An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Life Fair

add

is life fair  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='04 November 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1257369964' post='1996216']
Neither life or people are fair. If life was fair babies wouldn't die of cancer or neglect. If people were fair we wouldn't have violence or war.
[/quote]

But we live in a fallen state seperated from God, because He is just.

So, God's justice = fairness.

God's bigger picture has yet to be seen by us.

Meanwhile, I trust in His fairness.

Jim

Servus_Mariae

I think that the unfairness of life is a just consequence to sin. When in an infant dies because of malnutrition in Africa but another infant is fed and warm in America while simultaneously the two infants bear equal dignity...that's not fair. But sin permits this unfairness which is the just consequence of sin...but its still not fair.

Mark of the Cross

[quote]Dam' it Jim (ST emoticon) You're not paying attention. Someone gave your post a minus. 'Nunsense' kindly gave you a plus which has cancelled it.I would have done it but that phacility is a pet hate of mine. Phor the phollowing reason.[/quote]

Ah its the +/- thingy on the corner of the post.

Gee, I never paid attention to it.

Seems to me, when a person gives you a minus, its like spitting on your words. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]

OH well. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif[/img]

Jim

Life is not fair and it is deliberate, planned and subjectto all rich, poor, faithful and faithless. All who inhabit the earth from Adam and Eve to today and tomorrow? Ever Jesus Christ had his moments of doubtand pain. It is said that just before hedied Jesus did cried with a loud voice, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsakenme”

There is no escape

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='04 November 2009 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1257370249' post='1996217']

Jim
[/quote]
God's justice doesn't mean life is fair by any stretch of the imagination.

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='04 November 2009 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1257369658' post='1996209']
Apparently, so are intelligence, courtesy, sincerity, loyalty, responsibility, working your bum off, giving your all, basically anything that makes you a decent human being these days.
[/quote]
umm..ok...

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='04 November 2009 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1257370249' post='1996217']

Jim
[/quote]
I could agree with this. Look at the Beatitudes for instance.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='04 November 2009 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1257376229' post='1996272']
God's justice doesn't mean life is fair by any stretch of the imagination.
[/quote]

I'm not talking about life just here on earth, but life enternal.

God has the big picture, we don't, so what may seem unfair here in this life, will become
fair in the next.

Jim

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='05 November 2009 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1257428822' post='1996489']
I'm not talking about life just here on earth, but life enternal.

God has the big picture, we don't, so what may seem unfair here in this life, will become
fair in the next.

Jim
[/quote]

in the next life one may comprehend the suffering endured on earth and maybe somehow benefit.
however, not ever, not in this lifetime.:ohno:

[quote name='apparently' date='06 November 2009 - 08:06 AM' timestamp='1257509203' post='1997032']
in the next life one may comprehend the suffering endured on earth and maybe somehow benefit.
however, not ever, not in this lifetime.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Dispare is a lack of faith.

I'm 58 years of age, and have gone through many trials.

I don't see life as being unfair, because I place my trust in God, and he has gotten me through
everything I've gone through.

If I look around and see life as unfair, all I have to do is look at Our Blessed Mother.

Here was a holy woman, who followed her religion devoutly, yet, look what they did to her son?

Did she see life as unfair? What we know is, she trusted in God completely.

Jim

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 November 2009 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1257519598' post='1997073']
Dispare is a lack of faith.

I'm 58 years of age, and have gone through many trials.

I don't see life as being unfair, because I place my trust in God, and he has gotten me through
everything I've gone through.

If I look around and see life as unfair, all I have to do is look at Our Blessed Mother.

Here was a holy woman, who followed her religion devoutly, yet, look what they did to her son?

Did she see life as unfair? What we know is, she trusted in God completely.

Jim
[/quote]
She had the advantage of walking around full of grace, we do not.
I see very little fairness in this life at any level.
Surely belief in some higher power to set things right is the only thing that keeps many people
going in the face of pain, tragedy and despair.
For a large portion of the world , just about anything has to be better than this.

Saint Therese

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='03 November 2009 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1257310601' post='1995983']
I thought young people were the cynical and jaded ones these days.
[/quote]

I was cynical and jaded when I was in elementary school; its only now that I have trust in Jesus that I've become more optimistic.

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='04 November 2009 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1257357777' post='1996155']
fairness is overrated
[/quote]

Agreed.