An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canonical Requirements For Being Pope

ChristinaTherese

ChristinaTherese

We got into talking about this after breaking up into groups on the first night of RCIA last night (I'm going to see what more I can learn, not seeking any more sacraments), because we didn't have anything specific to talk about.... (Until we started going nerdy the conversation was pretty slow. I hope that we didn't accidentally scare anyone off because of that though, but with the group we had I doubt that we did.) What we came up with was this:

1) Catholic

2) Male

The leader of the group said that it was theoretically possible for there to be a married pope, since there are married priests. I have to wonder though, because the Orthodox have a rule (I think) that married priests cannot be made bishops, and I would assume that the same sort of rule could apply for us.

So my question, in short, is this: Is it even possible to have a married pope?

Canon 332 § 1 of the 1983 Code simply states that one already a bishop (nb: not necessarily a cardinal) who accepts legitimate papal election becomes pope immediately. One who is not yet a bishop (and the Church has elected several non-bishops to the papacy) can accept election, but must be immediately consecrated bishop. By implication, that would seem to require that a papabile:

(a) be male, and be willing (b) to be baptized, (c) ordained deacon, priest, and bishop, and (d) have the use of reason in order to accept election and, if necessary, holy orders.