the Spouse, the Comforter, the Prince of Peace, the Protector... sees all of His children as his beloved children - I have no doubt that He sees the true nature of our souls - that of tender women (don't freak out, men!). Challenges, difficulties, sadnesses, sorrows, horrors only serve to bring us closer to Him, to allow ourselves to rest within Him and to stand behind Him. We cannot compare one's life to another's - we know we have only today to love Him - so the common usage of the word "fair" is one I cannot relate to in considering life.

My favorite prayer is from St. Teresa's bookmark...(forgive me if I put forth a translation different than the ones you all know)...

Let nothing disturb thee
Let nothing affright thee
All things are passing
God alone never changes

I believe - totally - that we were created to know, love and serve Him. To consider what is "fair" - he has broader shoulders than me - she is prettier than me - I have a child with significant challenges - and she doesn't - are all questions designed to take us off the track of what we were created for. (Don't get me wrong! I am not insane enough to believe that believing and knowing this removes our human condition of emotional responses to these things!)

So, again, I looked at the question from a different perspective. In that case, we are all beloved, created in perfection, by His Holy Hand. What we do with it is a different story!

Pax,

TradMom

No, life isn't fair. It's not what happens to you that is important but what you do with what happens to you. Because sometimes we get what we don't deserve and don't get what we do deserve. And sometimes that can be a good thing.