An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theological Junk, Yo

the171

PhuturePriest

I ordered a sixty class college course on philosophy. It goes back to the Greeks to most likely modern philosophers like Nietzche. I can't wait for Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas. Philosophy is just so amazing...

If you are looking for writings that focus on Byzantine theology I could recommend several Eastern Christian theologians:

Vladimir Lossky:
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • In the Image and Likeness of God
  • The Vision of God

Fr. John Meyendorff:

• A Study of St. Gregory Palamas
  • Catholicity and the Church
  • Byzantine Theology: Historical Trends and Doctrinal Themes
  • Christ in Eastern Christian Thought

Aristedeis Papadakis:

• Crisis in Byzantium: The Filioque Controversy in the Patriarchate of Gregory II of Cyprus (1283-1289)
  • The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy: The Church 1071-1453 A.D (Church History, Vol 4)

George Maloney, S.J.:

• A Theology of Uncreated Energies

I was too for 18 years. :saint2:

I wanted to be Eastern for a while. It just isn't my thing. I like Rome! I like the Latin rite! I'm a Latinista!

Evangetholic

God forgive my forgetful soul

the171 my fellow French exile in this Anglo world

Get your hands on some of Bishop Bossuet's writings

I'm not sure what's been translated into English, but I'm certain he's not languishing away untranslated.

He's mostly known for his sermons, but they are deep and magisterial in nature.

Edited by Evangetholic

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Jacques-B%C3%A9nigne+Bossuet

Well go for it. I've never read him in English. His French is very clear and precise.

You don't know how excited I become when I get my hands on a French manuscript. I GET SO PUMPED. SO PUMPED. I want to read Thérèse's original Story of a Soul.

I wanted to be Eastern for a while. It just isn't my thing. I like Rome! I like the Latin rite! I'm a Latinista!

I used to think the same thing, but I became enamored of the Eastern Fathers, and the more I read them the Eastern I became.

The book below, that is, if you are interested in Christology, is essential to any theologian interested in grasping the Church's doctrine of the incarnation:

Fr. John McGuckin, St. Cyril of Alexandria the Christological Controversy: Its History Theology and Texts (New York: E.J. Brill, 1994; Reprinted by St Vladimirs Seminary Prress, 2010).

I used to think the same thing, but I became enamored of the Eastern Fathers, and the more I read them the Eastern I became.

The book below, that is, if you are interested in Christology, is essential to any theologian interested in grasping the Church's doctrine of the incarnation:

Fr. John McGuckin, St. Cyril of Alexandria the Christological Controversy: Its History Theology and Texts (New York: E.J. Brill, 1994; Reprinted by St Vladimirs Seminary Prress, 2010).

Looks good!

But you don't understand. I was ALL UP IN THAT. I read the Eastern Fathers and I do love the Divine Liturgy, but that isn't where God wants me. :)

Evangetholic

I have a large number of great theology books on the Church Fathers in pdf format.  I can, if you have a particular area of interest, email you a book or two.

Here are a few of the titles I have:

1.  Gregory of Nazianzus on the Trinity and the Knowledge of God, In Your Light We Shall See Light (2008).

2.  Hilary of Poitiers on the Trinity, From De Fide to De Trinitate (2008).

3.  Free Choice in St. Maximus the Confessor (1989).

4.  Of God and Man, Theology as Anthropology from Irenaeus to Athanasius (2009).

I also have some dissertations in pdf format.

I particularly liked the one entitled:  The Doctrine of the Trinity in the Theology of Gregory Palamas, by Fr. M. Edmund Hussey.

ahem

Looks good!

But you don't understand. I was ALL UP IN THAT. I read the Eastern Fathers and I do love the Divine Liturgy, but that isn't where God wants me. :)

That is cool. What I found interesting about the Eastern Fathers was the subtle distinctions they made in their theology, e.g., the distinction between á¼ÎºÏ€ÏŒÏÎµÏ…σις and Ï€ÏÎ¿ÏŠÎ­Î½Î±Î¹ in the procession of the Holy Spirit.

Dom Gueranger is excellent! His case for canonization was opened a few years ago. I have a little book of meditations he wrote on the Holy Mass.

He really is! I've read a fair few of his writings and my instant impression was that he should be canonised. Have you read his book on the liturgy?